Helmet smells like....$%#!

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Love this stuff.......Helmet Fresh!
If your helmet is like mine and has seen several days of 100+ temps then your probably ready for some relief. Mine started smelling like a highschool locker room on game day barely two months into the summer. Used this stuff as needed and bam! by, by, smell........

Love this stuff.......Helmet Fresh!
If your helmet is like mine and has seen several days of 100+ temps then your probably ready for some relief. Mine started smelling like a highschool locker room on game day barely two months into the summer. Used this stuff as needed and bam! by, by, smell........
Ya Know? Bathing once in awhile works wonders....
laugh.gif

OK Seriously though, Sorry KS Thanks for the tip. I have been using them little helmet liners, they keep any jell or whatnot out of the lid. But Helmet fresh sound good. Cedar chips work well if you like that smell. My old Shoei used to have to be restrained to keep it from wondering off and committing suicide, it was pretty funky smelling....
eek2.gif

Was about ready to ask about this... I've been in school just about the whole time I've had my busa so I haven't skunked the lid yet, but the otherday I remembered how bad my helmets have gotten in the past. Any tips on where to get this Helmet Fresh stuff?

Also, where to get the helmet liners, Rev? I'd thought about getting a couple of do-rags to wear under the helmet. I could wash them regularly and keep them fresh but the sweat would still go through and soak the padding.

Rev, I could have prevented this with something as simple as a shower......
Be right back!

Ok, that didn't take long! Only hit my helmet on the shower nozzle twice..........
How do you dry the helmet out?

Ok just kidding......... when I read your post I could hardly keep from laughing.
Bullet, those helmet liners can be found here Silk liner
almost forgot you can purchase Helmet Fresh almost anywhere motorcycle stuff is sold. Do a search for Helmet Fresh I'm sure it'll come up a...............Ks

laugh.gif
Here's a thought, just grab a clean G-string from your Lady. Pull it over your head nice and snug with the floss running across the bridge of you nose. Should provide a nice secure helmet liner, breath guard, and you can match the color to your bike...
wow.gif

Helmet liners also help keep helmet hair tamed a little bit.

anybody try anything like febreeze at night so that the liner should smell kinda fresh in morning?

anybody try anything like febreeze at night so that the liner should smell kinda fresh in morning?
Awhile back I heard that Febreaze under a different name was killing pets...I dunno man, I would really hesitate putting anything involving harsh chemicals in my lid. Be down the road and start seeing spots ya know?

Something I do is as soon as I get home from a ride I ass end my lid and leave it for awhile, give air a chance to really circulate through it. Also, Ceder chips in an old sock, or scrubbing the inside down with warm water and clean rags, then let it dry. Maybe buy some of those little sneaker balls, your supposed to toss in to keep them fresh... But I would try to avoid any powders, or chemicals that leave a residue...

I shave my head every three weeks to a month in summer (no joke) -- hair just makes everything worse when you roast in your helmet for upwards of 90 minutes a day. Also, I use those SmartWool skull-cap/"doo-rags." The oils from my hair (such as it is) never get into the liner that way.

Another trick I heard about (but haven't yet tried) is stashing your helmet in a freezer for a couple of days. It's supposed to kill off any odor-causing bacteria nicely. Plus, on a hot day there's got to be nothing better than a "chilled" helmet
tounge.gif

I shave my head every three weeks to a month in summer (no joke) -- hair just makes everything worse when you roast in your helmet for upwards of 90 minutes a day. Also, I use those SmartWool skull-cap/"doo-rags." The oils from my hair (such as it is) never get into the liner that way.

Another trick I heard about (but haven't yet tried) is stashing your helmet in a freezer for a couple of days. It's supposed to kill off any odor-causing bacteria nicely. Plus, on a hot day there's got to be nothing better than a "chilled" helmet
tounge.gif
I was just thinking about that, keep the Lid in the deep freeze, pull it out slap the visor on it and away you go...

Should feel good for 20 minutes or so...

Along the same lines put some of those blue ice packs in the inside pockets of your leather and the secret to comfy summer riding? Really? Gold Bond Powder liberally applied to the jewels...I mean liberally...Avoid the extra strength stuff at first! But man a little breeze with the jewels slathered in Gold Bond Powder...it's like built in A/C...

Awhile back I heard that Febreaze under a different name was killing pets...I dunno man, I would really hesitate putting anything involving harsh chemicals in my lid.  Be down the road and start seeing spots ya know?  

Something I do is as soon as I get home from a ride I ass end my lid and leave it for awhile, give air a chance to really circulate through it.  Also, Ceder chips in an old sock, or scrubbing the inside down with warm water and clean rags, then let it dry.  Maybe buy some of those little sneaker balls, your supposed to toss in to keep them fresh...   But I would try to avoid any powders, or chemicals that leave a residue...
I'd thought about Febreeze too but wondered about the effects it might have on me.

The warm water/rag thing was another thing I had thought of. I considered mixing a weak solution of water and liquid laundry detergent in a bowl and soaking the rag in that to scrub the liner with. Then use a rag wet with plain water to "rinse". Finally I'd finish off with a dry towel to soak some of the water out of the liner to speed the drying process.

Oh, and Rev, I hope you wash that old sock before you throw chips in it and toss it in your lid. If not, it might be worse than Febreeze chemicals suckin' down your nostrils!  
face7.gif

Back