Ford reports surprise $1 billion profit

shawnski

Donating Member
Registered
DEARBORN, Mich. - Ford, the only Detroit automaker to dodge direct government aid and bankruptcy court, surprised investors with net income of nearly $1 billion in the third quarter and forecast a "solidly profitable" 2011.

The automaker said Monday earnings were fueled by U.S. market share gains, cost cuts and the Cash for Clunkers program, which drew flocks of buyers to showrooms this summer. Ford's shares rose 68 cents, or 9.8 percent, to $7.68 in morning trading.

The latest results signal that Ford's turnaround is on more solid ground. The company lost more than $14.6 billion last year and hasn't posted a full-year profit since 2005. While it made a profit in the second quarter, that was mainly due to debt reductions that cut its interest payments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not surprised. Consumer confidence goes a long way towards profitability. Many wouldn't buy a car from a company on death's door so GM and Chrysler are out for most folks.

Not surprised, But being in automotivie I believe the profits are inflated due to the cash for clukers programs, There next quarter I'm sure they show a loss.

4th quarter won't be as good, but Ford is steadily gaining market share. They're also releasing vehicles that aren't horrible, which helps immensely too. The new Taurus, Fusion, and truck series are very well done. The new diesel should be exceptional, too.

found on road dead ... fixed offten rarely driven... but... they are the ONLY american car company that did not take money

Well, I'm not a huge fan of Ford but I've seen commercials for some of their new cars and I'm impressed. I like the new cap less gas tank that they put on some of their vehicles. They also have BLIS (which is great for us motorcyclist), adaptive cruise control, and collision warning with brake support which are typical features of high end cars like Mercedes.

I can't think of any feature I would want from a GM car nor do I remember the last time I saw a GM commercial which does say something about good advertising.

I think Ford is finally heading in the correct direction now. Hey, it only took them like 30 years or so to figure it out. :laugh:

Last edited:
No it isn't.

Lets not forget they laid off about 3000 people. No wonder they are showing greater return when you have 3000 less employees to pay.

Lots of companies had to cut corners to stay in the business, I don't think cutting 3,000 jobs netted them the gains they are showing. I'm sure the cash for clunkers program helped as well. 3,000 people even at 100k a piece is still only a 1/3 of that gain.

4th quarter won't be as good, but Ford is steadily gaining market share. They're also releasing vehicles that aren't horrible, which helps immensely too. The new Taurus, Fusion, and truck series are very well done. The new diesel should be exceptional, too.

bout time they made them better hopefully the generic interiors will be gone too. when I bought my dodge I looked at the ford trucks but they just weren't at all comfortable to sit in.

Not surprised. Consumer confidence goes a long way towards profitability. Many wouldn't buy a car from a company on death's door so GM and Chrysler are out for most folks.

+1 saw a chrysler dealer offereing a lifetime warranty on their cars.... lifetime... you mean the life car ??? or the life of the company.... which won't be to long now,:whistle:

Not Surpised here. I work at a small dealer in a small town in central PA. We ve never been a volume dealer many in town wonder how the dealership keeps going all these years. Since 1924 Family owned. Anyway c4c cleaned us out we had maybe 3 or 4 new cars left. After that we ordered cars we got a good stock back for us anyways. Guess what their still selling more than we ever have. Because mostly word of mouth c4c got Ford out there again. People always ask others about their new car and what they think about it. Good cars and happy people sell more cars. So I think Ford is coming back. MSN sad today that ford sedans are ahead of Honda and Toyota in consumer reports for 09. Just my observations I dont want an argument.

No it isn't.

Lets not forget they laid off about 3000 people. No wonder they are showing greater return when you have 3000 less employees to pay.

Better bankrupt and out of business? How many more people would be out of jobs then? Profitable companies hire employees.

We don't need Ford or GM. Can always buy Hondas and Toyotas. They are much better cars anyway.

Toyotas and Hondas are not better cars..........Don't forget who taught the Asians how to do it. Yea, we slacked for a good amount of time, but Ford is back, big time. Their cars are second to none.

Toyotas and Hondas are not better cars..........Don't forget who taught the Asians how to do it. Yea, we slacked for a good amount of time, but Ford is back, big time. Their cars are second to none.

Hey, I'm not the one pissin' and moanin' about them making a profit.

Back