Starting Issue 2012 Gen2 Hayabusa

Richy1340

Registered
Hi All I'm new to the group, my name is Richy and I ride a 2012 Gen 2 Hayabusa.

I have a starting related issue. When I hit the starter button, everything sounds fine and the bike almost wants to start, when it does eventually start after 2nd or 3rd try, it cuts out unless I give it a slight rev then it idles and rides normally.

My bike was boosted and recently took it back to start as it did not make economical sense as I use the bike daily.

I am starting to think the issue could be fuel pump related as I recently replaced the little grommet for the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel pump assembly as it was torn which caused spluttering until I ease off the throttle and bike would slowly ease up. I have purchased a new grommet and replaced it which sorted out that issue.

I also purchased a new fuel pump but have not fitted as yet as the current stock pump "seems to be working fine" or should I just go ahead and replace it and test it?

Appreciate any feedback

Man, there is a whole list of things you can check, lets start with your fuel pump, first of...dont fix what aint broken and if you do, replace with good quality parts. But did you check your fuel filter? fuel flow/pressure test...sinds you took the pump out, there is even a chance that some dirt/crap got lose and entered your injector filters, How old are your sparks? coils in spec? any vacuum leaks?
Battery voltage good and going up when reving, startmotor brushes still at lenght.....see where i'm getting at? lotts to check, but start with the things that started this problem, check your fuel flow and if you can do a pressure test....you could take of the injectors and clean them out with carb cleaner and air.....best would be a shop or ultrasonic bath....look for codes.
so start simple and start elliminating if you dont have codes....sparks, and testing/cleaning.

by the way, what do you mean with boosted? Flashed? Any bike thats EFI i would atleast recommend to get flashed.
Your the one controlling the throtlle, not the flash, but factory settings are always on the lean side at low RPM's, all to save the planet!! Forgot another thing to most certanly check.....get it in dealer mode and check your TPS, your minus before the C should be displayed in the midlle, if its down then adjust your TPS. For the rest....better wait till others jump in and correct me where i'm wrong and point you in other directions to look.

Was boosted ? Did the bike start alright before you made changes ? If you removed the boost, did you have the bike tuned ?

Man, there is a whole list of things you can check, lets start with your fuel pump, first of...dont fix what aint broken and if you do, replace with good quality parts. But did you check your fuel filter? fuel flow/pressure test...sinds you took the pump out, there is even a chance that some dirt/crap got lose and entered your injector filters, How old are your sparks? coils in spec? any vacuum leaks?
Battery voltage good and going up when reving, startmotor brushes still at lenght.....see where i'm getting at? lotts to check, but start with the things that started this problem, check your fuel flow and if you can do a pressure test....you could take of the injectors and clean them out with carb cleaner and air.....best would be a shop or ultrasonic bath....look for codes.
so start simple and start elliminating if you dont have codes....sparks, and testing/cleaning.
New fuel filter, spark plugs iridium have about 5k on them, voltage is good and bike revs up clean. I will be changing out the fuel pump tonight. if problem persist I will have the injectors looked at. This issue is intermittent, I am thinking fuel pressure related i.e. fuel pump and possibly injectors.

Thanks for the response!

Bike started fine before we made changes, my bike has been tuned. I have 2 ecu's. 1 for the turbo bolt on setup and 1 for the N/A setup.

by the way, what do you mean with boosted? Flashed? Any bike thats EFI i would atleast recommend to get flashed.
Your the one controlling the throtlle, not the flash, but factory settings are always on the lean side at low RPM's, all to save the planet!! Forgot another thing to most certanly check.....get it in dealer mode and check your TPS, your minus before the C should be displayed in the midlle, if its down then adjust your TPS. For the rest....better wait till others jump in and correct me where i'm wrong and point you in other directions to look.
Both my ecu's are flashed, 1 for the turbo bolt on kit and 1 for the N/A setup

Hey, thought I would share an update, I sent my fuel pump to be ultrasonic cleaned, seems like the cartridge filter in the pump housing is very dirty and could be the cause of my issue and causing the new fuel pump to whine and labor. Fingers cross, will update after I get the pump back, install and update.

to late now, but i bet that a decent ultra sonic cleaner would have cost you way less then this, some detergent and voila, you can clean as much as you want. Your able to pull your own pump, so think about getting some tools that will save you in the end.
one of the best purchase i made....or atleast when i still worked a lott with carburetor bikes, but even now with injectors, fuel pumps, throtle bodys.....same goes for a good obd reader, i got the healtech, and for finding problems....also a must have.
but anyhow, hope it works out and does the trick, good luck

Hey, thought I would share an update, I sent my fuel pump to be ultrasonic cleaned, seems like the cartridge filter in the pump housing is very dirty and could be the cause of my issue and causing the new fuel pump to whine and labor. Fingers cross, will update after I get the pump back, install and update.
to late now, but i bet that a decent ultra sonic cleaner would have cost you way less then this, some detergent and voila, you can clean as much as you want. Your able to pull your own pump, so think about getting some tools that will save you in the end. one of the best purchase i made....or atleast when i still worked a lott with carburetor bikes, but even now with injectors, fuel pumps, throtle bodys.....same goes for a good obd reader, i got the healtech, and for finding problems....also a must have. but anyhow, hope it works out and does the trick, good luck
to late now, but i bet that a decent ultra sonic cleaner would have cost you way less then this, some detergent and voila, you can clean as much as you want. Your able to pull your own pump, so think about getting some tools that will save you in the end. one of the best purchase i made....or atleast when i still worked a lott with carburetor bikes, but even now with injectors, fuel pumps, throtle bodys.....same goes for a good obd reader, i got the healtech, and for finding problems....also a must have. but anyhow, hope it works out and does the trick, good luck

Update on my fuel issue, Happy to say the ultrasonic bath sorted it out. I also experienced my temp dropped when riding, replaced thermo stat and all seems to be well again.

Thank you to everyone for all the advice and help, I really appreciate it.

Back