heads up display

purplefalcon

Registered
I forgot to let all you folks know that we rcv'd one of the Sportvue MC1 helmet displays right before christmas.
I have the hard wired unit mounted under the passenger seat and will be doing the wireless helmet mount on my wife's helmet in the next several days. it seems everything that it is advertised to be, and pretty darned easy to mount with good instructions and installation kit.
right now i can turn the ignition on and pick up the read out on the helmet unit across the garage so i feel pretty good about it performing well this summer.
since the initial unit arrived they have sent us a brushed aluminium carrying case for the helmet unit and are now working on a radar detector upgrade.......free to the 1st 500 owners.
just wanted to let folks know that it was not hype, there really is a helmet mounted display out there and it does not appear to be junk.
no, I don't work for them, I'm just kind of excited about the darned thing.

Be careful when you first try riding with that thing on. I haven't seen what the display looks like, but if you find yourself focusing on it instead of the road it could be quite dangerous. You may want to take it and try it in a closed parking lot before using it on the open road. Only say that from experience using HUDs.

so does it look like the video on their web site.

I tape over the speedo when I'm on the track and I shift by sound rather than looking at the tach.

I do have a heads up display for my radar detector. It's called H.A.R.D. (Helmet Assisted Radar Display). I really like that thing and it has saved my bacon a number of times. Just last weekend I was out playing on the back roads, doing a few wheelies and attacking a few corners when my heads up display says hello. I slowed up to 25 mph and about a mile down the road met a state trooper with his moving radar, I was able to wave and keep an eye on him until he was out of sight!

i agree.....two reasons why the unit is for my passenger: 1st she is always asking how fast we going here and there and then, now she will know. 2nd, i don't need one as i also shift by sound and pull and relative front tire location compared to the sun and moon. not sure why there is a speedo at all.

the unit displays just like the video as far as i can tell: the gear and speed numbers are large and clear, and the bar graph is a kick to watch slide across the top of the display.

another thing that is kind of neat is that i can either buy another helmet unit for my use without having to buy a whole new set up or i buy another visor clip and use my wive's helmet unit on my helmet.....especially if what she sees scares her. for the past 3800 miles i have been telling her that i don't know how fast we were going as the speedo is way off anyway.

between this unit and the intercom i bought, i am thinking that my riding experience is about to change, or, my poor wife is about to be presented with her own bike.... a schwinn.

pics ? 1st tell me what a TRE is.

WOW, that just seems tooo high tech for me. Sounds neat. Ill stick to sticky post it's and hand/head nod signals...

Whats a clutch thingy doo?

Heads UP, hell, every time I stick my head up, it damn near blows off!
biggrin.gif

TRE Timing Retard Eliminator it is nothing more than a 1.6 ohm ( don't crucify me if I am off on the specs
sad.gif
) resistor that fools the ECU into thinking the bike is always in 5th gear. The ECU then applies the 5th gear map full time. This allows you to have full power in 1st and 2nd gear as well as eliminate the top end governor placed on the scoot. now...where are the pics!?!
tounge.gif

:-)

<!--EDIT|him
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105160770 -->

pics ? 1st tell me what a TRE is.
No he's not.

I missed it too. I had to reread all the damned posts to find this little sentence.

What does asking for pics of the HUD on your bike have to do with a TRE? And when did anyone mention a TRE before you asking to know what it was about?

and Moosesbusa pretty much summed what TRE is. You don't need it unless you wanna go 180 mph +. If you wanna smooth out your A/F mixture get a powercommander... but if you talk to johnnycheese he can tell you all about it. He loves answering what a TRE is!
smile.gif

Back