Hayabusa Starting issues

AgentSmithers

Registered
Greetings everyone,
I am an owner of a 2002 GSX 1300R. The bike has been amazing up until sometime these last 3 threes years I've noticed after the Bike gets warm it gets difficult to start and I have to wait for it to cool down. I was thinking too much heat was getting to one of the electrical wires causing the current to face more resistant's getting to the starter but I am not an expert in bikes so I road it to the local dealer. The dealer purchased a replacement radiator fan and a switch for the unit and it took approx. 8-9 months for the part to come in.

The part came in and now the dealer has reported that the bike no longer starts and found that there was a build up of material being done around the fuel pump. He sent me a text saying it appears to be from "gas that's gotten old", however before I bought the bike to him I did drive it quite a bit and I'm sure I can go back and the route I took as I always tip off the gas before parking (I've been burned by the fuel pump many years ago).

So I asked him if since he's had possession of the bike that he has been routinely starting it and he said "Yes, but here are here now and its not starting" and proceeded to quote me $900 for the pump. I don't mind paying it if its part of the issue of not starting but from my understanding stuff like this only happens if they let the bike sit? For instance I understand a Residue can build on the outside of the pump, however aren't there injectors where the fuel goes inside that can only get clogged after long periods of none use. I assume the residue would flow threw not having a chance to gather and burn off into the engine.

Anyone have any professional incite, anything would be very helpful. I don't want to mistakenly pay for a replacement pump if its not apart of the original issue or from something else?

How do professional shops normally handle bikes with parts ordered long term?

Is the expectation that the custom has to request to put a fuel stabilizer or to check-in that the bike is being started on a monthly basis?

GoogleDrive video of text video sent from dealer: FuelPump.mov

Postscript: Is it appropriate in this circumstance to request for a maintenance log on the bikes? Any input on how to correctly handle this is appreciated.
Thank you!!

Last edited:
Sup man...I'm fairly new myself here but have been through something like this..
I know the experts will be here shortly but,
That pump definitely looks like it's been sitting in like a dusty a$$ barn or paint shop of some sort.

That pump looks like it hasn't been ran in a long time. Could probably be cleaned and filters taken out, inspected/cleaned etc. It's not that hard if you can work tools a little bit (plenty of write ups on here) although that should be their fault. They let it sit, clearly.
Bad gas could be a combination and where you drive, etc. But the fact that it doesn't start now

I'm not sure about the other dealership questions and the heating issues.
I wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated!

Hey thanks, That's really helpful. YES!! I figured that was the case.. The guy is a real nice guy but I think he made an unfortunate slip by letting the bike sit and is now trying to pass the buck my way. I just am triple checking I don't want to place the blame on the guy if its just something that happens over time but this seems to be more of a case where he wasn't starting it and may be stretching the truth sadly, that or he legitimately doesn't know that letting the bike sit would lead to something like this but that would be a whole other issue..

Welcome and sad to hear of your woes...

Your bike sat at the dealership for 8-9 months for a ran fan and switch? There is no way on green earth I'd have let that bike sit there that long for those...should have came here before taking it there and we could have talked you through how to do this yourself.

However, 8-9 months with no fuel stabilizer and yep, the pump will get gummed up along with the injectors most likely and if the tank wasn't full you might be looking at rust formed in the top underside of the tank due to condensation........and if the battery was left in it without a trickle charger being on it, that battery is toast now...

We in the northern regions commonly store our bikes for months on end and storage prep is necessary...the same storage prep your bike never got.

Thank you Bumblebee, Absent a customers request do you feel the burden is on them to make these request (ask for stabilizer, checkin to ensure trickle charging etc etc) or this would fall on the motorcycle shop?

Are you able to confirm if this can reasonably occur absent sitting? Thank you all for your assistance!

