HELP! REV's One year anniversary... And a problem.

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
OK, it has been a fun year, I am still here, Lilah is healthy, and I haven't hurt anything.   Been A good time...

Problem is as of tomorrow my Warranty expires and it is decision time...  Extended Warranty?  YES OR NO.

I know it has come up before but this time you all get to decide for me.  I cannot make up my mind, I go back and forth...  Mods or Warranty...  $500 or so Bucks would provide some interesting modifications... But, if Lilah craps out on me without a Warranty I'll be out of pocket...  SO, You guys decide, I promise I will take whichever action you all decide is appropriate... Without holding anyone responsible of course...  

So
Warranty?  YES or NO
rock.gif
?

Thanks all....

Rev

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082125105 -->

If she held together for a year with no problems she'll be ok for many more to come. I voided my factory warranty a few months after ownership. The owner of the shop where I bought my Busa even told me it was a waste. Btw, my one year was on 4-10-04. Congrats on a safe year!

Glad you bought this topic up Rev as my warranty expires next month. I'm torn because I've had some say do it and some say it's not worth it. $500 is alot of $$$$. I've heard nightmares too about dealers making owners jump through hoops to honor the warranty. It's a tough decision, and I too am running out of time.

It's really not worth it. You gotta figure, the dealer can make an issue about the smallest of all mods for nothing. Not to say you can't fight it and get your way, but is it worth it. Unless your're doin' 80-100mph rollin' burnouts and 5mile 12o'clock wheelies you're really not gonna hurt much. Also keep in mind when something fails it's always better to replace it with something aftermarket thats built stronger ie.. starter gear or cam chain issues can be repaired with much better bullet proof components. If you dish out the $$$ for a warranty and are actually lucky enough to use it, you'll only be getting the same part that failed anyway. My .02. Hope it helps.

I guess you should ask yourself if you ride like you may need warentee work? Have you done anything to void the original warentee? (Prolly nor or you wouldn't be askin.)

If so...

Blow it off.

If not, and you have the $, and yer a gamblin man...

Do it.

While I do not have a bike yet, I did want to throw in here that Comsumer Reports states that for the most part the aftermarket warranty is not worth it. That the warranty is a HUGE money maker for the company, for they rarely have to follow up on the warranty...and if they do they will argue the extent of their liability to make good on it (as BigDawg has already mentioned)

With that said, we purchased the extended warranty for my wife's car...Such hypocracy
down.gif

Jeffrey

The decision comes up for me in a few months and what makes it more complicated is that I won't even be available to ride it when it happens! Should I drop the cash for the extended warranty for a bike that at that time may have about 1500 miles and I won't be able to ride for another 9 to 10 months? I think mine might be a little easier to answer, but I'm still torn! I don't usually do anything about extended warranties and I would say no to you, Rev, but it is a prized possession! Think I will do like you and let someone else decide for me!

I guess you should ask yourself if you ride like you may need warentee work?  Have you done anything to void the original warentee? (Prolly nor or  you wouldn't be askin.)  

If so...

Blow it off.

If not, and you have the $, and yer a gamblin man...

Do it.
My thoughts exactly. Also, they may look at Rev's Akro bolt-on's and not want to honor sh*t. I have heard stories of people even throwing the old stock pipe on and getting turned down just because it was tampered with. They really have you by the ba!!s when it comes to warranty stuff. For $500 bucks I would invest in a higher CCA battery and do a general p.m. on the bike. Check and replace everythink questionable.

Nearly 3 earson the busa and the only prolem i had was the starter, which Suzuki relaced for free since it was a manufacturer default. It occured after the initial warranty had expired. Since then it seems to be bulet proof. Talking to others who have older busas they seem to run hard and well....So my vote is spend the $500 on mods or an alarm

i took when i finaced the bike
didn't make a diff on the monthly payments

500 is nothing, my cousin busted his engine after 14 months and that is after riding only one and a half season (canadian season)

good he took the warranty

If you like gambling don't take it
if you're a good mechanic don't take it

If you are lazy like me, take it

Hope I didn't confuse you!
biggrin.gif

If you ride 10K-15K miles per year like I do in Florida - I'd say the chances are pretty good you will have a claim. Hopefully Suzuki will pay - it's worth it for me to know that if something major goes south that it might get fixed by warranty.

Okay Revilicious or whatever the heck your name is this month.....Babuski is ready to make his ruling

1) As I told VA Busa months ago if you do get an extended warranty, make sure it is not a third party insurance company...get the one with suzukis name on it. Then you have recourse against suzuki whereas with a third party insurance company that has a crappy rating can go bust at anytime. I would hope that zuki is in business for years to come.....

2) As someone said earlier, they are a huge profit center for dealers. They will make greater net profit on an extended warranty than on your midnight falcon at original purchase. Hence THERE IS HUGE ROOM FOR NEGOTIATION. The price range I saw for Sukis SEP (extended protection plan) was $800 on the high side and $400 on the low side. I have gotten extended warranties on all my vehicles (one claim paid for all of them btw.....so it was worth it) and NEVER paid the asking price. Bargain hard with these guys and play them off each other. You can easily knock 10-20% off the price.

3) As for filing claims and getting paid....I don't think anyone is going to f**k with the fastest color. It may be a bit of a pain, but if you follow the terms (no crazy mods and do the P.M.....) you will be able to collect. You may have to threaten legal action, but it doesnt often come to that.

4) Peace of mind is important here too. the money could be used for mods, but an expense repair ain't no fun.

5) you could sock the money away and use it to pay for anything down the road. Then you will be less out of pocket. But this takes discipline that few folks have---especially the whackjobs on this board (That I love so much!!) who take every paycheck and put it into every conceivable mod there is..

Now Revonator, go forth and ride and may the next 365 days bring you joy, safety and zero defects!!!!

And Revlis....you have 4,700 posts....

Between this board and Lilah, your wife must miss you....take the money and buy her something real real nice---NOT

Buy the warranty!

I too have been thinking about this, and I'm opting to NOT get extended coverage simply because I feel that dealers will hassle the sh*t out of you if you do take the bike in for warranty work...

I know, I know...some guys have great stories of things being taken care of on the spot and not having to argue...I'm more jaded toward insurance of any kind anymore...seems that no matter what I'm paying for, they fight me tooth and nail to find a loop hole and not cover it...

I've got some guys at a local performance shop that I really trust, and I don't mind giving them the money when I need something fixed...

I'd go with spending some of your hard earned money on something nice for Lilah (or your wife as said up there!)...if something breaks, there's a good chance you'll be paying for it no matter what you decide...

This is jaded, irritated VaBusa signing off...
mad.gif
cool.gif

Yep....I agree with VA.....good to have you around for the last year. You are definitely in the running for the Chevrolet MVP (most valuable poster...along with Captain and the other great folks that keep this forum going).

With VA...she's got a shop she can trust. If you had the same, I might consider not getting the warranty. But if you buy it from a dealer you like and know, you may get some great good will down the road.

Well Raider's 2 cents < Actually $385 seeing as how I bought the warranty>
Is.... you guessed it... Buy the SUZUKI Warranty.
Having PERSONALLY handled many claims for many Suzuki customers...
some with mods on the Bike, Suzuki is pretty good with standing behind their
product with Good faith claims. Plus with Labor rates climbing north of $75/hr
Any claim will pay for the Warranty. And its good for 4yrs... unlimited mileage....
Good thing cause by the time my warranty expires my Busa
will have 150K+ on her.

BUY THE WARRANTY!!!

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "MYOB!!! &lt;G&gt;"|1082135713 -->

Back