Had enough Ford. Gonna Sue Ya!

TallTom

Registered
A few months back I posted here a light hearted recap of a spark plug change on my 2006 F-150 5.4 Triton with 78K on it. Something Ford wanted to charge me $750 to do. It was PITA, took all weekend, but it was accomplished. It should have never had to have been done in that manner but I was making light of a crappy design in that post. 1,000 miles and running great. Until 2 weeks ago.

I was starting to pick up a miss, with no CEL. My OBD II reader showed it as a No. 8 random miss fire. So my logical thought based on the fail rates experienced was a coil pack. No problem. Tomorrow I will swap them and make sure the problem moves. Pretty easy job all in all. So the next morning I do that. Go to start the engine and the engine gives me a quarter second of movement, kicks a click and then kicks back slightly. Then nothing. Felt like a dead battery. Which was odd because I has just replaced it about 8 months ago. So I just figured, cold snap, bad battery, a bad luck event.

Pull the battery, checks good at battery shop. Hmmmmm. Must be a bad connection I guess. Cleaned everything and put it back together. Started it up to hear a distinct and obvious but light knock now. WTH. Shut it down, searched for anything obvious. Nothing. Had it towed to a shop. A week into the repairs. Get a call...."You need to come down here and see this". That never gives you a sense of comfort. Go down to the shop. Front engine torn down, pan is off. "Look up at No. 8 piston. See that shiny spot?" Yes. "OK now look here on the crank, see that rub spot there?" Yes. The bottom of the piston is kissing the crank counterweight right there. I can't deny what I am looking at. OK so what caused that. We ponder it a bit. I said, look the only way that can happen is for the distance between the two to be wrong. Mechanically these things don't just touch for no reason. The piston must be bad or something. Which doesn't make sense but we have what we have.

Ok guys pull it down, lets see what we got. They called me back and said Come see again. So the head was now off. No interference between valves and piston took place. "What do you want us to do next?" Go ahead and pull the piston and rod out. Something isn't right somewhere. I stay there to observe. Pulled No. 8 Rod/Piston and it was clearly a bent rod. What in the PHU**** is going on here!!! Pull up the internet research. Googled in 2006 F-150 bent rods and Bingo, lots of them. Even more in 2005 and some in 2004. Turns out Ford recalled the entire 2005 year of this engine because of faulty Fuel Injectors sticking open. Actually it wasn't a recall, it was deemed a customer satisfaction program. Checked the affected vehicles. Mine was produced one week after the last VIN ID was specified.

Called Ford. Sorry not covered. Yours is a 2006 and not affected. Great news!!! Researched affected Fuel Injectors. List the part numbers, and lot numbers of these fuel injectors. Research that and found that in late 2004, all through 2005 and early 2006 they used the same source vendor and same lot number sequencing from the tail end of 2004 through early 2006. Then they changed sources. Yet Ford only recalled the 2005 model year since that was in the 10s of thousands affected vs the few thousand of 2004 and 2006 years. For the 2005 Model year recall, they are warranted against this for 112K miles or 11 years whichever comes first. Including engine replacement if damage occurred. Called Ford again. Explained all of that. Was told to pound sand.

Here is the failure mode of these injectors. They fail to the open position, at first they just stay open longer than they should but eventually just fail and are in the open position only. So, if we turn off the engine, and the injector is failed open, it will drain the fuel line full of fuel (under pressure) down into that intake path. In this case No. 8. So this is about 50CCs of liquid in total. If when you stop the engine the intake valve is closed, that fuel stays blocked behind the valve in the intake run of the manifold and head. The next time you start it, the piston will travel down on the intake stroke, filling the cylinder. The valves will both be closed entering into compression stroke. The piston will then travel up as normal and be unable to compress the liquid which is now trapped in the cylinder with no place to go. The starter, does its best, and forces that piston into an im-moveble mass of liquid with enough force that the rod gets bent. Also known as Hyrdo Lock.

No longer a lighthearted mood here. See ya in court Ford.

ya them damn 2004 - 2006 motors ford put in in those trucks suck...had a 2006 king ranch went through the same thing blew motor said screw it.

