Guys (and gals) I gots to know...

oZo

Registered
I understand that leather is the optimum safety material available. But just for sh*ts and giggles would a pant like this save my skin in a slide? I would be okay if I had to throw them away and purchase a new pair afterwards. Click link.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.as....sion=1#

FYI, I will be wearing a helmet, gloves, boots and jacket, which leads me to the next question. Would a jacket such as this save my skin as well? Click link.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.as....ision=1

Thanks for all your input, especially those who have experienced higher speed crashes/slides.

Mesh jacket should be fine, but I wouldn't trust those pants. Better than jeans I guess, but there are many better options out there. Joe Rocket has some textile and mesh products that can't be beat. Fieldsheer has some decent stuff also.

IMO, Chris

I am really looking for pants and such that are not black. Wearing black in the FL sun is like wearing a frying pan.

might be alright but the impact is somthing to address doesnt look like they have any armor
wink.gif

Jacket looks ok to me... but i really cant say anything about those pants

I would say those pants are a step up from jeans.. considering they have added protection on the knees. A lot of people we ride with wear those Icon jeans.. they have extra thickness on the knees and hips.

::Shrug:: dunno

<!--EDIT|TheKatsMeow
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123417293 -->

i use those pants.
but i use a leather jacket.
i have not gone down in the pants so i dont know if they will hold, its mch thicker than jeans, and i have gone down in jeans at 40mph and they didnt wear through...leather is the best no question about it. i guess it depends what kind of riding you will be doing, for the track or twisties, i wouldnt use anything but leather, just for around ton i think the icon pants will be fine...

Went down in a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, will save skin if not stupid fast. Pants not to sure about it.

I know quite a few people around here that wear basically that same jacket, it will do OK at moderate (around town) speeds but don't expect much more than that. By far better than just wearing a wife-beater though.

Pants, I really have no idea.

I think Sageronin wears those pants.... or something similar. I have JR mesh and textile pants/jacket, figure they are good protection, better than jeans (which I normally have under the textile pants) and would be good for one slide. Hear good things about the draggin jeans, think those icons are supposed to be the same.

basically, lower speed lay downs these types of things will probably hold up for one slide..... otherwise you'll want to invest in some leathers, perferated or solid
cool.gif

The SuperDuties are a little better than jeans. Might want to get some Draggin Jeans instead. Kevlar reinforced, good stuff.

Otherwise quality leather is worthwhile above 100MPH not much else is going to hold up as well.

Good Quality Leather all the way or Kangaroo (If ya can afford it). I guess I look at it this way, if I question the quality of the product from a safey point of view, than it is not enough protection. Some people may think Im frickin strange for wearing my Leathers and helmet all the time, but guess what...it aint their @ss that's gonna be hitting the pavement, its mine.

Be sure to really take your time in selecting good gear. Don't cheap out, you will kick yourself in the long run, becuase you wasted money on inferior protection. Have I worn, or do I wear jeans on occasion...yup, and ya know something, I know from past experience that Im in the "DEEP" if the unexpected becomes reality.

If your looking for quality jean type material the Draggin Jeans are ok, but heres another option Go get yourself some Heavy weight Carpenter pants made from Carhardt. They allow you to put knee pads in there , so you can give yourself some added protection. The material is very heavy weigh, and is about as abbrasion resistant as you can get in a cloth material. They cost about $40.00, come in different colors, or you could dye them, add some CE protectors in the knees, and throw on some underarmor to keep you cool. This is better option than using jeans or paying for the Icon Name in my opinion.

As far as Leather color, you dont have to get Black...they do offer more color options. In fact I think the BMW line of leathers has some sort of anti reflective coating and stay cool stuff in their leathers, just something to possibly look into. Just my $.02
wink.gif

I'd say the worst thing about the jeans is that they don't seem to have any impact protection. For abrasion, they'll probably hold up for a short, low-speed slide, but you have to hit the pavement first. You'll miss knee and hip protectors if you go down in them, i think.

and get a leather jacket...

Jacket should be okay but I don't know about the pants. Its not like I would suggest trying them out to see if they work.
blush.gif

I have decided to go with a perforated leather jacket...not sure which make or model yet. The torso and arms will take a lot of punishment in a slide/roll. I won't wear jeans (not enough) but I don't want leather pants either. I'm trying to find a tweener w/ Kevlar or aramid fibers.

In short I'm trying to find gear that will provide good protection but allow me to wear it out and about. I can always take a leather jacket off and I don't mind carrying a helmet and gloves. I just don't want to be walking around like the road warrior all the time.

Back