Help: generator cover

Lapp

Registered
Please help.  I did something stupid.  My bike fell off its side stand and got some scuffs on the generator cover.  I then had the bright idea to remove the cover and paint it myself.  I didn't realize oil would come out like it did.

How do I get the thing back together without it leaking later?  Do I need to drain all the oil out of the bike and then clean the area dry or can I put it back on with some oil around the seal/gasket?  Do I need a new gasket or will the old one work?  I read the service manual and it said to add some threadlock on the bolts and tighten to 7 ft/lbs. but didn't mention much else.

Darn, I wish I would have just painted it on the bike instead of removing it, now I have a mess and not quite sure how to correct it.

There is about a quart of oil in a drip pan and I'm waiting to hear from someone here before I proceed so I don't mess it up any more.
smile.gif

TIA for any help.

I've taken them off dozens of times and reused the gasket.

Just check for leaks. Wet or dry,doesn't matter. Dont over tighten those bolts...7 pounds is nothing. Loctite not critical either.

Then fire it up,shut it down,let sit for 5 minutes and top up as nessecary in the sight glass.

RSD.

Back