changed stator cover

SANDFLEA85

Registered
I just put a chrome stator cover on (will add pic when it stops leaking) I did put a new gasket on,everything went on smooth,tight fit,went for a ride,when i returned i put it on the kickstand and oil immediately began to run out?
rock.gif
?? i thought of using some blue sealer instead of the gasket...anybody have this problem after changint to chrome,any ideas,its driving me nutz!!

I used silicoln sealer instead of the gasket. Put it on the Stator cover & allow it to skin. Then put it on the bike. This way it will no stick/seal to the bike makeing a difficult time should you need to remove it again. I have had no issues of leaks.

Hmmmm, sounds like you used a chrome cover.

If you don't use some form of gasket maker \ sealant with the gasket it will leak. The chrome will allow fluids to get past.

so should i use the silicone by itself or use it in conjunction with the gasket..wont the heat effect the silicone??

I added a bead of black adhesive silcone to the cover itself then applyed gasket to that and then installed,ran it until it heated up and put it on side stand..no leaks...wooohoo!! thanks for the input fellas

(DEVLDOG @ May 10 2007,17:50) I added a bead of black adhesive silcone to the cover itself then applyed gasket to that and then installed,ran it until it heated up and put it on side stand..no leaks...wooohoo!!  thanks for the input fellas
The .Org
muscle.gif

I have a tendency to use the silicon sealant along with a gasket just in case something isn't perfectly milled. I've changed stators 3 or 4 times using this technique, and I've had no problems.

DevlDog - can you tell me if you re-used the gasket or did you buy a new one as I am having the same issue with my little CBR600. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Loc-Tite 518 or 516 gasket maker. Doesn't dry until under pressure (screw the stator on) works great. My friend rebuilt an entire Busa engine with this stuff 10,000 miles ago and she still runs strong no leaks.

Good silicone sealants are unaffected by engine heat. There are a lot of silicone products used for baking foods in 500 degree ovens so a stator gasket application is "cake" I know ... terrible pun!
Glad your problem was resolved

Back