A Primer on sitting gas:

If you're mechanically prepared, the pump assembly can be pulled, cleaned and reinstalled for less than $900. If you're set on installing a new pump, research this site first: Gen 1 Fuel Pump.

Depending on where in So Cal, these guys might be able to help (pump rebuild) for less than $900.

And finally, no, IMO, the burden is on the owner to look after the bike, no matter where it sits, no matter how long.

Good luck with the fix!

I appreciate your input, Have you ever worked for a repair shop?
Reason why I ask is because that seems like that would be their stance, but from a consumers perspective, when you drop your car to an expert, it seems bazar that the expert would say, it process will take 6 months, then to omit that the vehicle will be dead long before then, not say anything then pass that to the customer. With your premises, is that correct your saying each customer is required to ensure that all steps are taken and there is no legal duty on the expert to protect or say anything to them?
I don't want to misrepresent your position but it sounds like that is what your saying, that the burden falls on the owner to legally ensure the shop takes the correct steps to preserve a bike while in their possession. I think that sounds reasonable if there is an unpaid lean but I find it unreasonable that the service charge and repair does not include damage caused to the bike during the duration of the repair itself.

I'm not saying people do this, but in theory, each repair that comes in over 3 months would end up in the bike requiring additional repairs would it not, Replacement battery, any part of the fuel system.

Thank you for any additional input Haya.

Yes, it should solely be on the shop for causing more damage.
If your bike was knocked over or robbed or anything like that, they'd be responsible. Well this is damage.
Any true bike mechanic would know how to store a bike..

Like bumblebee was saying, you'll need to have injections checked now, gas tank for rust/bad fuel and at least the battery replaced (if they didn't trickle charge).
Almost 9 months is ridiculous for those parts too btw. Dealerships (stealerships) will often order the most expensive parts from the furthest distance with no regard to the time of travel for the packages. And also never wants to repair parts, they look to just replace.
At this point, I'd be having them replace at least the pump and battery, on their dime.

Thank you Bumblebee, Absent a customers request do you feel the burden is on them to make these request (ask for stabilizer, checkin to ensure trickle charging etc etc) or this would fall on the motorcycle shop?

Are you able to confirm if this can reasonably occur absent sitting? Thank you all for your assistance!
We have a few members here who work in dealerships...the first name that comes to mind is @Kiwi Rider but there are more..

However, any dealership that would let your bike sit for that long with no sort of preservation is a questionable one at best...

You could fight them on this-not sure where you will get with it but I certainly wouldn't take your bike there if you won...I can only imagine the lack of care then....

I appreciate your input, Have you ever worked for a repair shop?
Reason why I ask is because that seems like that would be their stance, but from a consumers perspective, when you drop your car to an expert, it seems bazar that the expert would say, it process will take 6 months, then to omit that the vehicle will be dead long before then, not say anything then pass that to the customer. With your premises, is that correct your saying each customer is required to ensure that all steps are taken and there is no legal duty on the expert to protect or say anything to them?
I don't want to misrepresent your position but it sounds like that is what your saying, that the burden falls on the owner to legally ensure the shop takes the correct steps to preserve a bike while in their possession. I think that sounds reasonable if there is an unpaid lean but I find it unreasonable that the service charge and repair does not include damage caused to the bike during the duration of the repair itself.

I'm not saying people do this, but in theory, each repair that comes in over 3 months would end up in the bike requiring additional repairs would it not, Replacement battery, any part of the fuel system.

Thank you for any additional input Haya.
In theory, I do agree, any entity offering a service to a customer should be proactive towards that customer. But being old and suspicious, I believe no one on this planet is as diligent as I am when it comes to my vehicle(s). I certainly agree that this particular shop should have reached out to you long before but knowing what I know (or have heard) about repair shops/dealerships (admittedly having never worked at one), I would have been calling them/dropping by during the wait time.

I had a similar experience with my Gen 2: needed a wheel when there was a nat'l backorder on OEM parts. Chose not to leave the bike at the shop while waiting.

