H.I.D headlights

bobber

Registered
Ive read and seen alot of guys complaining about after the H.I.D headlight install , that they experience when they slow down , their headlamps dim and when they speed up, they get brighter,,,My bike has a good chargeing system With factory headlamps,but when I ride at nite with the high beam on,,It doesnt get brighter as I increaae speed[throttle up the rpm's] but when I slow down to a crawl to make a turn and touch the brakes ,then the high beamwill dim until I throttle up and or let off the brake,,,,,so my therory is this,,they promote that even tho theH.I.D lights are brighter,,they use less amps and draw less ,,,,The kit comes with a balis..which could [like a flourscent bulb] draw less amps,,,,but after all the complaints and worries of the guys im listen too,,I am in doubt that this is the case,,{ my own personal opinion only,,,,,,,I think they draw alot more than they advertise,,,,,thats not saying they are a bad choice,,and I would like to have a brighter headlamp too,,,but it has alot of guys thinking something else is wrong with their bikes,,,I think they draw more amps than advertised,,,,,the downside is this,,beings that the headlamps run on all the time,,its more load on the statter,which might prematurelingly make it go out,,ive seen bikes look like christmas tree's,with all the light add ons they have put on,,so maybe it wont overload the statter,,,but its something to ponder on, and a relief to the guys asking about the dimming problem when letting off the throttle,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
I have not had any issues either, but I did install a switch on the low voltage side so I can start the bike and then turn it on. It helps too when you tape up the headlight for the track, you dont have to worry about melting tape to the housing.

been running them for 2 or 3 weeks now..
only advice DO NOT TRUST THE STICKY(crappy) TAPE.

it doesnt stick... for long.

been running them for 2 or 3 weeks now..
only advice DO NOT TRUST THE STICKY(crappy) TAPE.

it doesnt stick... for long.

Use the tape combined with 2 zip ties on the intake tube, it wont move then.

good advice fellas,,,about the tape and the low voltage switch,,I hope the several guys that spoke about this on the board read what you all said,,,,,I;d love to at least get a low beam,,but then again,,a L/H combo with a switch would be sweet,,,,,Ive seen alot of harleys with so many lghts on them like a 18 wheeler,,,so maybe it wont hurt nothing,,a couple of those guys were thinking they had[ not that they dont] other issures and it wasnt the light kit,,but they said it started right after the install,,so i was just doing the math,, Plus,, the ballas may be bad from factory,,If other guys arent haveing this issue with the same kit,,,yjey couldalways run a test on their bike to see what amps/volts its pulling verses a factory bike too,,,,,,,,the statter on bikes are pretty decent and lord only knows we all have alot of mode hooked up..When talking to another tech he told me when I hooked up my Nos system and was worried about the amps and blowing a fuse,,he told me to put a 30 in and to run it by itself to a hot surse and not to piggyback it into something else,,,,,,I know,you gotta be carefull when doing so,,but ,man,,that solonoid draws alot when you spray { I opted for the horn button },,good thing I am at WOT when spraying,,,,,I need that statter spinning as fast as possible to keep up with the demand LOL,,,,,,,,,hope this helps,,,and thanks for your feed back,,,,,,P.S,,,talk about markup,,a altenator for a 350 v8 older model,is about 25 bucks and 35 for lifetime warranty,at autozone[ Im not talking about the new cars that are fully loaded with 130-plus amp alt,,,,im talking about a standard 56 amp,,,,,,,,but for a bike the last one i priced for a 750cc 10 yrs ago was 350 bucks and it was the size of a small tube of biscuits ,,,LOL

Last edited:
Use the tape combined with 2 zip ties on the intake tube, it wont move then.

thats what i WANT to do.

but how do i remove the nose piece if the HID's are tethered to the bike?

cause right now. my set up comes off the bike WITH the nose piece like stock. unplug factory harness remove nose piece.

well actually right now my bike is sitting in garrage with the ballast and the other box hanging from the farring because i havent had time to tie them up..

Well I can say that I enjoy mine and I could not imagine going back to a stock bulb set up. I feel better knowing that at night, I can see.

Back