Half of Americans pay NO income tax

A car insurance company does not fix anything. They only distribute the cost of all crashes and pay someone to actually fix your car. Private insurance companies don't diagnose your health problems - they just spread the cost and pay the doctors. Private insurance companies take 25-30% off the top for this service, Medicare takes around 10%. Look at the profits of private insurance companies, what's the biggest building I every city? My entire family are doctors and we have had this discussion over many holiday meals. Medicare is a PIA to manage the paper, but private insurance companies not only burry the doctors with paper they even control he doctors and how they help their patients. All of this information is basically all over the place from all sorts of reliable sources.

Most of the doctors I know would gladly take less money for a better quality of life and to truly be able to care for their patients.

Have a good trip and be safe.
You are correct in that insurance companies don't provide healthcare. They do try to manage the cost by only paying a doctor a set amount for a specific event. Yes they take a portion of that for themselves. However you seem to think that 30% is for profit. So let's go through the responsibilities they have.

Patient A is a member of the ACA system. Patient A presents to their ACA provider. Provider sends patient to get blood work at the in house Lab. That Lab is a separate 3rd party entity. That Lab is not a provider to the ACA network. Patient A does not pay any cost. Doctor A does not pay any lab fees. Who do you think pays 3rd party lab that the ACA system sent patient to?

Doctor A is not responsible to send patient across town or in other instances across a state, in order to find an ACA provider. Patient goes to the lab that the doctor has sent them to.

Now same Patient A is suffering from health related issues due to obesity. Dr. orders patient attend a 9 month weight loss program. That program is outside 3rd party program. Say Weight Watchers as an example. ACA patient does not pay for this. Dr does not pay for this. Who do you think does?

Happens maybe 10,000 times a month in probably one state.

You might want to look at the big buildings that Medicare offices occupy.

As to doctors being glad to take less. They already are. Yet nobody is decreasing their cost to do business.

Now if you want to do like the VA does and provide the physicians with free buildings, free nurses, free diagnostic equipment, and guarantee they won't get sued for malpractice, then you can easily cut their income by half (which is VA typical). Many doctors would be very happy to do so.

That doesn't exist with the ACA. The only thing that exist is a forced lower income part. As you pointed out, the insurance companies are not in the business of providing healthcare or it's supporting infrastructure.

The ACA made a 1 inch thick patient file, turn into a 4 inch thick one. Which means you either have to hire more staff to push paper or find the time as a physician to do it yourself. And oh by the way, that physician is forced to take less pay for the 4 inch thick pile. And hire more staff with that lowered income. Ask your family members how much time they now spend filling out mandatory quality control documents. Patient inquiry forms. Etc.

Medicare makes 10% because they push all the heavy lifting down to the care providers. Forcing them to suck it up as overhead cost.

The ACA isn't much different in that regard.

Last edited:
I know all of that. What I am saying is that their services cost 30% and of that there is profit (a lot of profit, according to what information is public). Medicare does the same service for 10%. Simple as that.

We need to make the medical profession attractive to doctors who want more than a lot of money again. Maybe offer doctors 0% interest student loans or reduced debt. Get them focused again on taking care of patients. Full healthcare coverage is going to require a lot more doctors.

I know all of that. What I am saying is that their services cost 30% and of that there is profit (a lot of profit, according to what information is public). Medicare does the same service for 10%. Simple as that.

We need to make the medical profession attractive to doctors who want more than a lot of money again. Maybe offer doctors 0% interest student loans or reduced debt. Get them focused again on taking care of patients. Full healthcare coverage is going to require a lot more doctors.
maybe we can smuggle a few doctors out of Cuba... capitalism ROCKS

Cuba has an amazing healthcare system actually. My current doctor is Cuban, came here on a boat. Good thing we didn't build a wall along the Florida coast.....
that's because cuba sends their best.... arch... u have to let the hate for trump go... they are allllllllll politicians,

PS: I'd rather have a company that has a profit (i.e. efficient) motive managing my healthcare, than a government agency with staffed with unionized employees with ZERO profit motive any day... Those who want govt run healthcare need to go look at the VA.

FACT: Our company insurance premium before 2008 and Obamacare went up 9-11% a year (manageable). From 08 to now it's has more than QUADRUPLED and we had to cut the benefit AND the percentage the employee has to pay. Last year's offered increase was SIXTY-FOUR percent in ONE year. No company can absorb that kind of expense we can't raise our prices that fast. So now our policy is basically a 'disaster' policy and my deductible is somewhere around $10K per individual before anything kicks in.

