Hayabusa Brake Upgrade rant.

bigoltool

Registered
As most Hayabusa owners already know, the bike (particularly the first Generation but also to some extent the Gen II models as well) came with brakes ill-suited to the job of shedding the shear kinetic energy these bikes easily generate. I also suspect most of us have taken steps (some more extreme than others) to remedy the situation by one means or another. This is nothing new; I cannot remember a stock motorcycle (until recently!) that was not left wanting in the braking department. Modern bikes are coming with near SBK spec Radial calipers, full floating rotors, radial Master cylinders and amazing electronic aids to allow you to utilize them to the fullest without hurting yourself.

Most of us started off with the easy stuff. Braided Brake lines, better pads, better fluid and were still left wanting. I even took the step to add speed bleeders and also a bleeder to my MC Banjo to get every last molecule of air out of my lines! Looked cool but at the end of the day I think I was right where I started.

Then you get into the slightly more expensive options such as Aftermarket rotors, Upgraded Master Cylinders etc. Most seem to be satisfied at this level, but there is more to be had! This is where you start getting into expensive aftermarket upgrades or full on transplants.

The Gen II guys have it a bit easier here as they are (generally) a Caliper upgrade and a new master Cylinder, and maybe rotors away from near nirvana. Why Suzuki went with anything but a 320mm rotor here is beyond me! But us Gen I guys have a bit tougher row to hoe, so to speak. The Stock 90mm axial Tokico 6 piston calipers are awful and don’t have much in the way of direct bolt on upgrades save for Nissin 6 pots or older GSXR or TL 4 pots. I have not found many Hayabusa guys who bought into this particular mod. Those that did don’t seem to be totally enthralled with the result for the most part. There are a variety of adapters available (if you’re willing to scour the web) to adapt the stock fork legs to either 100mm (euro) or 108mm (most popular) Radial calipers, as well as select adapters to allow you to mount either 40mm or 65mm Axial calipers to the stock 90mm fork legs. There are some tasty options here if you can come up with the proper adapters! More on this later.

The other options involve transplants. I haven’t really seen one that is a true bolt on swap though. A complete front end from a late model Busa seems to be the simplest method. But again Suzuki did us no favor there as the Rotors are different diameter and spaced differently than the Gen I. So you either get a Gen II wheel and rotors or resort to spacers to try and rectify the situation. Neither seems optimal frankly. There are of course aftermarket solutions from say Ohlins for instance but those are for the High End boys that typically will spare no expense. You know who you are!
The stock Master Cylinder is also a major point of contention for all of us I suspect. They are extremely bulky, aesthetically bland and ill matched to the calipers they serve in most cases. I would wager that most of us would love to get rid of both MC’s and swap them out for the latest Radial masterpieces, finances allowing of course. I will skip over the easy stuff like Lines, pads and fluids for the purpose of this exercise. I have hyperlinked a lot of the stuff in the following for those interested.

Master Cylinders-
• The dual ratio Brembo RCS19 seems to be the queen of the fleet in this realm as of late. It has two different ratios (19x18 and 19x 20) built in. It is not too much more expensive than their other fixed ratio offerings and already has provision for brake lights etc. Lots of them have found their way onto Busa’s with generally raving results. Bring your own reservoir here, either the Brembo or a multitude of aftermarket options are available.
• The first alternate seems to be the Accosato PRS which trumps the Brembo’s dual ratio design with a triple ratio (19x17, 19x18 and 19x19) design, but it has no on board brake light provision so you’ll need to plan accordingly with a banjo bolt sender etc. As with the Brembo, also needs a reservoir.
• There seem to be multiple OEM Cylinders being used on Busa’s. The R1 or R6 Brembo seems popular as well as the GSXR Radial offering. Most can be found easily on ebay or motorcycle wrecking yards. Lots of options here if you know what to look for!
• There are some other tasty offerings in the aftermarket such as Beringer, PVM, Magura etc, but none seem to be very prevalent in this realm.

Calipers-
• Radial- Gen II bolt on, or Gen I with adapters or alternate forks.
o Brembo reigns supreme in this realm. Their calipers are “De rigueur†on modern motorcycles! Even the current GSXR and Hayabusa’s come with them stock. But not all are created equal as you might imagine. These can range from a few hundred to several thousand per caliper. The M4 seems to be the best of the street oriented “Monoblock†radial calipers and is available in 100mm or 108mm variety.
o Tokico or Nissin OEM calipers are all readily available and (Tokico) I think were stock on the early Gen II’s.
o There are others available from AP, Berringer etc. But none are as prevalent on the street or the track as the Brembo’s.
• AXIAL- Really only Gen I specific
o Brembo makes some truly outstanding offerings here if you can get the adapters. In particular the P4.34 4 piston , 4 pad calipers are the ones of most interest. They were Original equipment on the Early 2000’s Ducati and Aprilia’s. And by all accounts, are an outstanding piece. Alternatively the “Goldline†P4 30/34 4 piston 2 pad are a good substitute and both can be had on the cheap. With the right adapter these bolt right on and do not require shims or smaller diameter rotors or any of that. I have read great things about this setup and it is financially attractive as well!
o Brembo also makes some 40mm Monoblock Axial GP Calipers but man are they spendy.
o As I mentioned above the Nissin 6 piston or Older 4 piston calipers are the only true bolt on’s of any merit. None are going to set the world on fire.

