Gutted convertor

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
I am regretting selling my R-77 a few months ago. I sold it for a small profit with the intentions of getting a Brocks. I knew the Brocks was alot louder, but after hearing it in person, decided I would just buy another R-77,(a couple extra hp wasn't worth the extra noise) especially since they are much cheaper now. (In case the thread police are keeping up, this is why I asked about powdercoating the muffler pipe on an R-77 last week)
Anyhow, in the meantime, I'm considering gutting the factory converter. I have done several on cars over the years, and they're not too bad to get the guts out of.
I can tell the powerloss and weight gain since the return of the stock pipes. Has anyone else done this? Pros, cons, input?
Just a possible cheap fix til I buy another R-77.

if the cat is ok, the power loss is negligible... bike is also tuned with the thing in place...

the BIG con I can come up with is if you ever need to have it on there for emissions inspection... (never say never) Left coast and southwest folk may be in need of these soon enough..

Thanks guys, just a thought. The stock muffler mods look good too, but a little more effort than I care to put into the soon to gone again stockers.:thumbsup:

Back when converters first came out everyone wanted them off or gutted. We thought they really hindered the exhaust flow. Turned out that that wasn't the problem, The engines just didn't have any H.P. To answer the question, I agree with Bogus. I don't think it'll make a difference and you may need it one day to pass emission tests. Everyone selling their factory exhaust cheap may wish they had held on to them.

I was just looking thru some old threads. I came across one were the convertor was gutted and the the mufflers were shortened by 10 inches. They claimed 4 to 5 hp, this seems possible. I'm not lookin for big noticeable gains, but not a loss. A friend of mine has his old set, he'd probably give em to me.
If I mod those and do the marble trick, should be ok. Any suggestions? I have more time than money right now.

Back