Have you ever done this??

screamin kanji

Donating Member
Registered
First of all, I have been installing my fairing screens over the weekend, so, Mon night I re-assemble fairings on bike. Tues night I wash bike(tryin to get it all purty for yall on the Org. Anyway, Last night I clean bike with wax. Today I get home from work and decide...All I hafta do to service the bike for the year is to adjust and lube the chain, only take a few minutes. So I put the bike up on my new stands(Thanks GPI) and crank-her-up, and put her in gear, and start to spray the chain with chain lube. I sprayed it down pretty good. So I decide to take her around the block(for no other reason than I cant touch bike without ridin her). I get her back in the garage and put her on stands. Instantly, oil starts flowing from beneath her. Quickly shut her off. I set a new world record for the least amount of time to remove the fairing looking for a leak. Thinkin I broke/cracked something around the sprocket(this is gonna be a high $$$ repair). I get the fairing off and started wiping oil off of everything i could see. It looks like engine oil(this isnt good, i wanted to ride Sunday). As i tear her apart, i am wiping her and trying to find source of leak. No leak found. Stared the bike and let her run for 20 minutes. not 1 drop of oil hit the floor. Apparantly I used waaaay too much chain lube and it ran off the chain and down the case only to spill into the belly poan before hitting the floor. LESSON LEARNED, dont use too much lube when lubing the chain. sorry if i bored anyone, everything happened so fast that i could swear i was havin a PANIC ATTACK/heart attack dreading the worst. Lookin back at that moment my hands were like power tools, they've never moved that fast for anything. Thank Goodness everything is OK.

I use chain wax, can't confuse it with oil
thumb_up.gif

Yeah, it doesn't take a whole helluva lot.

I used to use wax but in this area, it just attracts grit which will grind away the x-rings (or whatever you have). Now, I use a silicone lube spray. Much cleaner.

--Wag--

No crud to clean up ever, either.

--Wag--

chain wax here too... I used PJ's for years until DNGrumpy let me use his chainwax last year..

and crank-her-up, and put her in gear, and start to spray the chain with chain lube.
Dude, this is not a safe situation... Just keep the bike off and Put her in neutral... Turn by hand.  Why
rock.gif
I know the next thing is cleaning off the mess with a rag the same way... and then... Losing your finger by accident  
face7.gif
 Just a friendly tip...

+1 on the chain wax.

Thank you for your concern, but I had a piece of cardboard between sprocket and tire for run-off. and I wasnt gonna wipe excess off chain, thats why i have tire spinning. it also prevents me from drowning the chain(spinning by hand like i did tonite). i  know its prolly NOT the safest, but i am clear of all moving parts. i use spray, so i can get away from bike to lube chain.

By The Way, thank you all for NOT criticizing me.
dunno.gif

You should apply the lube when the chain is hot. Then let it set for a couple hours. Riding the bike right after lubing slings off a ton of lube that would have set into your chain.

Not to thread jack and I know this opens up a can of worms, but....

My chain has lube on the INSIDE. Doesn't yours?

If you keep the chain clean, the bike will be happy.

Now if you have a standard chain, go with chain wax for less spray-off.

Chris

all real good points, but i kinda agree with earlier post about wax collecting dirt. the ride around the block is only about 100 yards. dont think i got her above 15mph. thanks for all your inputs. maybe i'll try the wax someday.

Do you really lube a sealed chain?

I thought chain lube was for chains with no sealed lubricant within the chain links? Lubing the outside of the chain would be of no consequience other than keeping the links from rust?

Isn't wax made expecially for sealed chains to keep dirt and grit from the o-rings?

We use lube on the nonsealed race chains but never on sealed chain.

Am I wrong?

O-ring chains have o-ring lube and x-ring chains have x-ring lube.

From what I know, the lube you spray on a chain does to things.
1)Keeps the o-rings from drying out and thus maintaining a seal.
2)When the chain is hot, the lube will penetrate past the o-rings.

All o-ring and x-ring chain manufacturers will tell you to lube every 300-500 miles.

Do you really lube a sealed chain?

I thought chain lube was for chains with no sealed lubricant within the chain links? Lubing the outside of the chain would be of no consequience other than keeping the links from rust?

Isn't wax made expecially for sealed chains to keep dirt and grit from the o-rings?

We use lube on the nonsealed race chains but never on sealed chain.

Am I wrong?
Steve quit messing
spank.gif
Although tearing your fairing off looking for an oil leak is a little out of control
rock.gif

I go for a ride first to get the chain hot. Then with the bike off and on the stand. Take a rag with some WD40 sprayed on the rag and roll by hand the wheel. This helps removethe old junk on the chain. Then lube with chain wax. Then take another rag a wipe the chain again to get off the excess lube. In fact the bike is on the stand for that purpose and to adjust the chain!!!!
cool.gif

Cleaning and adjusting the chain is on the slate for this weekend. Most of our Sunday ride was in the rain.

Back