Always a hard fight to win, but sounds like you've got more than sufficient evidence to make some heads turn your way.

Good luck!

Are you calling the dealer or are you calling Ford, Call Ford and explain the problem and proof of parts, and Pro date of truck they may help you out.

You may also want to reach out to Crystal under user name "FordService" on the dieselstop forum.

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

I know you're talking about a gasser, but she is a tremendous help being a liaison between Ford and their owners when problems arise.

I've seen people contact Ford and literally give up after going through Hell, and then she'll get into the conversation and get things rolling with communication, worth a try.

You may also want to reach out to Crystal under user name "FordService" on the dieselstop forum.

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

I know you're talking about a gasser, but she is a tremendous help being a liaison between Ford and their owners when problems arise.

I've seen people contact Ford and literally give up after going through Hell, and then she'll get into the conversation and get things rolling with communication, worth a try.

Excellent help here. THANK YOU!!!!!

TallTomG....lol

Heard back from Crystal. So far she says she is only able to help new vehicles under standard warranty. Thanks for the assist though.

Maybe I should post this to that board. Since we know Ford is there looking at it.

Sometimes it does help to get a thread started and word out there of the issue. I've seen cases where the warranty has been closed out for a few months or a year and the customer has been shut down by Ford. They do however look at these threads and sometimes step in to help further. I've seen some cases where a 50% assistance might be offered when out of warranty. Of course there's no guarantee anything will happen.

Obviously recalls are part of the conversation and in your case is probably going to be your best bet if your VIN was that close to the problem VINs.

Hints:
Do not mention law suits or intentions other than attempting to open up the communication barriers
State your proof and information that you have available

Usually if Ford comes on and opens the lines of communication we see the thread die within a couple weeks or so. I believe that a confidentiality agreement is sometimes signed to eliminate further posting if help is provided...

Sometimes it takes a bit of doing and some time involved before things happen, but keep your fingers crossed that the right person will get involved.

Good luck!

When I was still a student, dirt poor, I purchased a new Toyota. Two years later it ended up with a crack in the engine block, for no apparent reason. First the dealer showed me the damage and scared the jeebers outa me, then they made me sit in the waiting room for four hours, while making phone calls. Finally, the salesmen came, took me by my hand, walked me to the back of the yard and showed me five different colors with the following words: "Pick the one you want, it is free, this one is on Toyota."

When I was still a student, dirt poor, I purchased a new Toyota. Two years later it ended up with a crack in the engine block, for no apparent reason. First the dealer showed me the damage and scared the jeebers outa me, then they made me sit in the waiting room for four hours, while making phone calls. Finally, the salesmen came, took me by my hand, walked me to the back of the yard and showed me five different colors with the following words: "Pick the one you want, it is free, this one is on Toyota."

That was back before they became the BIG BOYs. Times were different. Unfortunately. My first brand new car was a Toyota Celica GT. I paid $10,317 for it. 3 years before that, I thought that anyone that would pay $8K for a Toyota (any Toyota) was STUPID! I could probably still be driving that car today had I not gotten married and needed something more "practical".

If life was only that easy...

Try BBB. I've had some successes with BBB. Large companies don't want to mess up their ratings (i.e. increase complaints count and unresolved complaints count) on BBB, and suddenly become more willing to work with you. You have to find a corresponding state BBB, fill all the info, provide copies of documents, etc, but then it is the BBB who deals with the company, contacting you only on occasion to provide responses if necessary.

OK so an update is in order. I took all the info off the side of the fuel injectors. That, I'm not kidding, took a 30X magnifier to do. Did my due diligence and contacted Continental Automotive Systems (trust me that info didn't come easy), the manufacturer of the Fuel Injectors. That was a gold mine of information. That got me the build dates etc. of my injectors and the others exactly like them. The only difference is they stamp a higher Alpha sequence for each run, the part and its build remained identical. I in fact had 2 different lot numbers in my truck. Same part, just built at 2 different times like 2 weeks apart.

And put together my package to give corporate another chance at this. Got frustrated with the lack of progress and remembered I had a friend who was retired from Ford named Paul. Called Paul and told him my story. Tom let me see if I still know anybody there. Back to this in a second.

