Textile or Mesh?

BusaBill

Donating Member
Registered
I have a basic idea of what the difference just by reading the descriptions but as far as protective quality, what are the pros and cons?

I wanted leather but with the heat and humidity here in the summer, I know I won't wear it and it won't do me any good hangin' in the closet. I hope one of these will be better than nothin'.

Was thinkin' about this one...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.as....ision=1

Mesh is much cooler, but I think textile gives you more protection.

(GSXTacy @ Mar. 10 2007,11:41) Mesh is much cooler, but I think textile gives you more protection.
Check out newenough.com you can usually get a nice mest jacket for about $50 to $75.

That's what I thought...I can live with that. Has to be better than a t-shirt.
SHOCKED.gif

Don't be silly.

With the rash of accidents I have witnessed lately, BUY LEATHER !!!!!!

I saw a mesh shred to pieces in a 25-30 mph lowside .

There are excellant perforated leathers on the market that I wear in 90 + degree weather.

And if it get to hot just soak your underlayer in water .

I wouldn't recommend any textile if you plan on crashing at any speed over 25mph... Here are pics form my incident last year, I was wearing textile (mesh is much worse)...  
wow.gif

I am getting perforated leather for the hot months this year...  
beerchug.gif

First let me say that what ever jacket you decide on make your you have CE armor in it.
I have a textile and a perforated leather jacket. Like both, use both.
I will say that I prefer my leather an while riding it's great. But soon as you stop for any period of time or get stuck in traffic you'll feel as if you'v gone straight to hell.
There are trade offs as there are i all things. Whatever you decide buy quality. After all it is you body we're talking about

I don't expect any of my protective gear to "survive" an accident. Its only job is to protect me in the case of a fall and to give its "life" in the process. While it should be obvious that Leather is better than Textile and Textile is better than Mesh - all three are FAR superior to nothing (and that includes jeans and a t-shirt).

Buy the best that you can afford no matter which one you get.

I don't expect my gear to survive an accident either. It looks like the jacket did it's job, in my opinion. I see a couple failures in stitching but that can happen with leather, too. Bottom line is your skin doesn't look like your jacket and that's a GOOD thing!

Remember your buying this for PROTECTION in a crash or get off ! So, which do you want to be wearing when you need it for PROTECTION !

Remember, dress for the CRASH you don't have  
beerchug.gif

(Leo @ Mar. 10 2007,09:54) I wouldn't recommend any textile if you plan on crashing at any speed over 25mph... Here are pics form my incident last year, I was wearing textile (mesh is much worse)...
wow.gif

beerchug.gif
Exactly! Until MotoGP switches to textile, stick with leather

I wear mesh. Very comfortable. Buy something you are going to wear. If you know you aren't going to wear the leather then dont waste your money on it. And you are right about it doing better than a Tshirt. Bottom line is the mesh prolly wont protect you very well against road rash, it's not designed to. It's armored to help save your joints and spine and thats all its going to do. I can live with some road rash.

(WWJD @ Mar. 10 2007,17:55)
(Leo @ Mar. 10 2007,09:54) I wouldn't recommend any textile if you plan on crashing at any speed over 25mph... Here are pics form my incident last year, I was wearing textile (mesh is much worse)...  
wow.gif

beerchug.gif
Exactly!   Until MotoGP switches to textile, stick with leather
I agree that leather provides the most protection from abrasion. I'm not racing MotoGP though, and I don't have a sponsor to provide my gear.  I live in an urban area where an outright impact is more likely than a high speed slide.  If I go down, it'll most likely be someone pulling out in front of me at traffic speeds and I'll lay it down or I'll collide with an unmovable object.  I've seen alot of fatal MC crashes and I can't think of a single one that was caused by road rash. Sure, if I had the money right now I'd get leather, just because I like to have the best, hence the 'busa. But, would it really make that much of a difference? It seems to be more about the stitching and armor than the carrier itself. I don't know, I hope I don't have to find out the hard way.

I appreciate everyones input!
bowdown.gif

Road Rash is only one (and the minor one) thing that leather protects against. I see most (I would say 90%) of the people riding bikes with little or NO protection. And those light Harley Fashion Jackets, well, I guess they are better than NOTHING, but with no armor, light and thin leather, they're not much help. Because if you go down, they will roll up just like a sleeping bag with you outside of it  
SHOCKED.gif
. Me, if it's too hot  
firedevil.gif
 for my perforated leathers and cool vest, IT'S TOOOOO HOT TO RIDE  
wink.gif

I learned along time ago, I don't have to practice being miserable to know I can live through it
laugh.gif

(Black Bird Killer @ Mar. 10 2007,18:09) I wear mesh.  Very comfortable. I can live with some road rash.
Famous last words, BBK.

I want to hear you say that when your writhing in agonizng pain as they remove the embedded asphault from under your skin in the ER.

SHOCKED.gif
  That would certainly ruin your day.  I think I'll just have to get both.  I'll pick up the textile jacket for now until my budget will allow some good leather. I've only gone down once and I was just wearing my Carhartt jacket, jeans and boots and besides feeling like I was body slammed on the pavement, I was O.K.

(Over_Easy @ Mar. 11 2007,12:13)
(Black Bird Killer @ Mar. 10 2007,18:09) I wear mesh.  Very comfortable. I can live with some road rash.
Famous last words, BBK.

I want to hear you say that when your writhing in agonizng pain as they remove the embedded asphault from under your skin in the ER.
Was in ICU for 5 days. Still wear mesh
wink.gif

leather all the way...some leather jacket is looks like over killed(some ppl said) but to me? nothing is overkilled in event of crash...
this jacket is perfect for summer, with some cold gear shirt underneith...I went thru summer like my AC turned on...
wink.gif

My_new_skin_004__Small_.jpg

My new riding jacket is made by Olmypia. Uses Dupont Cordura Shell, with CE approved armor, zip out insulated , and waterproof liners. The best feature I thought was comfort over stiffer textile. Suppose to be superior to textile for abrasion resistance. Also came with matching zip on pants.

Back