Head Gasket???

TruWrecks

Banned
My toy broke!!!  
sad.gif

I have an 04 LE.  Stock setup.  It's getting about 8mpg and blowing white smoke out of exhaust pipe.  My bike started getting warmer than it usually runs. When I shut it down, water was pouring out onto the ground from the front lower fairing.

Sounds to me like a head gasket (from my car building days).  Could it be anything else?  
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102664489 -->

what was causing your bike to run hot!! is you fan working? how many times did it overheat? let the bike cool down for few hours, add some coolant & then start the engine. you should check for leaks & your fan.

white smoke out the pipes is antifreeze getting burnt. Does it have a very bitter smell? What about warrenty? Take it back to the dealer and get it fixed.

I would be very surprised on a stock bike that the headgasket went. Somthing made this happen like heat and the fan not runing. However the fact that you are getting smoke is a little strange and points to other things. I would take it to a good mech. Only use the dealer if it is under warranty. i am sre some of our god mechs. on the board will have some additonal details for you.

What a POS!!!!! see you should have bought an 04 instead of waiting for the POS 05!!!

Just kidding first stop would be the dealer PERIOD

Got it home late last night.  Had to have it towed (I had tow company send a flatbed truck. That way they didn't scratch up Diablobusa).  I put Devil horns on her for Halloween, and the name emerged.  I didn't want to trash the engine by running it for 35 miles after I noticed it.

The leaking (actually pouring out like a mini Multnomah Falls (The Washington and Oregon riders should know that place)) water did smell like antifreeze.  I shut it down and let it cool off for about 2 hours (the time it took to get it towed home in the rain).  The temp never got to the red zone and the fan was running.

The busa going to the dealer this morning to get checked out.

I was really bummed out last night about it.  I only have 1050 miles on her, and I followed the break-in procedures and limits, and I behaved myself (Yes, it was tough).  I haven't even taken it out to REALLY stretch her legs yet.  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102694461 -->

TAKE IT TO THE DEALER NOW!!!!

DO NOT STOP. GOTO THESERVICE DESK AND BE INSISTENT AND TELL don't ask TELL THEM "FIX it PLEASE" then if they do not comply CALL SUZUKI AMERICA They will TELL them to fixit.. This should not be happening. If you are sure that you did not OverHeat then it will not show on the ECU.

DO NOT BEND BACKWARDS TELL THEM "Fix IT!"

RsN

It's at the dealers' now. They said "We have never seem a busa with a bad head gasket, but the symptoms look like that's the problem." The service department said it was definitely a warranty candidate. They even sent a truck to my house to pick up the bike. Go Everett Powersports!

The service guy will be calling me later today to tell if it needs to go to Suzuki ICU! "The pulse is weak, but the outlook is promising."
biggrin.gif

Everybody keep your finger crossed for Diablobusa, unless your riding.
wink.gif

I feel good vibes from the board already!

Glad to hear its going good keep us posted on what Everett powersports does for you I'd like to know . Hope to see you riding in the rain soon !

The the best picture, but it does shown why she's named Diablobusa.  
devil.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102722251 -->

Image011.jpg

Keep us posted. Are you going to the bike show in Spokane today, tomorrow or Sun? If so, let me know, and I'll buy you a beer

I just talked to the service manager. They said that a leaky hose caused the cooling issue. The white smoke in the exhuast had to have been moisture that the ram-air intakes must have sucked in during the rain. They retightened the coolant fittings and ran it until it was warm, then the white smoke stopped. I'm wondering if the lack of coolant may have caused the engine not to heat up properly.
rock.gif

All appears to be good now. I'll drill them for more info when I pick up the busa tonight.
biggrin.gif

P.S. The dealer really liked the UFO Tailight on the busa.

I just got home with Diablobusa. The service manager couldn't tell me why it's used a 1/2 tank of gas in just 27 miles! That's about 10.8 mpg. That's bad for a heavily modified busa, so it's absolutely terrible for a stock busa! I checked the trip computer and it claims 24.7 mpg. If that's accurate, it's a 12 mpg reduction in one day. I was getting 36 mpg before yesterday. Bad gas? It still doesn't make much sense.

They said to run it when I get the chance, and keep a good eye on the mileage. They said the ECU didn't record anything strange. They did tell me that my mileage should be between 35 and 40 during the first 3500-4000 miles, but increase to 40 or 50 after 4000.

rock.gif

your ECU doesn't record anything.
don't worry about MPG I can get 35 mpg on the boost bike or I can get 5 mpg just depends on how hard I twist the throttle

I wouldn't worry about the drop in mpg if I was in 1st or 2nd gear for that 27 miles, but i was riding it calmly. I have maintained 32-36 mpg with fair to mildly agressive riding. Should I ride it harder?
wink.gif

I guess the next tank or 2 will tell.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I hope to see a few of you on the road.

Thanks for the offer epicrisis, but I won't be able to get to Spokane this weekend. I'll be heading out that way March. I'll drop you a line when I can out that way.

Funny, I was waiting to see how this turns out.

It was exactly the same thing. Apparently the guy at Suzuki who is in charge of the hose clamps must be not real strong in the forearm dept.

I lost coolant and had water in my oil. but no smoke so I thought the same thing "headgasket". My bike was out of warranty so I was screwed. But I also had a bad oil leak.

It was from the week earlier we were filming and I did a "too long and scary, never again" ten o' clock wheelie (stupid on a busa). and the oil seal for the counter balancer blew. Since it was so close to the head gasket area and I had an empty radiator, I though it was the gasket blown. I towed it. and didn't ride for two months. then the day came to tear it down. I took of all of the body and did some snooping. I first gunked it and made it look like new. Then after I started to pull the cooling system I saw the residue from the leak at the clamp (bubbly lime/white foam) and then I saw where the oil was coming from. it took about three hours to fix the leak and get better clamp bolted on. Reset the computer and took her out. Good as new. Two months of grief for nothing.

Moral of the Story: Until you get into it, you don't know what you are in.....

RsN

oh yah the mileage. My mileage being "Goldwinglike" I get about an average of 39mpg.

On open Highway the most I ever got, and thios was following my family during a busy holiday weekend from Bakersfield to back home here, about 220 miles. I got 59 miles to the gallon. 6th mos of the way just putt-putt, 55-65 all the way.

say 39.4 right now.

RsN

Back