hard start when cold

turbor1

Registered
after fighting so long beginning of summer a hard starting problem when hot, now 4000miles later i have a cold starting issue... My first question, is it normal the fuel pump dosent engage while im crancking? i guess so just want to be sure. (its an 03 btw) when i put ignition on, pump comes on, pressure builds ( i have put a gauge to check pressure, its okay) but while im crancking the fuel pump dosent get power until the motor fires, is that normal? Now i checked for spark, now its kinda hard to do since i was alone, but from what i have seen, didnt seem to have spark so i think the problem is there, what was weird is that when id let go of the starter id see a spark for a sec. Now the last few times its was hard to start when cold (sometimes it starts right ,sometimes it just wont start) it started when i let go of the starter button, like if it catched that spark i saw... weird? one its starded and ran for 1 minute, i can stop it and it will fire right away...no problem until it gets cold again.... what coud it be a bad ecu? i also checked injector pulse, that checked just fine. so its got to be no spark... i also have no fi codes when it doesent start.

Holy crap, why did I read all of that? Speaks volumes to the public education system.

When the ignition and engine stop switch are first placed in the on position the fuel pump pressurizes the system for 3 seconds, at which point the pump stops.
Once the crank is rotated by the starter or the engine has started the ECM signals the fuel pump to function.

Joined this forum today to find out why I'm having this same problem, hard starts when hot or cold. My bike has the 1397cc big bore kit and intake cams. Bought the bike with mods already done. Went to the mechanic that done the work, he suggested the valves were tight and needed adjusting. Routine maintainence he said, well the valves were in spec, compression was fine, he fatten the fuel up on the low end replace the plug which I had also done 3 weeks before, dyno tune it. it produced 173.4 horsepower 105.4 torque.
He had the bike about a week checking it out. I picked the bike up, stopped to get gas about a half mile down the road, filled the tank, hit the starter, it started, but with excessive cranking.
I have the same problem if it's cold. If you twist the throttle while cranking,it back fires. Any thoughts on this problem?

Same problem here. Replaced cam sensor, fuel pump taken out and cleaned, (inside gas tank looks new), 42psi on fuel rail, fuel injectors ultrasonically cleaned replaced O-rings. measured 12 ohms resistance on all 4 fuel injectors, but didn't check if actually opening or closing. Will start if I put gas directly into throttle bodies, but won't restart. I never did a compression test, prob. should of started there.

Same problem here. Replaced cam sensor, fuel pump taken out and cleaned, (inside gas tank looks new), 42psi on fuel rail, fuel injectors ultrasonically cleaned replaced O-rings. measured 12 ohms resistance on all 4 fuel injectors, but didn't check if actually opening or closing. Will start if I put gas directly into throttle bodies, but won't restart. I never did a compression test, prob. should of started there.
Bansh, have you gotten your problems figured out yet?

Back