hard start when hot

brandon0212

Registered
ive got an 2002 busa that is a little hard to start when cold but the hotter the engine gets the harder it gets to start. thanks for any help u can give

the starter doesnt have any problems turning the engine over. it just doesnt want to start. i charged the battery and that seemed to help the problem but it still has the same characteristics. im gonna try new plugs today

This is common. You get a mile form of compression lock in the cylinders from gases/fuel when you come to a stop. The bike will sound like the battery is dying and not want to turn over. Rocking her in gear can move the cylinders enough to release the pressure, but none the less it is normal. This happens on my Gen 1 and 2 during the hottest parts of the summer. No real way to stop it, so shade is your friend.

This is common. You get a mile form of compression lock in the cylinders from gases/fuel when you come to a stop. The bike will sound like the battery is dying and not want to turn over. Rocking her in gear can move the cylinders enough to release the pressure, but none the less it is normal. This happens on my Gen 1 and 2 during the hottest parts of the summer. No real way to stop it, so shade is your friend.

Jesus christ cookie.... where was this comment in my thread!? Come join my 175 post party https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-problems/121805-starting-problems-start-9.html#post2465283

When was the last time the TB's were synced? I have never had this problem with my 05.

ive never synced the tb's. how do u do it

You need sync tool, there are many members on the board that can help you depending on where you are located. If not, your local dealer can do it, I just hate paying them the labor costs.

Here is a really good walk through. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/35030-jinkster-s-how-synch-your-busa.html

I wish I could help you diagnose further, because I cant really tell for sure what is wrong. That is where I would start if this has never been done.

Last edited:
I'm having similar issues with my '09 with only 300 miles on the clock. Noticed it at the gas station a couple days ago. Slow crank, but fired off fairly quickly. Will try to rock her a bit next time, and will keep an eye on the situation.

Will mention to dealer at 600 mile service.

Mike

I'm having similar issues with my '09 with only 300 miles on the clock. Noticed it at the gas station a couple days ago. Slow crank, but fired off fairly quickly. Will try to rock her a bit next time, and will keep an eye on the situation.

Will mention to dealer at 600 mile service.

Mike

Check your charging system. If this is just starting up for you. My buddy's 08 recently developed a hard start issue when hot, well that turned into a no start issue...turned out his regulator/rectifier **** the bed and would only charge the battery when cold...as soon as the bike got warm, it would stop charging the battery and basically the bike would run on straight battery. Eventually on a long ride the battery crapped out. Put a new battery in it on the trip and barely made it home before it killed the new bat. We verified it was charging after initial start up but voltage would drop while riding with the DVM hooked up.

i went thro the same exact thing. i needed a new battery anyway, so that problem is gone. now i have a problem once it starts up as soon as i start to pull away, it shuts off.???

Back