HD service

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
A former colleague of mine received his HD after ordering it almost a year ago...

The dealer asked him if he wanted it delivered or stored for free until spring. He opted for a delivery so he could tinker with it over the winter. The showed up with an enclosed trailer, they rolled out a long carpet of some sort so the tires wouldn't get dirty or any snow or ice on them and put the bike in his garage, the salesman who sold him the bike was there and went over all the features while the delivery guys took off all the protective plastic and inspected the bike all over to make sure it is perfect.

All the pre-delivery service was discussed and he was shown all the fluid levels before the bike was started.

He said he was very impressed by how the bike was delivered and the level of detail that went into it.

His brother had a Yamaha delivered before Christmas in an open trailer and they basically dumped it off in his driveway while he signed for it and they drove away in a hurry as they had two other bikes to deliver leaving him to get it in his garage and look it over for damage-if he found any he was to call the dealership...

Many of us (including me) hack on HD but they know something about how to treat customers.

That is impressive. I wonder it that's a dealership level service or an HD service? Either way, when you are spending what used to be mortgage on a motorcycle, that's the way it should be.
PS I heard somewhere that new HD's sometimes don't even leak oil on the garage floor now! :laugh:
I've heard you can actually order a mod so they leak a little oil for the whole experience...

Another friend of mine who bought a Dyna-glide a couple years ago was telling me that-but he may have been pulling my chain.

A former colleague of mine received his HD after ordering it almost a year ago...

The dealer asked him if he wanted it delivered or stored for free until spring. He opted for a delivery so he could tinker with it over the winter. The showed up with an enclosed trailer, they rolled out a long carpet of some sort so the tires wouldn't get dirty or any snow or ice on them and put the bike in his garage, the salesman who sold him the bike was there and went over all the features while the delivery guys took off all the protective plastic and inspected the bike all over to make sure it is perfect.

All the pre-delivery service was discussed and he was shown all the fluid levels before the bike was started.

He said he was very impressed by how the bike was delivered and the level of detail that went into it.

His brother had a Yamaha delivered before Christmas in an open trailer and they basically dumped it off in his driveway while he signed for it and they drove away in a hurry as they had two other bikes to deliver leaving him to get it in his garage and look it over for damage-if he found any he was to call the dealership...

Many of us (including me) hack on HD but they know something about how to treat customers.

That’s not HD, it’s the dealer plus, the Yamaha didn’t cost 30K. The dealer where I bought my 9K Kawasaki which is 40 miles away had their service guy, the one who set the bike up out of the crate, drive my car home behind me on the bike and I drove him back. That’s after I test rode it for 80 miles along with three other bikes.

That’s not HD, it’s the dealer plus, the Yamaha didn’t cost 30K. The dealer where I bought my 9K Kawasaki which is 40 miles away had their service guy, the one who set the bike up out of the crate, drive my car home behind me on the bike and I drove him back. That’s after I test rode it for 80 miles along with three other bikes.
I'd say HD had a little something to do with it....the dealer must be awesome though...

I take my Busa to the Harley dealer here in NC once a year for the DMV inspection and while there tour the dealership. The mechanics are well trained and all certified by Harley Davidson, totally unlike the Suzuki dealerships over here.

That said, I sold my Harley back in 2012 and a 5,000 mile service doing everything myself as recommended by the service manual took me no more than 40 minutes. The Busa is a different story.

I’ve a 2022 Road Glide Special and while I bought at a chain of what used to be owned by Bruce Rossmeyer and the biggest dealer I know of in Florida… there was no red carpet treatment. They were friendly, didn’t understand FL law regarding insurance, I could tell they only wanted the sale but I pretty much bought it over the phone already. Had been looking for months for this paint set (that’s what Harley guys call color) and they were the only dealer in the south that had it or at least listed it in their secret transferable inventory.
Now another Harley dealer I looked at was super helpful, called a week later to check in with my search, super friendly (they hadn’t my money yet.. right) but on the day I bought my bike and riding it home the GM called to check in again. I told him I was riding my new bike home as we spoke. He invited me on one of their personal rides….
I buy parts from him now. Shirts, oils, filters.. customer service goes a long way even if you don’t get my 30k you can get my repeat business.
And… I’ve serviced my Suzuki bikes and bought parts from the same Suzuki dealer for over 15yrs and while I bought a 1000cc bike from them just 11months before buying my Gen3, they still would not let me test ride it. Told me nothing of the bike, (I actually knew more about it than the salesman) no offer to set up suspension, ever.. just pay up and some small talk.
I guess my point is. Business is just business until you find that one person or team that understands a smile, an honest and fair disposition and just being genuine. The treatment your friend got was awesome and I bet he will return to them just as I’ll return to my friendly dealer.
I’m sure we all have our stories thanks for sticking around for mine.
The end. Lol

Just sold my Harley and bought my busa. Had the Harley for 8 years across 3 states. Service levels definitely vary but are typically pretty good. On the downside, long waits for service, frequently parts have to be ordered, and, of course, high prices.

I guess most of these apply to any dealer, bike or car. You all know that the automotive industry is one of the most dishonest industries, right?

Just sold my Harley and bought my busa. Had the Harley for 8 years across 3 states. Service levels definitely vary but are typically pretty good. On the downside, long waits for service, frequently parts have to be ordered, and, of course, high prices.

I guess most of these apply to any dealer, bike or car. You all know that the automotive industry is one of the most dishonest industries, right?
Hi. I have had 4 HD's. I have never had a dealer work on the bikes. I payed $2,500.00 for my 1999 softail 8 years ago. Never an oil leak on any one of them. The only thing that has gone wrong with mine is I had to have the starter rebuilt cost $100.00. It was a very tight fit coming out and one h--i fight to get it back in. It would have been easy if I pulled the oil tank.

Hi. I have had 4 HD's. I have never had a dealer work on the bikes. I payed $2,500.00 for my 1999 softail 8 years ago. Never an oil leak on any one of them. The only thing that has gone wrong with mine is I had to have the starter rebuilt cost $100.00. It was a very tight fit coming out and one h--i fight to get it back in. It would have been easy if I pulled the oil tank.
Yes, didn't take me long to learn that I needed to learn how to work on my own bike.

Back