Had a great ride today...

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Today was warm and sunny, we got temps about 70 and low wind. I met uncle steve at his house and we headed out for Stroud Oklahoma to the Rock Cafe (not the hard rock).

rock.jpg

We met up with Ward and had a great lunch but it was too early to stop. All 3 of us loaded up and headed out for a ride. We decided to head up to Hallett and check on the track and to see the owners. As we pulled into Hallett the gate was shut but we could hear something on the back side of the track, we didn't have to wait very long and a viper and porche came rolling around turn 10 where we were at... We watched a Honda NSX, viper, porche and a full motor car racing around the track... To tell you how fast these guys are we timed laps and our very own Macon454 runs 1:21's on his GSXR1000 in the race group and these cars were turning 1:29's

track1.jpg

car.jpg

We called and the owner came to the gate and got us to the infield. We spent about an hour at the shop where they build and repair all sorts of race cars and bikes...

garage.jpg

They have an ariel Atom there for sale for 145,000 if anyone is interested..
ariel.jpg

We started home and Ward peeled off and headed to Tulsa and Steve and I split in OKC. I got home and decided to start cleaning the bike for the all day ride we had planned for tomorrow. I put the bike up on the stands to clean and lube the chain and the very first thing I saw facing right to me was a nail in my tire. I pulled it out and called uncle steve and cancelled tomorrows ride, honestly I think he was glad I cancelled. If he is anywhere near as sore as I am then another day ride would have been rough.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

There is no way I can get tires mounted and on the bike in time for any good riding tomorrow so I guess I will have to just sit on the porch and wait for the snow next week. In the end what a blessing it was to have ridden all day long and to find the nail not only when I did but while I was in my own garage. That could have sucked being on top of Mt Scott with a flat tire on a Sat afternoon....

rock.jpg

track1.jpg

car.jpg

garage.jpg

ariel.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Doug, I would plug that.... There is plenty of wear left on that tire, just don't ride aggressively. I have plugged worse and wore the tire out.

Glad you had a good day Cap. Looks like a good time for sure. Even with the nail in the tire....I bet it outlived the Metzlers?:poke:

Doug, I would plug that.... There is plenty of wear left on that tire, just don't ride aggressively. I have plugged worse and wore the tire out.

It isn't worth the risk... It just takes one ROMP at the wrong time to throw a plug... or have some other problem... I will probably get it to Hal to put in the hospital in case of an emergency...

I bet it was cool to watch some cars go around it, I would like to see that some time. Glad the nail didnt cause any problems.

glad you guys had a good time and you caught the nail when you did...like i told you earlier, i still hate you just a little bit as i look out my front door at the snow and ice! :laugh:

Great pics of an awesome day Cap, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup: The "tire gods" were definitely smiling on you, the right place to pull it that is for sure!!:poke:
Have a happy day on the porch!!

Not to be mean but im glad im not the only one with the evil nail gremlin after me:poke:. I got a nail in my stock tire 6 weeks after getting my busa. The 750 miles later another one. Put another new tire on and sure as the day is long I got another one 1500 miles later. I have 4000 miles on my 08 and have yet to wear a tire out. In all my years I have never had a nail until this bike. I put a Battalax BT 003 on it the last time (let the guy at the shop talk me into it) they swore it was "the tire to have" what a piece of crap..its like ice when cold and I can't take turns very aggressive cuz I can feel it pushing out on me. It still has 75% of its tread life but after a few moths of wishing for another nail (that never came) today is the day. I've got my wheels off and I'm getting a set of road poilt 2's put on. New shoes for my baby, hopefuly I can actully get my moneys worth out of them and wear these bad boys out. Getting the front put on too.

Not to be mean but im glad im not the only one with the evil nail gremlin after me:poke:. I got a nail in my stock tire 6 weeks after getting my busa. The 750 miles later another one. Put another new tire on and sure as the day is long I got another one 1500 miles later. I have 4000 miles on my 08 and have yet to wear a tire out. In all my years I have never had a nail until this bike. I put a Battalax BT 003 on it the last time (let the guy at the shop talk me into it) they swore it was "the tire to have" what a piece of crap..its like ice when cold and I can't take turns very aggressive cuz I can feel it pushing out on me. It still has 75% of its tread life but after a few moths of wishing for another nail (that never came) today is the day. I've got my wheels off and I'm getting a set of road poilt 2's put on. New shoes for my baby, hopefuly I can actully get my moneys worth out of them and wear these bad boys out. Getting the front put on too.
I wish I could get 4000 miles out of my back tire. My stock one only lasted me about 1400, had to change it at the spring bash in 09.

BT003's are a GREAT track tire very agressive when heated, but not worth much on a cold day on a regular road. Low mileage tire.

At least you had ONE good day Doug, I'm still waiting for one of those :)

I wish I could get 4000 miles out of my back tire. My stock one only lasted me about 1400, had to change it at the spring bash in 09.

quit doing burnouts trying to get Ms. Reba's attention, you know no one can hold a candle to Noodles :poke:

:rofl:

I didn't get 4000 miles out of the tire...I have 4000 miles on my bike and this is the 4th rear tire in 4000 miles. I hope I can log more miles this year. I crushed my pelvis in a wreck in 07 so I can only ride for a few hours in a whack which makes long rides a no-no for me. My wife works weekends and I’m on daddy duty which means to and from work and after work rides only. Plus until recently (i should be all done now) I was having 2-3 surgeries a year putting the finishing touches on me. Each time would keep me off my bike for a few months. I never logged massive miles but I usually put about 7500-9000 miles a year. I have had my 08 Busa since May of 09' so I behind the 8ball with 4025 miles. The BT 003 still has 75% of its life on it. I guess I will post it up for anyone who wants a free track tire.

Other than the nail in the tire, it sure looks like a great ride, Cap. Lets us ice-bound northerners enjoy a little vicarious two-wheeled fun!

There's nothing like the first ride of the year. Glad you had a good time.

Back