Need help on purchasing air tools

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
I am looking at purchasing an air compressor for multiple purposes.

I want to be able to use it for working on my cars using Air ratchet, impact gun, air hammer etc.

I also however want to be able to use a nail gun with it for building projects (building small buildings, roofing etc.)

I have gone to sears and am looking at two air compressors, however I am not sure what the difference is.

Here are the two I am looking at.

This first one states that it has a cut in and cut out pressure. As soon as it drops to 115 psi the compressor kicks in. The other compressor does not state at what PSI it cuts in.

This compressor is 30 Gal with 5hp for $399.00

http://www.sears.com/sr....ressors

This compressor is 33 Gal with 6hp AND comes with 3 air tools and is $299.88

This one sounds like the better deal at face value, but it is $100.00 cheaper. There must be something going on as to why the other one is more expensive,

Here is the next one

http://www.sears.com/sr....ressors

And also, I am wanting to get a nail gun type device, but I want to be able to use it for framing, building fences etc.

But I also want to use it for a roofing project I am going to do this summer (replace my roof myself)

So far, it is looking like a roofing nailer and a framing nailer are two totally different nailers, the most important issue is controlling the depth of the nail for doing roofing.

Are there any nailers out there that can perform both jobs I want? Or is that just the bottom line.. you need two different kinds of nailers?

Any input would greatly be appreciated..

Thanks

Ron

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112460819 -->

The 6 horse one sounds like a good deal, if you can fit a vertical tank.

You might want a better impact gun, but that can come later.

I'm not positive about the nail guns, but I think you will need 2 different guns. And plenty of hose.
biggrin.gif
Look for the reel that Sears sells for about $50-$60 with 100 ft of air hose.

Just keep in mind that bigger is better. I would go with the 6hp that should do just about every thing you need it to do. One thing to look at is SCFM delivery. The higher the number the more types of tools it will be able to run. The reason the smaller one is more is because it has a oil lubed compressor that is made out of cast iron. This is a better setup for longer life and quiet operation. For light use the other one will be fine.

FYI -

I went to Sears yesterday and I went ahead and purchased the 33 gal, 6hp compressor.

I did however find out the difference between the two (or at least the main difference so to why the 30 gal 5hp was more expensive than the 33 gal 6hp)

While the more expensive compressor was 3 gal smaller and a full horse power less, the difference is that the more expensive 30 gal 5hp is a two stage compressor while the less expensive 33 gal 6hp is only a one stage compressor.

As it was explained to me, the two stage compressor has two pistons, so when it runs it is able to compress air into the tank faster than the single stage compressor which only has 1 piston.

So the extra 3 gal is not really that important because a 2 stage compressor ca get it back up to PSI faster than the single stage.

Plus the more expensive 2 stage compressor runs quieter.

I went ahead and purchased the 33 gal anyway. I figured this is a hobby and a project compressor, not something I will be using for making a living.

And the air tools it came with are all craftsman, and I got a impact wrench, ratchet wrench and an air hammer (not sure what the heck an air hammer is but it sounds fun
smile.gif
)

Just thought I would post what I found out about the compressor's

Thanks all for the input…

I like Sears and if you poke around, somewhere out there is a guide for what Compressor will work for what application. 6HP with a big tank should run just about anything. Check on oil requirements and such though, some of these compressors can be maintenance whores...

Congrats.

Ron, not a big fan of the sears compressors,I bought a commercial 2 stage, as far as the nail gun goes, cant help you there. Very glad to see you back, now get that globe & anchor up and spinnin! Semper Fi!
smile.gif

I have that 33 gal. compressor, but the free tools are totally useless. The impact gun doesn't have enough balls to loosen the lug nuts on my car.

I don't recall what it is at the moment, but all air tools have an efficiency rating that determines how much air it uses to operate. The cheap tools will cause your compressor to cycle on faster, while the more expensive tool uses less air.

You will spring for the better tool when you have to listen to that compressor inside the garage!

I got mine as a birthday present, otherwise I would have bought the two-stage model.

Ron don't spend any money till we talk....I have every air tool that you can think of and your welcome to use any or all of them. Air ratchets, impact guns in 3/8",1/2",3/4",1" air drill, sanders, framing nail gun, coil nailer for roofing....I work for a roofing company.

The important thing about a compressor is the CFM rating....cubic feet per minute. Twin cylinder pump will put out a higher number. Most air tools only require 90 psi to operate. Your looking for the highest CFM rating and the largest tank capacity that you can afford. Be careful about those package deals with air tools...the tools are pretty much junk.

Two stage compressor has 2 pistons, a primary and a secondary.  They compress the air in stages, it goes through the large one first and then the smaller one cranks up the PSI.  They are more efficient and QUIETER!  Which if you are working in your garage can be a significant factor.  I have the 6 hp vertical sears and have run several nail guns at the same time. It is 3 years old and running strong.

If I had the $, I'd a got the 2 stage.

Cheep air tools will work OK, especially for the DIYer under one condition...

...you must keep them oiled.  Get yerself a pint/quart of air tool oil and a second oil can.  Label the oil can (squeeze handle type with a flexable vinal tubing spout - $2 from harbor freight) and label it air tool oil.  Before you use your air tools, at the start of each day, & then at lunch time, put 5 or 6 drops of oil into the air port of the tool.  

I have a few el-cheepo air tools in the auto shop & with daily oiling they work fine and last quite a while.

Nail guns are all different. Framing nailer is the most heavy duty and will blow up to 4" long nails. Stick type only, but you much choose from solid head or notched head nails. I got the Porter cable angles stick type with solid head naild. Check out the prices of the nails first (like buying a printer and checking out the cartrige prices first). the solid head nails hold better, are cheaper, and the angled bottom of the gun lets it get into tighter areas. The advantage of the notched head nails is they can get more of them into a smaller stick.

Roofing nailers I believe only come in the coil type. Again I got the Porter cable. Thing runs like a bat outa hell! With 2 other people helping, I got the entire roof (26 x 32 house ona 4-12 pitch with 2' eaves) with tar paper, done in one day!

One person open bundles, one person lays out the shingles in the right place and I get to run down the line shooting nails! Itworks so fast you (well I anyway) can run outta nails and not notice it until 3-4 shingles later!

Hope this helps!

I like 2 stage oiled compressors better due to the noise level. The oil free craftsman compressors are the noisest thing I've ever heard. Get an external dryer/regulator for it as well. Your tools will last much longer with the dryer and the regulator will be a have-to when doing any port and polish work.

As far as tools, I like the MAC composite line. I used to be a mechanic and loved these tools. They are lightweight, have tons of torque and last a long time as long as you use a dryer and oil them often. They are expensive though for just a hobby and the weight will not be a factor like it was for me using them 9 hrs a day.

Back