Busa went 9's owner went 10's

Ft Campbell Busa

Registered
Ok, I decided to take the Busa out to Beechbend Raceway for some 1/4 mile times. I have yet to run a 9sec pass so I finally wanted one before deploying. I took it down and went 10.2 as usual. My buddy was there who runs a ZX-12 and a much better rider took her down for me. He ran an 9.86 at 140 mph on the first pass! His 1/8th mile was a 6.3 which is way better than my normal 6.6 time. I took her to a best of 10.0 @138 that night but never made it to the 9's. I got that 10.0 by using the Brock launch technique on his site (like 2000rpm). Anytime I try 4000, 5000, etc... I get a horrible 60ft (1.8) from not getting to full throtle quickly. Any advice for me before I spend a year deployed with only a 10.0, lol? I asked my buddy what he launched my bike at but he says that he just listened to the motor. We both weigh in at 210 suited. I did have lots of fun regardless, bike got into the 9's,  and I got my best time of 10.0 with no mishaps.
Thanks again.
PS......I have a stock motor, 16t 42t, Shinko,  small air box mod, lowered, strapped, extended 5".

Congrats! That is a great time. It took me a long time to get my 9. Seat time is your friend!
beerchug.gif

(Professor @ Sep. 03 2007,13:29) Congrats! That is a great time. It took me a long time to get my 9.   Seat time is your friend!  
beerchug.gif
Thanks, I thought of you when I posted the topic. I followed your times when you were shooting for 9's also. Later

What does the rest of your time slip look like...?

From your mod list, you should easily be in the 9's as it sits so....I would just work on getting out of the hole quicker.  If you are already getting 1.6 60's then you need to work on your shifting.  

Are you shifting clutch (lever) less...?  You shouldn't be using the lever at all.  Just blip the throttle, snick it into the next gear, and then WFO again!  I am guessing you aren't doing that though since your MPH is low.  You should be running over 140...

Also are you running a stock tire...?  If you don't have a drag tire, I would think the 5" stretch is hurting you more than it's helping.  However, since your buddy got a 9.8 with it, you can def do it also...  
super.gif

Like they always say....PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE.....
cool.gif

What part are you deploying to? Maybe I'll see you over there next year...
pirate.gif

(Got-Busa? @ Sep. 04 2007,09:47) What does the rest of your time slip look like...?

From your mod list, you should easily be in the 9's as it sits so....I would just work on getting out of the hole quicker.  If you are already getting 1.6 60's then you need to work on your shifting.  

Are you shifting clutch (lever) less...?  You shouldn't be using the lever at all.  Just blip the throttle, snick it into the next gear, and then WFO again!  I am guessing you aren't doing that though since your MPH is low.  You should be running over 140...

Also are you running a stock tire...?  If you don't have a drag tire, I would think the 5" stretch is hurting you more than it's helping.  However, since your buddy got a 9.8 with it, you can def do it also...  
super.gif

Like they always say....PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE.....  
cool.gif

What part are you deploying to?  Maybe I'll see you over there next year...  
pirate.gif
Iraq for the third time.... I am still using the clutch as you guessed but my buddy did not. I guess that will get me more mph. Everytime I try it I miss second gear, lol. I ended up doing a 10.6 trying to blip the throttle. I can drive my suprcharged Mustang much better down the track than this machine, lol. How fast are you all getting to WOT? One guy at the track said to go as you are letting out of the clutch with no delay. That is much harder than I thought. I try to go full throotle and this thing throws me back and before I know it I am past the 60ft??? Someone even suggested a race seat. It was much easier before the sprocket change. I cant wait to get a 9 sec pass.Thanks

(_WOLFMAN_ @ Sep. 04 2007,20:19) Brocks set up for slammin and racing a Busa Part 1
http://www.brocksperformance.com/busa1.htm
and here is Part 2
http://www.brocksperformance.com/busa2.htm
Yep that is it! I did notice that my buddy only cut a 1.61 60ft vs me getting a 1.66 yet our ET was that much different. That little bit of difference in the first 60ft was worth 2/10ths in the 1/8th and 2/10ths in the quarter also. You 9sec stock off the showroom floor owners that I read about certainly have my respect. It seems that this bike decides the et in the first 60ft, lol. No making up for it on the big end like my car. Later

If you're in the 1.60 60' you should be breaking into the 9's and from your time slip you were very close. I still think you need to lauch harder and feather the clutch.
Those Tobin seats are great for racing if you're sliding around (low and have a back pad to keep you from sliding backward plus they are comfortable around town).

(McyMike @ Sep. 06 2007,12:04) If you're in the 1.60 60' you should be breaking into the 9's and from your time slip you were very close.  I still think you need to lauch harder and feather the clutch.
Those Tobin seats are great for racing if you're sliding around (low and have a back pad to keep you from sliding backward  plus they are comfortable around town).
Thanks, another local guy that visits the board had the same issue when switching sprockets. It takes a bit of getting used to. The Busa will throw you back against the cowl if you arent careful. I am having fun overall and enjoy all the cool guys on the board and track that I get to meet. Take care all.

I am hoping to get some Seat time on mine Sept 21st in Tulsa. I race other Bikes and My brother has been Racing the Busa which means testing days we share time. Out of my 8 passes i have went a 10.15 @138. hopefully with a full night of just me on it I can break into the 9's

get a shinko u-soft on it.they HOOK!!!!! about 16-22 psi is all you need.

also a couple other things...

make sure you hold your right elbow nice and high when you stage.
this will help insure that you really are getting to the throttle stop.
a lot of guys think they are wide open when running but they arn't.

by useing the clutch to shift you are losing a LOT of time.practice not using the clutch.

your buddy had almost the same 60' as you so your losing it after that part of the track.i bet these 2 things will get you your 9.
thumb_up.gif

Thanks for the Brock Link Very cool read right there..... In my garage trying to out engineer Suzuki R&D
Yep been there done that.. Anyone have a stock airbox? Haha...

sounds like a few more trips to the track and youll be in the 9s no problem good luck
Thanks, you all are making me home sick, lol. I am in Iraq but I did get the bike down to a 6.41 the last day out before leaving in the 1/8th. I believe that was my 9sec pass. I actually ran (3)back to back 6.4 passes that day. I just lowered the launch rpm and got to WOT quicker. Thanks

Back