Hello from North Yorkshire

Crow

Registered
Hello!

(Or as they say around these parts, "Hey up!" which is from old Danish apparently)

Been using this site and picked up some good tips from you guys, so thought I'd do the decent thing and try to give a little back. Hope this post is in the correct place.

Been a biker for over 30 years now, started riding when I was about 8 on the fields and tank roads, did my bike test when I was 16 and have ridden many bikes since then ranging from utter death traps to some quite decent ones. Always loved the GS range, grew up with them in the 80s: had a 500, 650, 750 (and I think an 850 if memory serves me correctly). Went through a Triumph phase, then ended up with the GSF1200 Bandit. Loved that bike! Toasted it on a hairpin doing about 30MPH, total write-off. Got paid out, sat looking for "something a bit different".

Drank too much whisky one night, had a massive barney with the missus, went to bed, woke up the following day vaguely recalling having been on eBay. With trepidation (a banging head and a missus with a face like a slapped backside), I logged on and realised that I'd gone and bought myself a 2001 Hayabusa.

"Cool!"

That totally cheered my day up.

Went and picked it up feeling nervous, wondering whether I might have bitten off more than I can chew and what I will say about the Hayabusa is that it was, from the start, a very easy bike to ride. Does what it is told, corners better than any review I had read, goes like stink: in black and chrome, it also looks pretty mean. Less of a bike, more of a weapon!

I must have gone through 30 bikes (didn't bother with my car test until I was 37) and I have to say that this bike is all the things I have ever sought in a bike. You guys will know exactly what I mean when I mention "grin factor"; I often get off it and just cry, "I LOVE YOU!"

Got a question though...

It's had a set of Renthal bars on it since I bought it. They keep the back pretty straight and are comfy on long distance tours (1,500 miles in a week is not unusual for me), they do stand out and I quite like the look, and yes you can get it right down on the bends, but I'm tempted to put on a set of original bars just to test it out.

Any opinions on this?

One more actually: luggage (ARGH! I KNOW!!). I'm into mountaineering and carry a fair bit of kit when I am hitting the hills. Obviously the boots, leathers and lid has to get left with the bike and I usually bag and chain them, but I could really use a decent luggage set for when I'm touring 2-up.

Any recommendations?

Anyone got much experience with tank bags and / or luggage / back rack? Just wondering how much they affect the handling?

Anyway, cheers and happy riding!

Crow, welcome to the org and congrats on your k1. I would of loved to see the brides face when you told her about your purchase. Beetle bags are pricey but contour with the bikes features and provide a bit of storage. Color match too boot. As far as reverting back to stock and dumping the renthals, I would say try it if you can nab a cheap set on fleabay. Keep in mind they require a bit of reach and I'm 6'2". I use a spacer from soupys to ease the back a bit without jeapordizing the "look". Good luck and post up a picture of the bike when you get a chance.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the oRg! :welcome: For luggage, look into Ventura. There are cobrin set ups for the GenII as well if remember correctly.

OK, I take the hint! Pics to follow.

It's a bit ratty looking, be warned. I ride all year in the north of England and have put about 40,000 miles on it. I don't clean it very often either.

Will check out the Venturas as you say twotonevert.

Hi,,,glad you could join us...
I found that Tourmaster makes good, and dare I say, cheap, soft luggage. I have saddle-bags (paniers, to you) a tail-trunk that sets on the rear seat, and expandable tank bag.

Thanks for the welcomes lads!

Here ya go, this is the old girl as she stands (yeah, yeah, I cleaned her). Remember she's 13 years old now.

naaqTnq.jpg

Edit: I'll add some more in a bit...

Think it's time for a respray though - black with a chrome falcon design swooping down: beak at the light, claws on the front mudguard or something.

Back