Help guys, stuck in Nevada?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I know, I know, I shoulda taken the Busa but I ride the Honda just as much and it’s always performed well, never stranding me, even when I rode it to Montana a few years back. But, it’s still 39 years old. Anyway, I had a great ride up and over 9,624’, the Sonora pass. Weather was spectacular and even in the snow it was in the mid 70s! As I got onto 395, the eastern most highway north and south in California I noticed the volt meter was decreasing. Unlike most bikes the old CBX has a set of brushes on the alternator like an old style generator but they were changed less than a year ago. The battery is just two years old and is always on a tender. And, it’s always charged properly on my recent rides, almost as long as this one about 260 miles. So, luckily I made it to my motel just over the border and off the mountain, as the voltmeter went down and down. After stopping and trying to start it, nothing, not a sound.

Now, the question I have, hoping for the best scenario, is this, IF the battery took a dump, as its losing voltage, would the alternator still show a proper charging rate of 13.7v+ as usual OR, would it show a decreasing level of recharging? If the latter is true all I may need is a new battery. If not, I’m probably screwed and will have to leave the bike and rent a car to get home. Then, I’ll still have to get back here to ride the bike home! CRAP?
AF0434DC-8757-4E5A-B603-5210CCEF1EB4.jpeg
99506EFF-2DF0-42E9-8758-2ADCFB868FE9.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh man, I feel your pain!
If I was there, I could pull out the old No. 8 wire and fix the old girl good enough for you to get home at least.
I've had cars that have battery voltage of 9v when the motor is not running, start the motor and the alternator jumps the voltage up to 14v.
You could see if anyone at the motel has jumper leads, get it started and leave the leads connected and see if it's charging, if it doesn't charge with the jump leads connected, I'd say it's your alternator is at fault. It may be the reg/rectifier faulty.
If you can borrow a charger, charge the battery and you may have enough juice to get home?? Dunno.
I have a pick up truck, but I'm at the other end of the planet and may find it a little difficult to get there in time lol.
Can you get a salvage vehicle (tow truck) to take you and your bike home?
Are you at Topaz Lake?

Last edited:
Yes I’m at Topaz Lake south of a lil town, farther south of a bigger one, all in Nevada. I have the best tow company around so I can get it flat bedded into town but I’ll have to call around in the morning and (swear) ‘I’m out on tour so can you get me right in?’:D to see if there’s a shop/dealer who’d take me. Since it should be a generic electrical problem requiring simple testing, and it IS the battery, then great. But, if testing shows something seriously CBXish, I’m probably going to have to leave it or rent a truck (one way)? to bring it back or rent a car to get home.

Hope you get the bike sorted CBXRider , tough riding on a trip by yourself if something goes wrong . We all need a riding buddy like Kiwi Rider , to help get things right ! This sort of incident worries me even on a close to home ride , let alone a proper distance ride . Let us know how you go , and all the best mate .

Yes I’m at Topaz Lake south of a lil town, farther south of a bigger one, all in Nevada. I have the best tow company around so I can get it flat bedded into town but I’ll have to call around in the morning and (swear) ‘I’m out on tour so can you get me right in?’:D to see if there’s a shop/dealer who’d take me. Since it should be a generic electrical problem requiring simple testing, and it IS the battery, then great. But, if testing shows something seriously CBXish, I’m probably going to have to leave it or rent a truck (one way)? to bring it back or rent a car to get home.
it sounds stupid.. but did u check ure battery connections... all is tight and uncorroded? something got wet?

Oh man, this stinks......I'm sure you had so many more fantastic views to share with us! :D

Seriously, hope you get the bike home safely! Hate that you're having any issues at all :banghead:

I think you need an alternator - hope you are able to resolve this quickly.

BTW, how is Sonora Pass? Thinking of riding up there this weekend. Is there a lot of sand, gravel? Water run-off?

Hopefully it is just a crapped out battery and the signal is confusing your regulator into thinking it is fully charged.

"I know I know, I shoulda taken the Busa but..."
HA don't be so hard on the ole girl, I have seen worse issues on six month old scoots you'll get this hiccup sorted and be as reliable as any out there. :thumbsup:
AND I sure could think of a lot worse places to be "stranded".

Been there man, lost a rectifier on my old 1150 up in Canada. I paid a gas station operator to let me charge my battery. Made it back to Bellingham before she puked for good. Had to rent a truck to make the last 50 miles or so. Renting a truck or van would be your best bet. Hope you get it worked out!

At motor cycle weekend in Laconia one year I was on My buddy's CB5550 and something in the wiring went
We ran a 12v DIRECT to the Point's and coils,,,,,,,rode it home
no charging no lights no starter

AHHHHHH the olden days:rolleyes:

Back