You should certainly raise this issue with the shop. But being a pessimist, I'd be surprised if that shop were willing to accept and shoulder any of the blame.

I agree, I will note however, I am not relying on the shop to "shoulder" the blame, adults hardly ever do that. What I am more interested is if I can show a Duty for the mechanics to maintain the bike in like condition while it is in their possession, If so there is already a breach, causation and damages. What I am getting at is if its normally apart of the trade because that's what the court is going to ask when time comes for trial if they don't want to take reasonability. If so they aren't going to have much of a defense. If they want, I can drag them into court in front of the public and they can decide if they want to let everyone know that they feel they can leave a bike out in the sun without any obligation, they can go with the defense if they like and well see how that pans out for them. I just want to be triple sure I am not mistaken about both the cause and the trade standard.

Thank you for the input!

PostScript: That company Welcome to - Techworks Performance responded with a quote of $190. I will sent a letter asking for the shops input on if they want to assert their claim against the word of this company vs. taking reasonability. This source was helpful, thank you!

I agree, I will note however, I am not relying on the shop to "shoulder" the blame, adults hardly ever do that. What I am more interested is if I can show a Duty for the mechanics to maintain the bike in like condition while it is in their possession, If so there is already a breach, causation and damages. What I am getting at is if its normally apart of the trade because that's what the court is going to ask when time comes for trial if they don't want to take reasonability. If so they aren't going to have much of a defense. If they want, I can drag them into court in front of the public and they can decide if they want to let everyone know that they feel they can leave a bike out in the sun without any obligation, they can go with the defense if they like and well see how that pans out for them. I just want to be triple sure I am not mistaken about both the cause and the trade standard.

Thank you for the input!

PostScript: That company Welcome to - Techworks Performance responded with a quote of $190. I will sent a letter asking for the shops input on if they want to assert their claim against the word of this company vs. taking reasonability. This source was helpful, thank you!
WOW man..... ure going to go to court over a 900 dollar fuel pump? why not just fix it and ride it....... I mean, at some point you have to place a value on YOUR time and energy and effort... just not worth it.

Well no, not if the shop takes care of the issue they caused. No need for that. I will note, if a shop takes your inventory, damages it, then knowingly lies about the cause then passes the charge down the line to the customer, I admit that's pretty court worthy. Were not that far yet really, Techworks could come back and say its a failure from some other issue.

I have a 01 Hayabusa Gen 1 and when I connect the battery wires up I only get these two lights that are on as shown in the picture even with the key off and the start switch off. When I turn the key on nothing happens as the same when I flip the start switch too, no gauges no fuel pump priming no headlights or break lights just nothing. I've checked all the fuses and the main fuse too. I've checked all wires and connecters and I've checked the battery it all checks out good. Can someone please tell me what's going on with the bike.

Screenshot_20220916-194122.png

Welcome,

Electrical issues are my least favorite thing but.......

Have you checked the main ground wire that runs from the battery to a bolt on the engine?

Could even be the ignition switch itself is pooched.

Welcome to the forum @atwoodc04.

What do you know about the history of this bike?

This is unlikely but I can ask because I am insane: Is the circuit energized in the wrong direction? Check the polarity of the battery versus the power and negative cables. If a battery compartment is intact the battery only sits one way and it is good by default, but we cannot see if that is intact, therefore I ask.

With that out of the way test for a short circuit. Take an ammeter and set it to its highest setting (20A/50A, etc.) Put on some gloves. Tape the ammeter between the battery negative terminal and the negative cable. Turn the setting down (20=>2=>.2) until you get a valid reading. The normal max is .03A or 3mA. What does it actually read? Above this amount indicates excessive power flow. In that case pull fuses until those lights go out. That identifies the circuit with the problem. Start physical tracing the circuit from the electrical diagram in the service manual. Chewed cable or loose or bare wires would be a big hint.

Back