H.I.D. Question

mrnyc01

Registered
Hey Guys... Ok I wont bore you with a long story but I just need second opinions...

I installed a amp/speakers on my bike. Everything works fine. Shortly after the install, I noticed my HID's flicker. Long as I am moving they are fine. When I stop for a light or my rpms slow down to idle speed, my hid shut off. When I rev it up to pull off, they come back on. In some instances, they were off at a red light and before I pulled off, they came back on. So I thought, maybe my radio install was the problem. Maybe the amp was pulling too much power that affected the HID. So I unpluged the amp from it's power source. Rode the bike to work this morning and the same thing is happening. So it cant be the amp. Could it be that I just need a new ballast. It's obvious that the engine needs to be at cruising speed for the HID's to get enough power to work.

BTW - Probably a moot point but...the amp poer was wired to the tail light hot wire. That way when I turn the bike off, the amp will go off also. The ground is to the frame.

I hope the 12vdc from your tail light supply is just used as a signal to a relay.

Hey...

Not sure what you mean.. I just wired the hot wire from the amp to a hot wire in my tail light. Also I have intergrated T/L's. But again.. since I unplugged the amp and the problem is still there... the amp should not be the issue.

Normally amps have a hot wire and remote lead. The hot wire needs to be on a circuit that can handle the full load of the amp, and the remote is just used to turn it off and on.

If it doesn't have a remote lead you need to use a relay to isolate the circuit from your lighting circuit.

If the problem happened after you changed something (IE installed a stereo) you most likely did something during your install to cause the problem. Check all the connections on the HID kit for high resistance. A bad connection is like a kink in a hose, water still get through but non enough to wash your car with.

Normally amps have a hot wire and remote lead. The hot wire needs to be on a circuit that can handle the full load of the amp, and the remote is just used to turn it off and on.

If it doesn't have a remote lead you need to use a relay to isolate the circuit from your lighting circuit.

If the problem happened after you changed something (IE installed a stereo) you most likely did something during your install to cause the problem. Check all the connections on the HID kit for high resistance. A bad connection is like a kink in a hose, water still get through but non enough to wash your car with.

Ok still trying to wrap my mind around it.

As I said before..I unplugged the stereo. So now it's like it does not exist. The only wires connected to bike was grnd and power. Power went through tail light.. no where near HID. What I think you are saying is that it is make some type of draw but with it all disconnected.. it should not matter at this point..right? Also.. on my way home the light does shut off when I slow down to a stop. But I noticed (by looking at the reflection from the car in front of me) that if I am sitting there idling it will just pop back on... without me rev'ing it up. So I believe it's staying on while riding. clicking off while slowing and at some point it will just pop back on.

Agree amp doesnt seem to be the problem. Sounds more like a low/insufficient voltage. Check you regulator, your voltage sounds to be dropping too low at idle and hids will usually be first to shut off at that point. Been thrugh same situation on our 929.

On old Suzukis one of the legs of the stator was for the lighting only, and that leg was shut off when the lights were turned off. This was due to the regulator they used at the time not being to handle the extra current.

Anyways, that has nothing to do with your problem. Just felt like putting that put there... I would check charging voltage and the connections for the HID.

My earlier post was just to help you realize that you may have disturbed something during your install. I've done it in the past myself. Maybe you installed speakers in the dash area and bumped a connection near the lights? Do you have HID kits for both the low and high?

I just put a new VR on there. When I get home I will put it on the meter and see what it's putting out @ 5000rpm...if it's within specs..I guess it could be the ballast going bad?

On old Suzukis one of the legs of the stator was for the lighting only, and that leg was shut off when the lights were turned off. This was due to the regulator they used at the time not being to handle the extra current.

Anyways, that has nothing to do with your problem. Just felt like putting that put there... I would check charging voltage and the connections for the HID.

My earlier post was just to help you realize that you may have disturbed something during your install. I've done it in the past myself. Maybe you installed speakers in the dash area and bumped a connection near the lights? Do you have HID kits for both the low and high?

I mounted the speakers on my triple tree riser..no where near any wires for the headlights. And I only have HID on the low.

UPDATE**************************

Hey guys... I really hate when people post problems out here and most of the time they never post how they fixed it. I didn't want to do that.. so to give you an update:

I bought another ballast on Sat.. installed it and it fixed the problem. I connected my radio back up and everything works fine. So the problem was the ballast. This time I got the 2 yr warranty... if it goes out.. I will get another free. The place I bought it is local.

Back