help a newbie launch!!

JDPZ28

Registered
going to the local 1/8th mile track this thursday night for a grudge match against a buddy of mine who has a '81 gs1100.
I think the best he has run is a 7.30? I know the Busa with a good rider will hand him his arse, but do I stand a chance?
Looking for advice on launch technique, etc. I have only had this bike for about a month and never raced it from a stop.

Check out some of my old posts for more details on getting into the 9's(1/4-mile)!

Mainly you want to get your body weight down on the tank.  Almost in a tucked position at a stand still.  Try launching at idle a couple times and then try raising your RPM's up as you get better.

I usually hold the RPM's at 4,000 and slip the clutch out as I get on the gas to keep it from bogging.  Whatever you do don't POP the clutch.  If you do, you will either spin the tire or wheelie over backwords.

Just get the clutch out quick and gas on quicker!  Shift at 11,000 RPM indicated without the clutch lever.  Just put pressure on the foot shift lever and blip the throttle as you bump the lever into the next gear.

You should be able to run in the high 6's just taking off normal but if you really want to put the hurts on your buddy start practicing a lot.  You should be able to get in the 6.50-.60's BONE STOCK!  
wink.gif

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Josh
blues.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083544711 -->

Your going to get your ass handed to you . Only had the bike one month and never raced from a stand still your going to get killed no matter what you do. I recommend you just go to the track and have some fun. Busa's are fast bike but not fast enough to overcome the lack of ridding ability. You'll see what I'm talking about . To get into the 6's in the 1/8 you need practice and correct bike setup tire pressure etc. Don't get me wrong the bike will do it just not with an inexperienced rider on it.

Your going to get your ass handed to you .  Only had the bike one month and never raced from a stand still your going to get killed no matter what you do.  I recommend you just go to the track and have some fun.  Busa's are fast bike but not fast enough to overcome the lack of ridding ability.  You'll see what I'm talking about .  To get into the 6's in the 1/8 you need practice and correct bike setup tire pressure etc.  Don't get me wrong the bike will do it just not with an inexperienced rider on it.
well I guess I got my ass handed to me
rock.gif

first run I lost. our track runs a .000 light and I turned a
-.057rt
2.0 60ft
7.338@106.1mph

to his
.177rt
1.8 60ft
7.602@93.5mph

So even though I lost the race I still beat him to the end
tounge.gif

That was my first run ever on the track with this bike and about my third ever on any bike.
I backed up that first run with 2 more 7.0@107mph with a 1.8 60ft.I also beat him on both of those runs as well.

Good work even though you jumped the light!

Keep practicing and break into the 6's!

yeah I know I definitely need more practice. On my last run(7.0) I slipped the clutch too long and realized it right away and ended up with a 1.9 60ft. I think had I had the 1.8 60ft from the run before I could have at least gotten a 6.9.
I let one of my other friends ride my bike last night to see what it could really do and he ran a 6.50 on his first pass.Talk about feeling like a newbie! Oh well, I'll be back there next thursday to practice some more.

Bodyweight has alot to do with it too. I'm 6'3 290lbs in full gear and with .024 RT 1.92 60ft All i managed was a 7.41 in the 1/8.
I'm launching around 4or5K rpms. Next time i'm going higher in the rpms on takeoff.

I hear ya on the weight as I am about 6'3" 240-250 dressed out. The guy that ran my bike 6.50's is about 110lbs soaking wet,lol.

Back