head studs

wahly68

Registered
can I replace the stock head bolts with studs one at a time? remove one bolt and replace with stud and repeat, with out removing the head and replacing the head gasket Thanks Rick..

front left will not come out of the head without lifting the head, maybe the right too

Oh and the studs would need slotting to install with a screwdriver with the head in place .

Oh and the studs would need slotting to install with a screwdriver with the head in place .

Or... APE makes a "trick stud tool" for 16bucks that works with a socket or an allen wrench. Not sure how the screwdriver method torques those buggers to spec? ???
Linky
Or does it matter...

I have one of the APE tools but find its not always conveniant on the busa in frame , and diameter is too big on my 750 so just slot everything for screwdriver fit, , not a rough 1/2 inch deep hack, just a carefull cut 3 threads deep and file finish the threads

I will incorporate these days APE studs.
There was some discussion on the forum that is 60 lbs too much (because of the danger of deformation of the block).
What are your experiences of?

Hmmm.. ???
12 to 15 ft. lb. pounds maximum per APE install instructions.

Tech Spec Linky
That is generic instructions
Being i torque the head down to 60 lbs id say you might need to recheck this
but yes a snug is all i have ever done (except on 1/2" studs)
read the instructions that come with the hayabusa studs and it should say different
I will see if i still have a set of them and post it if i can find it

That is generic instructions
Being i torque the head down to 60 lbs id say you might need to recheck this
but yes a snug is all i have ever done (except on 1/2" studs)
read the instructions that come with the hayabusa studs and it should say different
I will see if i still have a set of them and post it if i can find it

Hayabusa CS1300STN CYLINDER STUD INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Long threaded end must be installed in the case.

2. Note stock stud location before removing. There may be several different stud lengths.

3. After removal of stock studs (removal tool #SP-100 available from APE) thoroughly clean holes with solvent and blow out.

4. Use APE stud installation tool #08-151 or two 10x1.25mm nuts on the short end thread. Dip long thread in oil and install in the case. Torque to 12-15 ft. lbs. maximum.

5. Using APE CHN10125.10 head nuts, torque to 60 lbs..

HOME

from their site i guess it says to but ive never really torqued them as they snug down nicely but just done push them too far into case or will run into some issues
and also use the stock aluminum washers when putting the nuts in

from their site i guess it says to but ive never really torqued them as they snug down nicely but just done push them too far into case or will run into some issues
and also use the stock aluminum washers when putting the nuts in

Good information thanks!!

I will incorporate these days APE studs.
There was some discussion on the forum that is 60 lbs too much (because of the danger of deformation of the block).
What are your experiences of?

I know Its an old thread
Ive a freshly skimmed head and barrel mating surfaces

Ive APE 10mm studs and nuts

Im wondering if 50lbs is sufficient for the Torque settings

whats the current (danger of deformation of the block) idea now?

Thanks

Back