Had an early afternoon wake up call

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
So I am heading back from the coast on the Busa following my wife and family who are in the van.

We are pretty much just cruising, I am not speeding the entire way, just once in awhile on the way to the coast I would jump out ahead, hit a few corners, then pull off, wait for the family and pull up behind them.

On the way back pretty much the same. we get to where we and a few other cars are stuck behind a very slow moving car, well everyone waits until this passing lane comes up.

as soon as we hit the passing lane, this truck in front which is going slow also, passes the slower car, and stays in the far left, my wife is behind that truck, passes the car, then I pass the car, so now we have slow moving truck in the left lane that SHOULD have pulled over in the right and let my family pass, and he didn't. So I figure I am going to get out of this mess and give my wife room to do what she needs to. So I jump in the right lane and begin to pass, my wife doesn't see me and she moves into the right lane to pass. Well I am right next to her in her blind spot pushing me onto the shoulder of a 2 lane road and the shoulder is pretty much gravel, so I have two choices, hit the brakes real hard, or accelerate real hard. So I accelerate real hard

So I quickly launch out in front and keep accelerating to get away from the vehicles and give me wife room to pass this truck and within 3 seconds of passing I look up and there is a CHP car, already stopped, turning on lights and when I zoom past him he hits his siren.

I am like.. oh crap, so as soon as I get a chance I pull over, I am getting off my Busa by the time he pulls up. Wife passes other cars pass probably laughing at me.

As soon as he steps up he says "I clocked you at 107mph.. I just kind of looked at him, then he said, that was a sustained speed, you had a max speed I clocked you at of 115mph.

I am looking at him and I say "well, I was trying to pass this van and… " As I am saying this he is politely listening, not trying to interrupt or anything and then I said "never mind, you don’t need to hear any lame excuses. I screwed up that’s all there is to it"

So at this point I just shut my mouth, handed him my license. I couldn’t find my registration, I had left it at home.

So here I am, pegged for 115 passing on the shoulder with no registration.

The officer walks back to his unit, 20 seconds later he comes back, And says "

I have you for 107mph, anything over 100, we impound your bike, your license is automatically suspended, and a minimum $500 dollar fine. I am thinking I am soooo screwed..
He then hands me my license and looks and me and says "I hoped you learned your lesson" and he walks back to his car..

I am like…. Whhaaaat. I said "what? that’s it. no ticket?" and he said "nope, I just hoped you learned your lesson, most officers would have impounded your bike"

I am like "thank you sir" I didn’t know what else to say. The officer didn’t try to give me a lecture, he had me cold. I didn't know him he didn’t know me and I was no where near my home turf so he couldn’t have known anyone that knew me.

So after he leaves I get on my bike and the family had pulled over about 10 miles up the road, they figured I was going to jail. I pulled up and told them what happened and that I got cut some serious slack.

So the rest of the way I am like letting cars pass me, driving the speed limit.

My wife was tripping because she saw me letting cars pass me, and I was letting them get father away. When we got home I told her there was not way I was going to speed after getting cut slack like that, that would have been screwed up and like slapping the officer in the face.. I was not going to dishonor him in that way.

I look at this as a wake up call, warning, chastising from God telling me to knock my crap off for awhile.

So for all of you people that are always slamming police officers, this is just another example of why I defend them. He had me cold, and he was cool as hell. He could have taken me to jail, impounded my bike, took my license, and I could have got fine a minimum of $500.00 and there wouldn’t be anything I could say about it.

And to all you police officers out there, especially the ones that give warnings like I got. Thank you.. I know warnings don’t work all the time, and some people have no honor and do not respect it when they are given a warning; they just think they got away with something.

But there are some like myself that heed those warnings, appreciate the wake up call and would feel it less than honorable to not respect the warning and adhere to it.

So for me, I will not say I will never speed on roads again. But I will say it will be awhile. Probably a long while. I think I have been pushing the envelope too much lately, probably time to just cruise for awhile..

And again, to all of you officers that do like this officer did dealing with me today.. thanks. Thanks really doesn't seem enough considering what it could have cost me. But thanks and I took the hint is what I can offer.

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091941616 -->

You lucked out man, hope I get a break like that when I need it
biggrin.gif

Nice bro, that was cool of that cop. It's nice to hear the good stories now and again.

Good deal...Everybody needs a break sometimes...I was just talking with a friend the other day about cooling the riding style down...

Forgot...Tell your wife we're glad she didn't run over you...
biggrin.gif

Forgot...Tell your wife we're glad she didn't run over you...
biggrin.gif
Thanks.. I will.. but she will read it herself..

She is a board stalker, she reads this board more than I do lol.. I keep telling her to get her own account, but I think she has this voyeur problems lol

Heck, she is the one that told me about Hayabusa.org

As soon as she knew I was getting the Busa she was searching the internet for Busa stuff.

Yeah, the whole thing was my fault. I am the one who invisible. Made a poor decision based on poor judgment and by the grace of God it didn’t all turn to crap.

Yep, I think I got this years "riding like an idiot" out of my system, time to cruise for the rest of the summer, then moth ball her for the Winter and try it all over again beginning next summer lol

What I need is a track.. I checked out Laguna Seca and I could find crap for information on how I can get on the track.

Is there anyone out there that can give me info? I want to know what tracks I can go to and what I can expect to have to pay to use the track. And what I have to do to my bike.

I have already mentioned this to family members that I am getting tired of screwing around on the streets, I want to start getting some track time in so I can feed my need there on the track. And keep cool on the streets.

Can anyone give me some info about tracks here in Cali?

If I don’t get any good responses here in the next week I will start a separate thread.

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091974427 -->

Wait a minute...What's this moth ball for the winter crap...You do live in CA right???You guys don't have a winter it's like fall to spring...
rock.gif

hee hee hee [inbred grin] TRACK DAY TRACK DAY!!! eh heh heh he he he he

It's nice to know there remains reasonable folk out there who will deal with the situation that's presented and respond accordingly...we all need those "wake up calls" from time to
time...
Ride safe...

Glad there was harm from this situation. Besides the cop it had the makings of something much more severe! I agree that many just think a warning is a "they didn't get me this time" kind of thing, but is really more a sign of knowing your surroundings and taking the right precautions. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get out of a situation, but . . . I wish I had my 'Busa over here. Speed limit is 120 kph, but not really enforced. Bikers here do some wild and crazy stuff! Amazed there aren't more injuries because people just don't pay attention sometimes.

COPS SUCK!!!! What a lazy bastard.....he should have done his job and givin you a ticket!!!! He-he-he!
tounge.gif
Just kiddin', I wish I had that kind of luck.

Good deal. Also shows all of those cop haters that Cops are people too.

wow.gif

Back