The truth is Obamacare was an outright LIE (admitted) in the first place that they knew was doomed to fail, in order to get those who produce/earn/work and pay for insurance to pay for those who don't - and when it failed, to push to single payer because that's "the only way"...

Its not as simple as that. Medicare does less administration than the insurance companies do. They instead push it down to the caregivers, while additionally driving down the rates the caregivers can get for the service. They get 10% for doing pretty much NOTHING but publish schedules, process incoming patient eligibility and processing payments. There is a reason doctors have figured out how to rip of Medicare for millions. They don't have anyone that is watching out for fraud. LIKE THE INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE! How many stories do you hear about a doctor or a patient ripping off the insurance company for millions? Now how many stories do you hear about Drs and patients ripping off Medicare?

Like I said before, the only way we can get a handle on our healthcare cost is to take the profit out of it. Not gonna hold my breath on that one.

On the surface no doctor doesn't love what the intent of the ACA wants to do in principle. Provide healthcare to all. No physician is against that notion. But the reality of the ACA has meant that small individual practices that aren't super specialties face insolvency with the present trajectory the ACA sends them on.

To survive you have to build a large practice that incorporates specialties that are still profitable at least today. The problem is if you build a practice on that model and the ACA decides to cut the incentive/income of the specialties, then you become insolvent on a larger scale.

My g/f makes less money now than she ever did in private practice. She knew from a kid she wanted to be a doctor. She never saw herself doing anything else. The money part was not the reason why. She saw the ACAs trajectory and sold her practice while there was still a market for it. She thanks her medical GOD that she managed to pay off her student debt before that happened. Otherwise the sale proceeds would have been pretty much to pay off her debt.

So she now teaches at a Medical University. That combines patient care with teaching. Pretty much the entire patient load is ACA recipients. Its a requirement that the university hospital takes them since they receive federal funding as a teaching facility. The staff don't get a say in the matter.

Before the ACA came along, Person A, a 16 year old drug addicted girl gets pregnant and miscarries the baby at say 40 weeks. Medically speaking we are at the end of the story.

Now lets show what the ACA has done. Patient A a 16 year drug addicted girl comes in with complications from a drug related pregnancy. At 35 weeks this time. They determine the baby can be saved by implementing the advanced technology of the Neo Natal Intensive Care procedures used there. So the baby is born pre-maturely. And placed in the NICU. This cost is approx 4K for the ACA portion per day. Further we are now paying for medical care of a 16 year old who is now having complications from drug withdrawals. So she is in treatment for that. Now I'm going to throw in another one. This really actually happened. So now as it happens, a hurricane is bearing down on us. An evacuation is ordered for at risk patients. This is all the babies in the NICU and all the staff needed to run the equipment Under these circumstances we are now at $56,000 a day for each ACA patient. This particular event there were 9 of these. If they didn't evacuate them as a cost concern, they would have been subjected to sanctioning and the media showing that the poor don't get proper medical care because they are poor. So its a given that these children will be evacuated. No discussion to it.

Now lets get back to mom. She gets treated for the symptoms of drug withdrawals and is now introduced to the social support system to help insure the baby has a good start in life. At no time are the care providers allowed to counsel her on drug use, or child conception education. If they suggest birth control and she turns it down, that is the end of what the ACA allows them to do. Mom is sent home. Baby comes home after release of the NICU as a reasonable healthy baby going into an at risk home. So the ACA has now spent over $500K on Patient A and her child. But mom will be bringing that baby back for ongoing care because like any Premmie they have risk to manage. So figure they are in the system for about 2 years after they started life there.

This is in a city with a population of 190,000. This or a similar scenario happens about once a month, sometimes twice. This is just ONE aspect I am sharing. Take this example and move it to St Louis or Detroit or Seattle or New York and multiply the dollar signs accordingly.

In my state, which is no where near a 30 % drug addiction rate, the out of pocket health care premiums have risen over 200% per family member in the last 2 years. That means some employed hard working people are coming up with over 25K a year in healthcare premiums. 25K a year pays a kid college tuition they now can't afford. No way in hell will my g/f or myself tell them the story of Patient A who doesn't pay a cent into the system.