Meanwhile I pull a P0420 code on my truck. Bad Catalytic converter. To which Ford wants $1200 for. Of course they do. And no it won't be covered under warranty. As expected. Now back to our regularly scheduled post.

Paul calls me back and says please call XXXXXXXX Ford and talk to a Mr. XXXXXXXX. I am keeping these particulars quiet as they are in process and I don't want anyone to mess this up right now.

XXXXXX Ford is a family owned Ford Dealership, not a corporate owned one. This has become a key.

So I drive there. About an hour but I figured face to face was way better than any phone call. Hello Mr. XXXX, my name is Tom and I want to discuss a problem I am having. Dearborn suggested we talk at this point. That got his attention. He asked me to come to his office and he brought in one other person to sit and listen and they closed the door. I had my file in front of me. I started from scratch and told this story AND added that I have the parts drawings and lot numbers that were run out of Continental and know that its the same part. He stopped me and said "You don't need to tell me we have a problem I know we do". So I listened. He confirmed that Ford knows about this issue and he knows how to get this solved.

Then he says come with me. He takes me out to their service bay to a 2006 Ford King Ranch. Says prior to this coming to them it just had a brand new engine installed because of a rod knock. Another Ford dealer had installed a completely new Ford warrantied engine bought directly from Ford out of Texas. 100 miles after install, it seized again with the same issue. Exasperated by this, Ford corporate told us to make this right They, the dealer I am at here, have determined it was caused by a Hydro-Lock from a failed fuel injector. The previous dealer had not changed the injectors, because it was a 2006 therefore it was not covered blah blah balh. Ford has already approved this engine be replaced....AGAIN! Except this time it will be at Ford's cost, since it had a 100K mile warranty backed by Ford. The first engine was at the customers cost and the customer is into this for 6K and now has a 2nd failure.

Then he says, look if I can't get this solved by Ford's customer satisfaction budget this year, I may have to wait til Jan 1, to get next years budget. But I will be your advocate in this. Here is what I need from you. He took my repair bill, my tow receipts, my rental truck receipts and my call list with names and dates and case number. Then he adds, the P0420 fault is a direct result from this, (to which we had already agreed), so I will also ask that Ford replace the bad Cat. I asked him how comfortable he felt in this as I have no objection to taking this to court. His response, if I can't solve this, you should take it to court and I will testify there. Ford knows about this, we have been fighting them over this since 2004 and they absolutely are trying to keep this quiet. Then he added, I saw your file, you have done your work and I know that you get what has happened here. Ford won't typically find this type of customer and just assume they can make you go away.

I said OK...why are you trying to help when they won't? "Because we are a family owned operated and run business. Been that way for 70 years. Ford pisses us off with their corporate owned dealerships tainting our customers on a product we sell faithfully. We have been fighting their attempts to make our lives miserable because we are family owned. They are trying to buy out the family and make this a corporate dealership. We sell more trucks than any other dealership in the state of Alabama. So based on our sales, we get a certain amount of budget every year for customer satisfaction programs. My goal is to use every penny of it by years end. That is the only way they give us the same amount next year assuming we sell the same amount of vehicles. While I can't guarantee you that I can get this repair covered for you because we had absolutely nothing to do with it at all, I have never lost an attempt yet to get a customer satisfaction repair made and I have been here 32 years. If you would have brought it here at day one of your failure, I absolutely could have guaranteed that you be done at no charge by this point. In this case I will need to go to the owner here, explain the situation and get his approval as it is his budget to spend on his customers. And you aren't one of our customers. But we want to be able to sleep at night thinking that if you ever were going to buy a vehicle, we'd like it to be from us."

This meeting has been the first positive light I have seen in this entire screwed up deal here. AND it gives me further confirmation that the problem is known, and restores my faith that SOME people want to do right by a customer.

I am cautiously optimistic about this at least for now.

Will know more in about a week if it will happen on this years budget or wait til next year, Jan. 1.

That's great news! Glad to see someone is stepping up, and also confirming information that you already knew.

Back