HD "on the rocks"

RACER_X

Registered
Harley drops Buell line, income plummets
By Rick Barrett of the Journal Sentinel

Updated: Oct. 15, 2009 8:06 a.m.

enlarge photo

Michael Sears
Todd Raysby works in the Buell factory in East Troy building a Buell Ulysses model.
more photos
Michael Sears
Todd Raysby works in the Buell factory in East Troy building a Buell Ulysses model.
Close On Wall Street
Harley-Davidson stock tracker (HOG)
Harley-Davidson Inc. said Thursday it will discontinue its Buell motorcycle brand and divest its recently acquired MV Agusta lineup as part of the company's long-term business strategy.

The news that Harley was dropping two lineups came as the struggling manufacturer also said that its third-quarter income fell 84% to $26.5 million, or 11 cents a share, from $166.5 million, or 71 cents a share a year ago.

The company had $1.12 billion in sales in the quarter, down 21% from $1.42 billion in the third quarter of 2008. Worldwide motorcycle sales at Harley dealers fell 21% during the third quarter compared with the same period in 2008. The company said it shipped 27% fewer motorcycles in the quarter.

In a news release, Harley said it would discontinue its Buell brand, based in East Troy, and divest the Italian MV Agusta brand. The Buell decision will result in the loss of about 80 manufacturing jobs in East Troy and about 100 salaried positions.

"The fact is we must focus both our effort and our investment on the Harley-Davidson brand, as we believe this provides an optimal path to sustained, meaningful long-term growth," CEO Keith Wandell said in the release.

Harley, the world's largest manufacturer of heavyweight motorcycles, has been restructuring as it has sought to cope with weaker sales. The company has cut more than 1,000 jobs, implemented temporary production shutdowns, and is considering closing its assembly plant in York, Pa.

Even many die-hard Harley loyalists, caught by the severity of the economic downturn, haven't bought new bikes.

In July, the company trimmed its shipment forecast for this year to 212,000 to 228,000 bikes, as much as 30% fewer than in 2008. On Wednesday, Harley shares climbed to one of their highest levels in a year after Wells Fargo & Co. upgraded the stock, citing a possible increase in motorcycle shipments to dealers. A drop in motorcycle inventory this year should mean a "low single-digits" rise in shipments in 2010 and 2011, Tim Conder, an analyst at Wells Fargo Securities, wrote in a note to investors.

Conder changed the share rating to "outperform" from "market perform." "Investors are yet to fully appreciate" the potential shipment increase, benefits from cost cutting, profit from Harley's financial-services division and a possible resumption of share repurchases, Conder wrote.

Let's see what are they doing about their locations and billion dollar dealerships they require. Oh well............

look I dunno about all that stuff, I will say that 3-4 months ago their stock fell to just below $8/share. Today they are mid 20's. You coulda invested 8k then and paid for a tricked out brand new HD and paid the taxes in 4months. Regardless of anything else, they have been a good performer on wall street recently :thumbsup:

but they really would sell more if they were at least within 20% of the imports....god I just hope the imports don't get within 20% of the current HD sales prices :whistle:

look I dunno about all that stuff, I will say that 3-4 months ago their stock fell to just below $8/share. Today they are mid 20's. You coulda invested 8k then and paid for a tricked out brand new HD and paid the taxes in 4months. Regardless of anything else, they have been a good performer on wall street recently :thumbsup:

but they really would sell more if they were at least within 20% of the imports....god I just hope the imports don't get within 20% of the current HD sales prices :whistle:

Yeah, the Jap bike prices have already gone up, and who knows when or where it will end... Wasn't the Busa raised another 1k +/- on whatever remaining 08's were left ?? Not trying to start rumors, but I know someone posted the new prices here and it was a significant amount... Anyways, If we just completely stop buying american, we won't have to complain about how much it costs anymore, and all those unemployed american workers can just move to Japan or China to work there and live the good life !! :beerchug::whistle:

HD is not the only motorcycle manufacturer having to restructure. Our beloverd Suzuki has experienced sales declines approching 40% from last year. Same goes for Yamaha and Honda too. Honda suspended watercraft manufacturing a month or two ago, and may get out of the business . I read an article today in a dealer publication about HD, and it said they would concentrate a massive effort to establish a dealer network, and create sales in INDIA! Now I don't know about you, but do you think there are alot of people in India who are ready to throw out $20K on a HD? If something doesn't happen soon, there may be other manufacturers get out of the motorcycle business.

The Buell decision will result in the loss of about 80 manufacturing jobs in East Troy and about 100 salaried positions.

ding ding ding, when you have 100 salaried positions built on top of 80 people actually building the product, you aren't going to last very long in a bad economy...this isn't the only company starting to realize this won't work

ding ding ding, when you have 100 salaried positions built on top of 80 people actually building the product, you aren't going to last very long in a bad economy...this isn't the only company starting to realize this won't work

GM still has 2 salaried positions for every 3 hourly jobs and 165 Vice-Presidents-one for every 300 hourly workers.

These numbers are mis-leading. Looking at them from a STANDARD american business point of view, yes I see a problem. But SOME companies run differently. I know for a fact that when I was working in the foundry we had many people who were salary and worked on the floor as if they were a NORMAL hourly person. We were salary but we were not MANAGEMENT. We were production workers.
So don't let the numbers fool you.

These numbers are mis-leading. Looking at them from a STANDARD american business point of view, yes I see a problem. But SOME companies run differently. I know for a fact that when I was working in the foundry we had many people who were salary and worked on the floor as if they were a NORMAL hourly person. We were salary but we were not MANAGEMENT. We were production workers.
So don't let the numbers fool you.

In my company, field workers are salary as well, so I could see where that could make things look much different than they actually are..

Back