So my liberal friend. In my world, I'd prefer to have private insurance, that decides who they wish to cover based on the risk they represent and decide how to keep overall health care cost down for me. And I don't mind if they make a profit doing so. Before I am forced to pay for 23,000 examples of patient A above. The problem we all have is that if they have no healthcare, then Patient A simply comes to the emergency room, and they will be treated. Never for a minute planning on paying the bill for it. So that gets passed down to the rest of us in the form of taxes. The lesser of 2 evils I guess. But it all sucks when we have a proliferation of Patient A's

There are several programs that offer young doctors the ability to get some of the debt paid off for work provided. Some take advantage of them. Most don't. If you really want to get serious about it, the government could force them to join the military of the Peace Corp or etc for a period of time and in addition to the pay, the debt would be forgiven as part of the compensation. Nobody wants the government to force anyone to do anything, so by God make them pay the debt they have rather than biotch about it. The last time I remember talking about this topic was at a graduation ceremony. As I congratulated the new young doctor I asked him and his parents how they felt about it. The parents said, finally we don't have any more bills for him and he said, now I gotta figure out how to pay my debt off. I asked my g/f if that was a joke. She said no, the average debt payment for an MD coming out of their school is 4K a month with the average owed of 300K. If they go into a specialty multiply that. The joke passed around is MD stands for MORE DEBT!

The last thing they need to hear is Oh by the way your fee for service is going down now to make healthcare more affordable for all of America. So there is another incentive. Stop paying them less. Unless you bring their cost down. No part of the ACA does the second part.

Its not as simple as that. Medicare does less administration than the insurance companies do. They instead push it down to the caregivers, while additionally driving down the rates the caregivers can get for the service. They get 10% for doing pretty much NOTHING but publish schedules, process incoming patient eligibility and processing payments. There is a reason doctors have figured out how to rip of Medicare for millions. They don't have anyone that is watching out for fraud. LIKE THE INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE! How many stories do you hear about a doctor or a patient ripping off the insurance company for millions? Now how many stories do you hear about Drs and patients ripping off Medicare?

Like I said before, the only way we can get a handle on our healthcare cost is to take the profit out of it. Not gonna hold my breath on that one.

On the surface no doctor doesn't love what the intent of the ACA wants to do in principle. Provide healthcare to all. No physician is against that notion. But the reality of the ACA has meant that small individual practices that aren't super specialties face insolvency with the present trajectory the ACA sends them on.

To survive you have to build a large practice that incorporates specialties that are still profitable at least today. The problem is if you build a practice on that model and the ACA decides to cut the incentive/income of the specialties, then you become insolvent on a larger scale.

My g/f makes less money now than she ever did in private practice. She knew from a kid she wanted to be a doctor. She never saw herself doing anything else. The money part was not the reason why. She saw the ACAs trajectory and sold her practice while there was still a market for it. She thanks her medical GOD that she managed to pay off her student debt before that happened. Otherwise the sale proceeds would have been pretty much to pay off her debt.

So she now teaches at a Medical University. That combines patient care with teaching. Pretty much the entire patient load is ACA recipients. Its a requirement that the university hospital takes them since they receive federal funding as a teaching facility. The staff don't get a say in the matter.

Before the ACA came along, Person A, a 16 year old drug addicted girl gets pregnant and miscarries the baby at say 40 weeks. Medically speaking we are at the end of the story.

Now lets show what the ACA has done. Patient A a 16 year drug addicted girl comes in with complications from a drug related pregnancy. At 35 weeks this time. They determine the baby can be saved by implementing the advanced technology of the Neo Natal Intensive Care procedures used there. So the baby is born pre-maturely. And placed in the NICU. This cost is approx 4K for the ACA portion per day. Further we are now paying for medical care of a 16 year old who is now having complications from drug withdrawals. So she is in treatment for that. Now I'm going to throw in another one. This really actually happened. So now as it happens, a hurricane is bearing down on us. An evacuation is ordered for at risk patients. This is all the babies in the NICU and all the staff needed to run the equipment Under these circumstances we are now at $56,000 a day for each ACA patient. This particular event there were 9 of these. If they didn't evacuate them as a cost concern, they would have been subjected to sanctioning and the media showing that the poor don't get proper medical care because they are poor. So its a given that these children will be evacuated. No discussion to it.

