Helmet Size

Warrior58d

Registered
I have only bought one helmet since owning my bike and would like to get some wisdom from the board. I am looking to purchase the Shoei X-II and want of course to get a good fit. I live in pretty much the middle of nowhere and the bike shops around here sell a lot of crap which I don't want. I own an HJC-AC11 Zeek right now in a medium and it was tight when I bought it but has broken in real nice. Now I wonder if the Shoei will do the same thing (break in the same) since when I measure my head I am right in between a med and a large. The sizes match up between a HJC and a Shoei from what I read in the Dennis Kirk cat. But I just don't know. So for all the guys inbetween what would you go with...The Med or the Large? Thanks for your input

Kels

<!--EDIT|Warrior58d
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075104905 -->

Personally I'd go with the larger one. A slightly smaller helmet pushes in on my cheeks and when it try to close my mouth, I have to be careful not to bite myself.

Usually I'm slack jawed in wonderment when on the Busa.
laugh.gif

i would say go smaller. it will loosen up a little bit. i would also recomend an arai helmet, they have a couple differnet shapes, so the quantum f in a large isnt the same as say a rx7 in a large. and t's an awesome helmet

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND WENT WITH THE LARGE AND IT LOOSEND UP AND ENDED UP BEING TO BIG FOR MY HEAD.. I HAD TO SELL THE HELMET TO A BUDDY .. RULE OF THUMB IS ALWAYS GO SMALLER ... DONT WANT HELMET MOVN AROUND ... MY .02 CENTS

Go with the smaller size and it should break in nicely over time. Also, a tighter helmet is a safer one if you need it.
smile.gif

Ok I own two shoei X-spII. LOVE THE HELMET so much I bought my wife one. Hey I got mine brand spanking new off ebay for about $250 and that included the helmet bag, exra shield, chin shield, etc. etc.

But the great thing about the helmet is it has replacable cheek pads. If the head size is correct and its too tight on your cheeks you can replace the cheek pads for smaller pads. So that being the case buy the size that fits your head --then get the smaller pads if the original pads don't break in to a point where you are comfortable wearing the helmet.

Don't buy them mail order without trying them on. Shoei tends to fit a different shaped head than HJC, Arai, etc. Try different brand and get one that fits. And you'll want one snug so that when it breaks in it won't rattle around on your head. And cheek pads - if they feel tight they usually break in in about a week.

TRY THEM ON AT A STORE EVEN IF YOU BUY ON THE NET. Each helmet company is different. You can add a head bandana if you still find things to large.

Like the others have mentioned, you need to take head shape into consideration when fitting a helmet as well. If you have more of a round ball of a head, Shoei might be a good choice. If you hae more of a "Long oval" head, Arai's Quantum line is going to be your best bet. Check online with the Shoei and Arai website and do some reading. I am willing to bet that you may not be so much in between sizes as just a different shape. Going into the bike shop and trying on a bunch of different helmets is a real good idea, just be certain to buy a couple of DVD's, or some Plexus or something to make it worth the parts guys time, don't abuse them, you might need them later.

Oh I wear a medium Arai Quantum, but the medium Shoei's do not fit at all, had to wear a large... I am a big fan of Both Arai and Shoei with Arai getting the nod because their helmets fit so perfect....

Newenough.com would be a great place to buy online, you can give them a call as well, they are really damn helpful and they have great customer service.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I did go to a shop and they did have the helmet I wanted but not the color so I tried them on. I am going to go with the med and hope that it loosens up some or get the smaller cheek pads.

Back