Hazy Shade of Winter

arcticbusa

Registered
I live up in Yellowknife, NWT (up by Alaska), and it's -30 to -40 C right now.  (maybe -30 to -50F).  I put my 'busa in the shed in late October, and it's going to be a long winter.  

I had a great summer with it, driving with my girlfriend through the rocky mountains, doing just about everything with it.  (2006 red/black, Carbon Exhaust, Power Commander IIIUSB, TRE).

Now, it won't be until at least April until I can get it out of the shed and past all the snow.  

Does anyone have any suggested reading I can do to it to pass the time?  I could bring a stool out there, turn on the single bare 60W bulb, and sit in my parka and read it stories or something.

My one consolation, in comparison to "all of you"....  There are hundreds of kilometers of roads up here that are in "not bad" shape.  There's often 30-50km stretches where I don't see a soul.  Also, there is never radar enforcement.  So while I put up with a long winter in the summer she gets her legs streched nice and long...

How about the wildlife ? I would have to move dude. I've had flu, walking pneumonia, or something. Saw a doctor yesterday, started drugs, told to stay in bed. Guess what I did today.
super.gif

Yellowknife, wow.  Brother of mine went there once for the Arctic Winter Games... Middle of nowhere.  And colder than here.  
But sounds like the same riding season.  So, Twist of the Wrist one and two are awesome.  If you haven't already read them.  This site, of course is incredible winter entertainment.   And of course, a few motorcycle mag subscriptions help a bunch.  
Non-motorcycle related, I like Patrick F. McManus.  Best known probably for "A Fine and Pleasant Misery", if you don't laugh at his writing, you might not have a soul.  
Good luck keeping sane this winter, I know I'm already losing it.  
all_coholic.gif

Hey artic - If you are looking for books - I've written two. They are on-line, and you can read them here: about my 10,000 journey to Alaska is the 1st and wrote a 2nd simply called about a ride across the south I did in the middle of winter.

I've also a few long-winded threads on this forum you may have seen. All good reading with 100+ pics. , This one is , also , .

We took the kids to the Train Museum the other day and the wife bought a book entitled 'Orphan Trains' about the shipment of ~250,000 orphans from NYC between 1859-1920. Just started it. Interesting slice of history.

Also working on writing an article about Bodie SHP Ghost Town right now. Just finished who lived there in the area 1905-1920 time peroid. Great first hand account of living in Bodie.

On the 2nd book about Bodie which is really detailed stuff, but good about the 1859-1900 peroid in Bodie.

Hey, you asked.
lurk.gif
smile.gif

Back