Helmets too HOT in the summer

whats a helmet got to do with me being cool
laugh.gif

j/k no helmet means no ride

I can get up on my roof, the peek it is over 25ft, heck I am not sure. Not hard to find out.
I could drop a melon in an old lid and make the drop.
Do another without the lid.

Hmmm sounds like the Letterman show......
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

If it's too hot for gear, it's too hot to ride!

Okay, sorry for the old cliche.

--Wag--

If no one has done this (with pictures) I have wanted to show people who think it is too hot to wear a helmet in the summer a little experiment.

Can someone with a digital temperature gun, set a helmet out in the sun ( sunny hot day) for about an hour and take a digital temp reading on the outside and inside.

I have always wondered what the difference in temp would be.

Has anyone done this? Or willing to do it?

It would save me from buying the temp gun.

If the results are as I expect, the info would be useful in our safety classes.
I have two temp guns that your more than welcome to use if you want to do the test yourself....

Why do people wear baseball hats?  Why do cowboys wear cowboy hats?  To protect their melon from the heat of direct exposure from the sun.
What youre refering to is Radiation. The other two ways that heat/cold transfers is Conduction and Convection.

Conduction is when heat transfers from two touching objects, such as when I sit on my roasted hot seat.

Convection is when the hot air from under the fairing cooks my legs.

Im glad that someone is motivated to teach these young'ins. Im tired of sing the song. Ill ask them about gear, and listen to their weak explanation for without. Sadly, Im getting tired of giving unsolicited advice. I do like when they ask about my Stich because I can talk all day about it.

I used to feel self conscious during my summer rides when I lived in central Texas (a helmetless state). Id be all geared out (helmet stich boots and gloves) at a stop light in the late morning with the pirate brigade. Capt Hook and company are in their vests and bandanas. I ride my own ride and also learned to wake up at the crack of dawn and hit the hills. Its cooler and fewer riders (no pirates either).

Just got back from a 3 hour ride.
Outside temp is 90* and sunny.
Got off the bike and went straight into the garage and got the temp gun out.
Outside of helmet on black was 120*
Hottest part inside was at the very top of the head and it was 100*; everywhere else was around 98.

Hope that helps.

If it's too hot for gear, it's too hot to ride!

Okay, sorry for the old cliche.

--Wag--
+1
If it is just going to be down right hot I will say scrap it and drive the car. My Arai Corsair is the perfect argument to not wearing a helmet because of heat. The airflow is highly adjustable and if it get too bad I just dawn the shades and leave the visor open. I rode from Eastern Washington to the coast one time in 100+ degree heat for 2/3 of the 360 mile trip. I resorted to stopping at the rest areas and filling my helmet (then an Arai Signet) with water and slapping that baby right on my melon! Little messy but it worked wonders! Nothing worse than riding in weather so hot it feels like you have a hair dryer in your face.
peace.gif

Hottest part inside was at the very top of the head and it was 100*; everywhere else was around 98.

Hope that helps.
thanks for going through the trouble.

that's the kinda info I can use at safety classes.
So without a helmet your exposed head would be at 120 degrees.

Hope that helps.
pretty interesting considering the normal body temp is 98.6 degrees F.

Inside of helmet only rose appx 1.4 degrees even with outside being 120 degrees and that's with a black helmet. Mine is white/silver/black and will be interesting to see how it fairs.

It will most likely be Monday before I can do my experiment with thermal imaginging unit and this just makes me more curious as to what it will show.

But with no movement making the air circulate a helmet just sitting out in the sun would only prove it gets HOT
firedevil.gif
. My car gets hot out here just sitting in a parking lot, but will cool down when driving. So, what would it prove
dunno.gif
. Now if you could get the reading while riding, that would show the real effects on your BRAIN
whistling.gif
. Uhhhhhhhh
winkold.gif
, Bazzar Foods show says cooked brains are great tasting
laugh.gif

but I will..............

are referring to the engine temp, or the whole car?

a car is not effected by wind chill.

Your engine will cool more efficiently when you are moving because of the increased air flow through the radiator. It will never be cooler than ambient air temp.

Only living things are effected by wind chill or wind moving over exposed skin.
wind chill is a feeling and not an actual temperature.

so a helmet sitting outside will be heated on the outer shell by the radiant heat from the sun.
The inner lining of the helmet inside out of direct sunlight should reflect the ambient air temperature.
A helmet will not "feel cooler" with air passing over it. Only a living thing with exposed skin can feel the cooling effect of air passing over skin.
This is why plants are not effected by wind chill.

I hope this explains it.
I wasn't talking about wind chill, I was talking about rolling down the windows and cooling the car by air flow with speed. Should have the same effect on the Helmet while riding a bike  
rock.gif

Hope that helps.
pretty interesting considering the normal body temp is 98.6 degrees F.

Inside of helmet only rose appx 1.4 degrees even with outside being 120 degrees and that's with a black helmet. Mine is white/silver/black and will be interesting to see how it fairs.

It will most likely be Monday before I can do my experiment with thermal imaginging unit and this just makes me more curious as to what it will show.
Helmet is a Shoei design with different colors. Silver, black, white. Of course black was the hottest so that's what I posted.

Actually, plants ARE affected by "wind chill." Wind chill is a term used to refer to the cooling effects of the wind which occurs as a result of evaporation. The cooling is real, no just perceived. So, when moisture evaporates off the surface of a plant, it will, in fact, perceive the resulting difference in their own surface temperature.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

I agree, wind chill would effect a plant. You don't have to worry about them freezing until ambient air temp is at 32 or below.

On very hot Arizona days a long sleeve shirt is worn. Several people I work with wear one.

So, a helmet is no big thing. I usually wear a flip face helmet when it's hot. If you stop at a light it's a little fresh air and maybe a drink of water.

r8

I dont agree with this at all. I road a couple hours today and when I stopped my head was sweating like crazy. I think the temp was about 93 deg or so. The rest of me was hot but not sweating. And unless Im going over 65mph my visor is always open. I wear a shoei rf1000 picotte replica.

Back