APE studs ?

Gixer

Registered
Hi,

I bought the APE cylinder studs and nuts ( 10 mm ), what should be a tightening torque?
Twice I dismantled the engine head, you can reuse the old head gasket or a new need?

Thank you very much?

new gasket for sure. the torque sould be 60lbs. be sure to oil the studs when installing to prevent seizure with the aluminum block and i also cut a slot on the top of each stud to enable a screwdriver to install and remove them. ape has installation instruction on their web site.

Slot lets you install the studs after the head, easier to get the tensioner guide in place , and gives you the option of removing the studs for a in frame gasket change .

For what its worth... APE has a stud tool for 16bucks that'll ease installation. Believe I'll be picking one of those up with Stud/bolt purchase.

studtool.jpg

studinstallercol.jpg

This is interseting info...the double nut method works wonders with studs...putting locktite on them might be unnecessary...but wait to see what the experienced guys say.

Thanks a lot guys !

Is it necessary to use Loctite for driving screws into the block?

Actually I've researched that ANTI-SEIZE is used on the "long" threads going into the block. Does not specify to use any loctite on the nuts when torquing down the head.
However, it does specify to use loctite on the main bearing nuts that hold down the BLOCK to engine case.
So given that, I would probably say no to using loctite on the nuts holding down the head to block. This is a very good point and I hopes that an expert clarifies this direction if incorrect as I'll be tackling this project in the near future.
Here are install instructions for Head studs and nuts:

cylinderInstr.jpg

Two more questions :-)

Do you use washers?

Is it a big gap on the first piston ring, 0.4 mm?

Thanks

Back