Have you ever fallen in Jeans?

Ice I am 6'2 315. The inseam is 30". The pants fit perfectly. With plenty of washes i wearthem every ride!!! They are very solid. Saved my ass in more ways than one!!
laugh.gif

The flipside to the draggin jeans being a little warmer and heavier, is that when my friends and I were coming back from the Philly bike fest, we hit rain. With my draggin jeans, leather coat and knuckled gloves. I did not get wet at all!! The kevlar seems to be water repellant. The denim was wet, but it never made it inside to my legs. So i was comfortable, warm and most of all dry!!
cool.gif
Cant say that about my friends though. they were soaked.

Reiterating what Thrash said...

Nemesis...unless you dig having all three layers of skin ripped off your ass and knees, jeans will not do. Take time to look at the link Thrash posted up...then you'll see first hand what I'm talking about.

I'm not even gonna rant about the gear thing...do what you think is best for you. If you get all fugged up, then also remember that it was no one's fault but your own.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but like Thrash said...there's some real-life damage for you to look at. If you like stuff like that, then by all means, do it. Just let me be the first to tell you that you're gonna regret it.

I didn't know about your situation but the reason I got to thinking was my wifes friend was riding and supposedly lost and entire butt cheek. He has been in the hospital for over 2 months know. I was figuring that it possibly wouldn't have happened with a good jacket.

unfortunatly for most of us fools, myself included, the hard way is the only way, don't let that be you!! plez listen up!
ride safe,
Mik

<!--EDIT|Mikuniman
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093833102 -->

I didn't know about your situation but the reason I got to thinking was my wifes friend was riding and supposedly lost and entire butt cheek. He has been in the hospital for over 2 months know. I was figuring that it possibly wouldn't have happened with a good jacket.
Nemisis -

To the best of my knowledge, a jacket will not protect anything from the waste down.

I think your primary areas of protection for a jacket (well all over ) but the areas you will most likely require jacket protection are the back (espacially the areas in each side of the spine where the muscles are located)

Your elbows, forearms, outside of your shoulders. most of the time when a rider goes down they seem to skid on their backside.

Pants are required to prety much protect anything below the top of the hip area (IMHO)

And if you want to keep your legs intact in the event of having the bike lay on your leg and drag it over asphalt, make sure you have good riding boots.

I speak from experiance. I had a 750 drag my leg under it for 20 feet at roughly 40 MPH. My boots had the buckles ground off, but the leg was fine. Without the boots, I probably would have had a broken ankle minimum and all the meat ground off the outside of the leg, not to mention maybe having a bike part or two stuck into my leg

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093834741 -->

I like the draggin' jeans, but I will definitely have to look into the under-armor pants. Seems to be quite cool.

I didn't know about your situation but the reason I got to thinking was my wifes friend was riding and supposedly lost and entire butt cheek.  He has been in the hospital for over 2 months know.  I was figuring that it possibly wouldn't have happened with a good jacket.
Cool...I dunno about losin an entire butt cheek...you'd have to be going pretty fast to have that happen.

I hit the ground at 65-70mph. I lost all three layers of skin on my left palm and on my left butt cheek.

My jeans ripped in about 2 seconds...if you haven't already, take time to look at the links Thrash posted up. Then you'll see what I mean.

Regular jeans will last about 5 feet at low speeds. I know this from first hand experiance. I hit the road at about 90, head and shoulders first, tumbled once or twice ( I think), then slid on my shoulders until the last second or so when my butt finally hit the ground. I had almost come to a stop before my butt hit and still the entire back side of my jeans was ripped apart. I second the boots thing. Tumbling down the road at 90 can be hard on the ankles and feet. If not for the ankle and toe protection on my riding boots I do believe I would have broken one or both ankles and some toes. The boots where scarred but the only damage to me was a little toe that turned completely black.

I dunno if I was just lucky or what but I downed a busa at 90 mph in nothing but jean shorts, tee-shirt, and helmet of course. It was TOTALLY stupid of me to be riding like that but I have to say the upper part of my legs were totally unscathed. The jeans did not even rip. Now the uncovered part of my legs were literally ate down to where the bone was exposed below both knee caps but the upper thigh area was fine. I still have the shorts today and the only thing wrong with them is the cut down the side where the paramedics stripped me on the side of the highway. lol. Like I said maybe I was lucky but today I still ride with REGULAR jeans cuz the material held up fine for me.

one thing to consider, if you ever plan on going to the drag strip most locations require leather if you are going over 120. or if you are cheap you can slam on the brakes just b4 the quarter ends. alot of guys who dont wanna put cages in their cars will do that.

Matt

Boy Howdy, I agree with Thrasher! Think about it? There is a reason why no one is allowed on the track unless they have full leathers, either a suit or zip together pants and jacket!

I won't go off on why you should wear good gear but,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have a nurse friend in Yakima, Washington who had a rider come in a number of years ago who had gone down wearing a helmet, leather jacket and jeans. She told me he was fine from the waist up, not a scratch,,,,,,,, however, from the waist down, he had hardly any skin left. Ground it down into the meat on most of his lower body. She said while they were trying to clean the dirt and gravel out of his wounded ass, he woke up the whole place with his screams!

In my humble opinion, "Don't buy any mods for your bike until you buy GOOD riding gear"! If you fall off your scooter at 150 mph wearing jeans it will be UGLY, and it will make little difference whether you have on shorts or dragin jeans.! How many of you are guilty of high speed with jeans? Every now and then I get some guy wearing jeans and tennis shoes wanting to play with me and I never bite. Just wouldn't want to spoil my lunch if he goes down?

I wear the Icon barrier pants. They're pretty heavy. I hope I never have to test them. I see everyone here in fl. (especially the cruisers )with a t-shirt, shorts, FLIP-FLOPS, that's right, flip-flops!! and to really protect their head........sunglasses of course!

<!--EDIT|diesel
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105311932 -->

Quick question / opinion on the Bohn Under Pants. They are foam pads sewn in a Lycra material. Here is the question... what will lycra do to protect anything? I know what the pads are there for, but in all honesty on a slide they will disappear quickly and You'll end up with matching Azz Cheek scars with PAC! Thanks to this thread 9 and the link to PAC's Pics ) I'm pitchin the GEL inserted gloves and lookin for some GOOD riding gloves that are designed to be worn in HOT areas ( Live in FL ) THEN I'm sliding some Draggin' jeans over my happy azz before my next ride in the saddle. The Arai Helmet and AlpineStars Jacket have the rest covered. Thanks for the Eye opener PAC!!! and thanks for bringing the thread back to life REV! I truly appreciate it!
smile.gif

Back