Now lets get back to mom. She gets treated for the symptoms of drug withdrawals and is now introduced to the social support system to help insure the baby has a good start in life. At no time are the care providers allowed to counsel her on drug use, or child conception education. If they suggest birth control and she turns it down, that is the end of what the ACA allows them to do. Mom is sent home. Baby comes home after release of the NICU as a reasonable healthy baby going into an at risk home. So the ACA has now spent over $500K on Patient A and her child. But mom will be bringing that baby back for ongoing care because like any Premmie they have risk to manage. So figure they are in the system for about 2 years after they started life there.

This is in a city with a population of 190,000. This or a similar scenario happens about once a month, sometimes twice. This is just ONE aspect I am sharing. Take this example and move it to St Louis or Detroit or Seattle or New York and multiply the dollar signs accordingly.

In my state, which is no where near a 30 % drug addiction rate, the out of pocket health care premiums have risen over 200% per family member in the last 2 years. That means some employed hard working people are coming up with over 25K a year in healthcare premiums. 25K a year pays a kid college tuition they now can't afford. No way in hell will my g/f or myself tell them the story of Patient A who doesn't pay a cent into the system.

So my liberal friend. In my world, I'd prefer to have private insurance, that decides who they wish to cover based on the risk they represent and decide how to keep overall health care cost down for me. And I don't mind if they make a profit doing so. Before I am forced to pay for 23,000 examples of patient A above. The problem we all have is that if they have no healthcare, then Patient A simply comes to the emergency room, and they will be treated. Never for a minute planning on paying the bill for it. So that gets passed down to the rest of us in the form of taxes. The lesser of 2 evils I guess. But it all sucks when we have a proliferation of Patient A's

There are several programs that offer young doctors the ability to get some of the debt paid off for work provided. Some take advantage of them. Most don't. If you really want to get serious about it, the government could force them to join the military of the Peace Corp or etc for a period of time and in addition to the pay, the debt would be forgiven as part of the compensation. Nobody wants the government to force anyone to do anything, so by God make them pay the debt they have rather than biotch about it. The last time I remember talking about this topic was at a graduation ceremony. As I congratulated the new young doctor I asked him and his parents how they felt about it. The parents said, finally we don't have any more bills for him and he said, now I gotta figure out how to pay my debt off. I asked my g/f if that was a joke. She said no, the average debt payment for an MD coming out of their school is 4K a month with the average owed of 300K. If they go into a specialty multiply that. The joke passed around is MD stands for MORE DEBT!

The last thing they need to hear is Oh by the way your fee for service is going down now to make healthcare more affordable for all of America. So there is another incentive. Stop paying them less. Unless you bring their cost down. No part of the ACA does the second part.
cry me a river.... doctors with debt..... lol

Cuba has an amazing healthcare system actually. My current doctor is Cuban, came here on a boat. Good thing we didn't build a wall along the Florida coast.....
I'm in the process of going out of country to get dental implants. Even AFTER my dental insurance pays its portion, its still cheaper to go out of country to get it done. Educated in America. Use the exact same technologies, for a third the cost. Speak English. Spend a week on the beach and get treated far better. Going down now for round one and 6 months later (Christmas break) to have them finish it. Save 2K.

Stupid America.

I first learned about medical vacations about 10 years ago when my my best friend needed to get a hip replaced. We went to Argentina for it. They were ahead of America in technology, skill ,and technique. Robotic hip replacement we hadn't even started yet at that time. They picked us at at the airport, took us to the apartment. Introduced us to the housekeeper. Took him to the doctor. Who showed up exactly on time. He was in surgery the next morning. Walking his first steps that afternoon and was sent home on the beginning of day 3. with the instructions of I will come to check on you in 2 days. 9AM.

2 days from then was a Saturday. I thought the doc just made a mistake he didn't really mean Saturday.

Saturday at 9AM the doc is at the door. In a business suit and his black bag. Checked him over for about 20 mins. And said. Your next appt to see me is in 3 days. I expect you to walk into my office for it.

3 days later he did. 7 days from start to finish. He saved 20K. We were treated like royalty. I was woke at that point!

P.S. One of my favorite stories there. The doc looked at me during the first visit. He said you will be here for 7 days. If you have any needs for a woman I will send you to the best place.

I'm like....HUH??!!? Prostitution was totally legal and like Vegas all the girls are guaranteed clean. Like $60 at the time. Like I said.....I got woke!!!

Back