Help!! FI Warning!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

It was, as Francois first suggested, a bent pin. Each injector has two pins and there is also a plug on the Bazzaz harness for the same injector. The bazzaz harness connector that connect inline to primary injector #1 had one bent pin. I am a little amazed at just how slight the bend was. I would have never noticed because as you can see from this pic, the pins look pretty darned straight. It's a little hard to tell from this pic but one of the pins was turned up just a tiny bit. What really made me notice the problem was that the bent pin looked shorter than the other pin. You cannot see that in this pic. I would have never noticed anything was amiss if I was not looking at it very close.

Z-Fi connector with good pins
bazscndryinj1.jpg

Z-Fi connector with one bent pin (was the one to the left)
bazpriminjct1.jpg

Most of us would think the pin would have gotten all mashed up in the plug if it was not straight. No. Apparently just gets pushed aside without going into the female contact in the other half of the plug. It was barely perceptible, but the plug was a little harder to push together too. What really tipped me off was that the wire slid into the back of the connector when I pushed it in from behind. When I pushed the wire forward, the pins inside became both the same length.

I tried about 3 times bending the contact down with a tiny screwdriver before I succeeded it to enguage properly. The wire did not push out the back so I assumed that the contacts must have slid together properly.

I turned the key on. Still had the C-00 code on the display. Just means there is NO FAULT with the engine not running. I started the motor and the C-00 was still there. That means NO FAULT with the motor running!!! NO code!! I pulled the jumper wire out of the diagnostic plug and lo and behold---I have my odo back, NO FI warnings flashing. It's fixed.
Engine running after error fixed, diagnostic plug jumped,
diagjumpdclearedcode.jpg

Engine running after error fixed, diagnostic plug jumper removed
cleardcodediagunjumped.jpg

Thanks to everyone for advise. Who was it that said "CHECK THE PINS??????"

Yep, I don't expect anything to change much from here on in. LOL

I'll be installing a Z-AFM this winter. I'll have all sorts of questions on that.

I guess i forgot to end this story. turns out it was a bent contact in one of the eight plugs from the bazzaz harness to the injectors. I really could not tell the bike idled any different or that it ran poorly doing a simple road test around the neighborhood. Been a while but I am quite sure it was one of the primary injectors too, not one of the secondaries that only operates at WOT. Thanks Francois and hope you're still with Bazzaz. Great tech support.

any idea how THAT pin got bent in the 1st place?
Could have been clumsy installation on my part but I sort of doubt that. Bent pins are not uncommon with Bazzaz harnesses. Good products but keep an eye out for this problem....it is easy to not notice even f you look for it. Much easier to detect if there is a problem and you know which cylinder to scrutinize. I would have never seen it unless I was looking very closely. easily fixed with a micro screwdriver and bend the pin straight. It was just barely off but that was enough for it to not go in. Been working flawlessly for 4 years now.

Back