Rotors-
• Material: Again these range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars for some of the more exotic materials such as Ceramic or CMC Composite. Most Street Rotors are made of Stainless steel for corrosion resistance; however Iron rotors are available and offer more ultimate performance to their SS brethren. Just have to choose whether you can deal with a little rust vs better braking performance!
• Shape: A litany of different shapes of rotors are now available, and I cannot find a single piece of evidence anywhere that they offer any performance enhancement over round rotors whatsoever? But hey they look cool.
• Carriers: For decades stock motorcycles have come with floating rotors, with a central basket typically secured to the outer disc with buttons that allow the outer rotor to “float†side to side on the carrier. Some of the more recent and novel innovations on this front are the Brembo T-drive Rotors and the Braketech Axis rotors. Both are sexy as hell and offer pretty serious performance enhancement for not a lot of outlay over their boutique contemporary competition.

Adapters- This has been the bane of my existence in recent days and also the one thing that made me decide to write this. Yoyodyne used to have this all covered, but they lost the North American Brembo Distributorship and sold all of their stock of Brembo to TAW who Is the new NA Brembo Distributor. The guys at TAW are seemingly just now getting their arms around all of the inventory they purchased from Yoyodyne.
• Radial Adapters- There seem to be more of these available in the world but some of them look a bit dodgy frankly. Most are sourced from the Orient, though there are a few domestic offerings as well. As of this writing I would have to say the AGRAS adapters appear to be the most robust. The Team Adachi ones are really sexy but spendy. The Works Quality ones are the cheapest listed on that site. I would welcome contributions here. If you have a good source for these let me know and I could add it.
• Axial Adapters- Same story as above. But fewer available. Again most of the ones I found are from the Orient. These Active ones are cheap and available at a few different places, but they state 310mm rotors on the Japanese site so…I spoke to Yoyodyne, who directed me to TAW and in speaking with TAW they have the Brembo made adapters previously sold by Yoyodyne but they want almost twice what Yoyodyne was asking for them…There are a few members on here that have done this swap and/or made their own and hopefully they can contribute a source? If someone had a CAD model or 2D drawing (of either the Radial or Axial adapters) they were willing to share would be even better. I have started a rough CAD model for one but I do not have the new calipers yet to verify if any of it works.

Thanks, honestly I am sort of hoping that others can chime in and add their 2 cents worth/correct anything I might have wrong here. I am in the planning stages of doing a low cost brake upgrade and frankly some of the parts are just not readily available.

I could see doing a low cost upgrade being very tough with this stuff :)

I applaud you on even considering developing your own parts. Maybe you could 3D print some prototypes on the cheap then have them cnc'd on emachineshop.com or something. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Good write up, I may use one of those adjustable master cylinders with these.....

IMG_0691.JPG

BB

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally mystified by what I witness with guys who spend big bucks on brake improvements only to learn they put touring tires between the brakes and the asphalt. This process completely eludes me! :dunno:

I suspect it is about feel more than outright braking power. Even the Stock Brakes will lock the wheel if you lay into them hard enough. But if you are exerting that much force on the brake lever it stands to reason that it is distracting from the other steering and throttle inputs required of your right hand. Even the latest Dual Sport and touring bikes are coming with Full Radial Brake setups albeit accompanied by state of the art electronics. Gotta give people what they want.

I suspect it is about feel more than outright braking power. Even the Stock Brakes will lock the wheel if you lay into them hard enough. But if you are exerting that much force on the brake lever it stands to reason that it is distracting from the other steering and throttle inputs required of your right hand. Even the latest Dual Sport and touring bikes are coming with Full Radial Brake setups albeit accompanied by state of the art electronics. Gotta give people what they want.

That's not necessarily the case.

Great right up. Ill throw a few items out there along with pictures . The Kawasaki ZRX1100 / 1200 both come with the same brakes as Gen I haybusa .
They suck but its what we had for many years . On the ZRXOA we all went through what is going on here . I built a street legal ZRX1200 drag bike with a single full floating rotor from a ZX10 / radial adapter from brand X I cant remember , ZX14 radial masters , stock ZX10 break pads that I hear suck .

Outcome was just shy of a miracle in stopping power . one finger normal stopping pwer compared to 4 fingers for OEM . Accidental stoppies . Its worth the time/effort to find a better solution to the OEM gen 1 brakes .

here are stock zrx brakes

DragRace004_zps24a31660.jpg

Current set up on my drag bike

DSC_0257_zps9x2pwaob.jpg
DSC_0254_zpsiv2zqqam.jpg
DSC_0244_zpsiburl0xn.jpg
DSC_0246_zpsozbehppy.jpg

377130-91a9b8f5d6df1e7d4646252f2e8f9487.jpg

Great write up.....I went with the gen2 breaking upgrades on my gen1 and let me tell you it was a pain in the you know what. I wanted to keep my gen1 BST wheels and EBC rotors. Everything seem to go on but I needed 4x5mm calipers spacers, which came out to about 40 bucks. There still a problem with my pads and calipers lining up and not rubbing more on one side than the other, I hope to be able to fix this problem by adding to the rotors washers.

