hard to start when cold

cameltoes_2

Registered
well when its cold (if it sits outside) it cranks 3 or 4 times and back kicks. and all the gauges, clock, anything resets... any ideas?

Battery low.

Get a battery tender.
or
Get a new battery.
or
Get a new high ouput battery.

What year bike do you have.
If its an '02 or earlier, don't let the battery get so low that it back kicks!!!!
It can destroy the idler gear which in turn can crack your engine case.

'03 and later have beefier idler gears, less chance of destroying it.

its a 2000.. and i just put a new battery in jan. then it sat for 2 months..ive been riding it on a regular basis now and its just starting to do this... bad starter?.. bad battery?.. not charging properly? i put a new rectifier in it last fall cause it melted some of the wires next to rectifier..is there something i might be missing? could my stator be getting week or just old?i have over 30k on my bike..whats the deal with a high output battery?

You could do a charging system check to make sure its recharging your battery properly.

High output batteries are just more power so there's a much less likely chance of a back kick. Stock is about 175cca, the YTZ14S has 235cca.

beerchug.gif

I'd still check the charging system just to make sure it doesn't ruin this battery. All you need is a volt meter.

Back