Has anyone had to?

busa1300nut

Registered
Ive talked to my dealer and he is calling Suzuki tommorow, he say,s they may or may not cover the starter upgrade,he say,s the reason they have not done a recall yet is it,s not a safety issue, but he also said the two other Busa,s that have been there for the stater problem, Suzuki covered all the part,s (600.00), my Question is (just in case Suzuki don,t pay up ) has anyone had to do the starter up-grade out of pocket, and what was the total cost? He also told me the extended warr. would only cover the orig. starter parts AFTER it went all the way out. WTF? Thank,s for any input on this subject.

Hey busanutt1300,

I have an '02 silver/gray and have had no problems yet (keeping my fingers crossed though...). I was basically told the same exact thing by my dealer. I really think that Suzuki is setting themselves up for some major repercussions if they don't handle this issue a little more diligently. What I did do was spend about $150 at Schnitz Racing to help save me some major repairs down the line in case this does happen. I ordered the heavy duty battery ($109) which has 235 CCA as opposed to the 175 CCA stock. I also ordered the titanium case protector sleeve ($29) that mounts over the starter gear sprocket rod. The protector is supposed to protect the case in case of rollback of the starter gear. When I put on the titanium sleeve, I was able to inspect the gear and it was in pristine condition. I still feel that I have just been lucky though. A new heavy duty starter gear costs about $250 and I figured I'll just wait and see what happens...if anything at all. Fingers are still crossed though. Good Luck!!

Brian

as an '02 owner, I'll be watching this thread too - haven't had any issues with my starter either, (knocking on wood)

hey guys....ironic I find this thread. I JUST got back from the dealer and my service manager made a call to suzuki about this. I told him I wanted it fixed before it blew up. He was told no dice. He was also told that there hasn't been much of a problem unless you put an ignition advancer on. Uh huh.....sure. I told my dealer that if mine ever breaks I'm gonna have the suzuki's reps head on a platter.

what does an ignition advance key do ? Other then the obvious description of itself - I still don't get it ?
rock.gif

Well, I got good news today, my dealer called me today and told me my parts will be here Friday. Suzuki is footing the entire bill, labor and all, I can,t hardly beleive it myself, but it,s true. The only thing I have to pay is the gas to haul it down there (about 3.5 hours) but hey, I need a day off anyway!
tounge.gif

So let me get this straight. Your starter wasn't broken AND they still did the upgrade. I'm going to my dealer tommorrow!

I know I read another thread somewhere but is that prob with the starter on just the 02 or are there other years involved.. Also what did you tell the dealer to make him fix it if it was not broken

Yes Busabro, it only made the(clunking sound) a couple of times, and then I called my dealer, but from what I,ve read on this board, it was bound to get worse. He also told me Suzuki is takeing care of ALL reported problem,s, so you might want to tell them it is makeing noise wether it is or not.
wink.gif

Jumbo, from what I understand, the upgrade did not come out til 2003, and from what I,ve read, all moldels til then are the same, so therefor, I assume the problem is alive and well in all models. All I told the dealer was my starter was making a (clunking sound) and read here, on haybusa.org, about a service bullitin put out on the starter, and he called Suzuki, and then he called me today and told me to bring my bike in and it was all covered, compliment,s of Suzuki. He also told me Suzuki was takeing care of all reported problems with the starter.
smile.gif

Busa1300nut , if you wouldn't mind postin' up the invoice with part #'s when you get it , I'd like to order up all the required shid , an' do it myself .
Please n' thanks..... RSD.

No problem RSD, it will be 1 day next week. My dealer told me that people that did not have the extended warr., Suzuki would pay for the parts, and the dealer would do the labor for FREE. You may want to check into that. The part,s are $600-800 dollars, and2.5 hrs Labor.

No problem RSD, it will be 1 day next week. My dealer told me that people that did not have the extended warr., Suzuki would pay for the parts, and the dealer would do the labor for FREE. You may want to check into that. The part,s are $600-800 dollars, and2.5 hrs Labor.
thx man....

hopefully I can get the parts outa my dealer , but I'll pass on them doin' the labour . I like to repair my own ride .

Glad yer ordeal worked out....

Hav a good 1......RSD.

Back