Great write up.....I went with the gen2 breaking upgrades on my gen1 and let me tell you it was a pain in the you know what. I wanted to keep my gen1 BST wheels and EBC rotors. Everything seem to go on but I needed 4x5mm calipers spacers, which came out to about 40 bucks. There still a problem with my pads and calipers lining up and not rubbing more on one side than the other, I hope to be able to fix this problem by adding to the rotors washers.

Thanks, the adapter issue is more or less what spawned the post!

Ok so after I started this thread several weeks ago, I made an ~$300 budget, and a plan, and went about gathering the parts I needed. After doing a lot of searching all over the (literally the entire) world for information I had decided that going to radial calipers was not going to be worth the cost or the trouble involved. So that meant going to either bolt on 90mm Nissin Axial calipers or 65mm adapters and Axial Brembo’s. I opted for the latter. And I stayed within about $25 of my budget so I consider it a win.

There are a few good choices in Brembo calipers here. The 4 pot, 2 pad, P4 30/34 “Goldline’sâ€￾ (which were used on lots of bikes) or the P4 34, 4 pot, 4 pad which were stock on the Ducati 999, Aprilia RSV and several other front line sport bikes from the pre-radial era. I opted for the latter after reading rave reviews of them in multiple locations. And I could not be more pleased with the aesthetics! I sourced a pair of them from a Ducati 999 off of eBay for $195. And aside from missing the banjo bolts they were in great shape and even had a set of nearly new EBC HH pads in them. So I saved a chunk of change there. I took them apart and cleaned everything up and put them right back together.

The adapters were the one part that I spent a lot of time trying to find. I reached out to numerous sources, but in the end I bit the bullet and bought some adapters from an eBay reseller in Taiwan for $105 with shipping. Have to admit I was skeptical! However the parts arrived in less than a week and were beautifully machined, and black anodized at my request, and included the M10-1.25 x 25 mm SS Allen head hex bolts for attaching them. The Stock bolts are around 35mm long and slightly protrude from the back side of the mount. Nothing to be concerned with, there is nothing for them to contact as I have them. I may either cut them off or buy 4 more 25mm bolts to replace them.

Turns out the Banjo bolts became far more of a pain to source than any of the big ticket items. I had ordered a pair of Lightech M10X1.00 Banjo bolts from OPP racing to fit the Brembo calipers fine thread. The Stock Tokico’s use a M10 x 1.25 (coarse)banjo bolt and will not work. Anyway the first order arrived and had one of the correct (fine thread) bolts and one of the M10x 1.25 (coarse thread). I called them and they sent out another bolt two days later. But it was also Coarse thread. They finally got me the right one today and allowed me to finish bolting everything together without further incident.

After thoroughly cleaning my rotors with contact cleaner, I bolted and safety wired everything together and thoroughly bled the brakes with ATE TYP 200 Dot 4, I literally ran for my riding gear. After doing a brake bedding lap of the island I let them cool off for a bit and then tried some more aggressive stops. I have to say that these puppies are as advertised! I am glad I put the Tech Spec Grips on my tank because they are necessary now! The improvement to the stopping power is amazing and I have no doubt that as I get the pads further bedded with my stock rotors they will improve even more. The modulation seems to have improved as well. While its still early I think this might be my favorite mod so far!

Brembos and mounts.jpg

Brembo Installed.jpg

Maybe it's just me but I think the brakes on my 2011 are very adequate with just a few inexpensive mods. I installed braided lines from Pashnit and EBC HH pads. I also changed the size and shape of the finger on the brake lever where it contacts the head of the piston on the master cylinder to get a lever position that was optimal for me. None of the five available positions was just right for me. I don't ride 180 mph, but for normal street use I think the Gen II brakes are up to the task.

Very nice! I am glad everything worked out for you, especially with the Ebay purchase. Those can be pretty nerve wracking at times :D

I am def using this thread as a resource when the time comes to do my own brake upgrade. ;)

Just for reference, I had EBC HH pads and Galfer lines on my bike to start with. So my comments about the improvements are in reference to that setup.

The next logical step will likely be a a Brembo RCS19 master cylinder. Gotta start saving for that though!

I went the inexpensive route......or so I would claim.

On my 2006 Hayabusa I went with proven Nissin radial calipers and adapters to my Ohlins forks. Braketech floating rotor, Brembo 19x20 master cylinder, SBS HH brake pads, HEL brake lines with Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid. With lighter wheels, ceramic bearings and sticky tires, I think it brakes quite well.

IMG_20111224_202136_2.jpg

IMG_20110929_155336.jpg

On my ZRX 1200R, I have ZX9 forks with radial adapters holding Yamaha R1 calipers, Galfer HH pads and Nissin 19x16 master cylinder. Not as agressive as the Busa but also quite effective.

DSC04519.jpg

Back