Helmets too HOT in the summer

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
If no one has done this (with pictures) I have wanted to show people who think it is too hot to wear a helmet in the summer a little experiment.

Can someone with a digital temperature gun, set a helmet out in the sun ( sunny hot day) for about an hour and take a digital temp reading on the outside and inside.

I have always wondered what the difference in temp would be.

Has anyone done this? Or willing to do it?

It would save me from buying the temp gun.

If the results are as I expect, the info would be useful in our safety classes.

I can tell you for fact that the helmet is cooler than your bare skull out there.... In AZ, your brain bakes without some kind of cover... Also another issue is "hydration" the gear seems to keep you better hydrated in the dry heat..

But with no movement making the air circulate a helmet just sitting out in the sun would only prove it gets HOT
firedevil.gif
. My car gets hot out here just sitting in a parking lot, but will cool down when driving. So, what would it prove
dunno.gif
. Now if you could get the reading while riding, that would show the real effects on your BRAIN
whistling.gif
. Uhhhhhhhh
winkold.gif
, Bazzar Foods show says cooked brains are great tasting
laugh.gif

If you are in a hot climate get a skull cap, soak it in water and put it on your head then your helmet

You can also consider and evaporation vest for the body

I've got a temp gun. Also have a probe I can stick in the helmet while I 'shoot' the outside. It may take a day or two; next couple of days are only in the mid-to-upper 80's. Beginning of the week it's supposed to warm up again.

I will rotate to days in the next couple of weeks. I will do the same with a temp probe from work and an infrared gun for the outside. I will update with temps from sunny AZ. We are into our Monsoon season so it's not only blistering hot but humid as heck to go along with it. I do have to say my evaporative vest is working great.

If you are in a hot climate get a skull cap, soak it in water and put it on your head then your helmet

You can also consider and evaporation vest for the body
read my original post. I think you misunderstood the purpose of the test.

to better explain.

i constantly deal riders who say it is too hot to wear a helmet.

Example ...

I would like to be able to say to these people, the outside of a helmet can reach 175 degrees (example)
But due to the thickness of the helmet and insulating factor the inside temperature was the same as ambient air temp. (whatever it was during the test)

People have many misconceptions about heat and wearing gear. I just would like to have some numbers to go with what I already know.

I don't even want to get into wind chill factors and who they effect things.

But with no movement making the air circulate a helmet just sitting out in the sun would only prove it gets HOT
firedevil.gif
. My car gets hot out here just sitting in a parking lot, but will cool down when driving. So, what would it prove
dunno.gif
. Now if you could get the reading while riding, that would show the real effects on your BRAIN
whistling.gif
. Uhhhhhhhh
winkold.gif
laugh.gif

but I will..............

are referring to the engine temp, or the whole car?

a car is not effected by wind chill.

Your engine will cool more efficiently when you are moving because of the increased air flow through the radiator. It will never be cooler than ambient air temp.

Only living things are effected by wind chill or wind moving over exposed skin.
wind chill is a feeling and not an actual temperature.

so a helmet sitting outside will be heated on the outer shell by the radiant heat from the sun.
The inner lining of the helmet inside out of direct sunlight should reflect the ambient air temperature.
A helmet will not "feel cooler" with air passing over it. Only a living thing with exposed skin can feel the cooling effect of air passing over skin.
This is why plants are not effected by wind chill.

I hope this explains it.

You are welcome to use it. Or I can try to take some measurements for you. Give me a yell, I'll try to remember to stick it in my pocket if I leave on the bike.

firedevil.gif
dunno.gif
whistling.gif
. Uhhhhhhhh
winkold.gif
laugh.gif

but I will..............

are referring to the engine temp, or the whole car?

a car is not effected by wind chill.

Your engine will cool more efficiently when you are moving because of the increased air flow through the radiator. It will never be cooler than ambient air temp.

Only living things are effected by wind chill or wind moving over exposed skin.
wind chill is a feeling and not an actual temperature.

so a helmet sitting outside will be heated on the outer shell by the radiant heat from the sun.
The inner lining of the helmet inside out of direct sunlight should reflect the ambient air temperature.
A helmet will not "feel cooler" with air passing over it. Only a living thing with exposed skin can feel the cooling effect of air passing over skin.
This is why plants are not effected by wind chill.

I hope this explains it.
HEY, NOCK IT OFF !!!! You just made me learn something, at 3:30 am.

Regardless of the test results, even with no air moving I would rather have a lid on protecting my chrome dome from the sun. To me, it seems cooler than being exposed and that's with an all black lid. Why do people wear baseball hats? Why do cowboys wear cowboy hats? To protect their melon from the heat of direct exposure from the sun.

I don't have a temp gun and no scientific proof but, my helmet is a BLACK Shoei and hangs on the mirror all day in the sun while I'm at work. When I come out after work, stand there in the sun BSing for a minute while I put my lunch box in the tank bag, start the bike, put my jacket on and then when I put the helmet on it feels cool on my head that's been bare in the sun for a few minutes.
Also notice at a stop light, just flip the visor up an inch or 2 and my head never seems to get as hot as the rest of me does.

I'm not sure how different the results may or may not be but I have access to a fleer thermal imager. It may take me a couple days to get it lined up but I'll try and do the same with it and get some photos while I'm at it. I'm not sure what it will prove or disprove as we already know that the color of the exterior is going to have a significant effect on the temp of the outer shell which in turn will have some effect on the interior. Black helmet will always be hotter than a white one.

another good experiment would be drop a melon from six feet without helmet then drop it from same distance with helmet. I think we all know the outcome of that one. Picture your melon in a similar circumstance and all of a sudden it's not a problem to wash a little sweat off!!

Back