APE  Cylinder Studs

madlyhs

Registered
I just ordered APE Studs as recommended by many to prevent me from Blowing the head gasket . I am going to remove the old ones one by one and install the APE one instead . What is the sequence for removing/installing the APE Studs? Do I need to change the Head Gasket or can I still use the same one ?

TIA

<!--EDIT|madlyhs
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091779678 -->

is your engine stock? if it is you don't need to replace the cylinder head bolts.
to replace them, you have to remove your engine out so you can do it. even if you done that, you can never remove your cylinder head out of the bike without pulling the engine out.
if you are not pushing over 300hp, you don't need those studs.

I'm confused  !! I came across many posts recommending to do that if you have Turbo installed  so what's the deal here
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|madlyhs
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091800519 -->

I told ya on one board and I'll tell ya here, cancel that order and order the 1/2" head bolt kit from Dennis. APE is not a wise choice for your application.

Stock cylinder bolts are 183,000 p.s.i. tensile strength, APE studs are 118,000 p.s.i.. If you keep the stock bolts, torque them to 45 ft/lbs.

You do not need the studs with the amount of boost you are running, but if you decide to install them anyway, the APE bolts are the #1 choice. I have them in all the shootout bikes and have no headgasket problems at all. Over 580 hp on them with no problems. If you are blowing head gaskets with ape studs, you have a tune up problem. Barry

I did not blow up any head gasket yet Thank God
smile.gif
I wanted to be safe and that's why I got the APE . Barry After reading your reply I decided not to install them .

Thanks

Back