GSXR 1000 vs. Hayabusa

tlrbandit

Registered
This may sound like a no brainer but it is a decision I am really struggling with. I have been saving to buy a new 2006/7 GSXR 1000 and now that it is time to buy I am torn between the GSXR and the Hayabusa. In the past 4 years I have gone to the track once a month, but due to some fairly serious injuries I received in January of this year I really don't see myself being track ready for at least another year.

I have posted here before that my Dad just bought a Hayabusa and I have been fortunate enough to put a few miles on it and honestly this bike has really won me over. For the kind of riding I do right now, this bike fits me perfectly, not to mention the fact that my wife loves it. What I struggle with though, is that for the same amount of money I can get a GSXR 1000 with current techonlogy and requires virtually no modification for what I want.

For 75% of the riding I do the Hayabusa would actually be a better fit for me, but I am still hesitant to go out and buy 1999 technology over the 2006 especially knowing that I have to give up some track ability once or if I get back in shape enough to go to the track.

Anyone been in the same predicament here, made the decision and been happy with it? How about unhappy with it? Really, any input here would be helpful. I need to decide soon though because the Hayabusa I would get is only at a few dealers if that is the way I go.

Only way I would trade my Busa is if I became a track junkie and even then I would never buy a NEW bike for the track. You're going to lay it down as you have learned so get a reliable used 600, 750 or 1000. Only pro racers can use all the performance wrapped up in today's litre bikes. I'd go with the 750 if your ego will let you.

You can take the Busa to the track...many here do. It will be expensive if you wreck it though (plastics and what not).

Hey, Bandit. You mentioned your wife....does that mean you guys ride two-up? If so, you're right; it's a no-brainer. If not, the '07 1000 is a re-design and I'm sure deserves a good look. I'm 49, ride very spiritively, for lack of a better term, in the twisties, and love the Busa.

(CorrodedAlien @ Oct. 09 2006,14:12) Y not buy a used Busa...  Keep it for a year (or 3) and then get something else.
+1 Then you can get the '09 Busa. Second year of the new model, any bugs will/should be worked out by then.

We don't ride two up that often, but when we do it's usually a fairly long (300 miles or so) kind of ride. I learned a long time ago not to push it on the street, so most average monkeys will get through a canyon ride faster than me. I have a little over 640,000 street miles under my belt and the only accident I have been in was at Willow Springs, turn 2 in 1990. My recent injuries were due to a dirt bike get off that resulted in a broken hip, pelvis, femur and shoulder with quite a few damaged muscles and ligaments.

Even though I can get around a track pretty quickly and have raced my 1000's the last several years, with my current physical condition I just don't see me getting back to the track within the next 12 months. Because of this, my CBR 1000 has been parked while my 1200 Bandit is getting all the ride time. I'm getting better and can do short rides on the CBR, but anything over a few hours and I am dying. The GSXR is more comfortable than my CBR and puts less strain on my hip (I have lots of rods in their now) and that's why I still consider the GSXR an option.

Just my .02 cents.

I have had an R6, R1, TLR 1000, and now a Busa. Since Im not a canyon monkey and I do enjoy an occasional long ride, I wouldn't trade the Busa for anything (one up or two up). I can still get through the turns better than some, but as you said, with 20 years and 500,000 miles under my belt with no mishaps, I know not to push it on the streets anyway. Busa, old technology and all, is it for me.

Go busa. I like the canyons and meet up with many of the young bucks on the litre bikes (at the watering hole) and they are always bent over (complaining about their backs) Busa riders can stand erect.

I kinda like My old technology, what I mean by that is the Busa platform right now is PROVEN, but if your going back to the track within a year the 1k is going to be better, but just for everyonce in a while is it worth it?, but for a little track and alot of street time, the Busa is the more comfortable bike IMHO

(tlrbandit @ Oct. 09 2006,13:27) I have posted here before that my Dad just bought a Hayabusa and I have been fortunate enough to put a few miles on it and honestly this bike has really won me over.  For the kind of riding I do right now, this bike fits me perfectly, not to mention the fact that my wife loves it.  

For 75% of the riding I do the Hayabusa would actually be a better fit for me, but I am still hesitant to go out and buy 1999 technology over the 2006 especially knowing that I have to give up some track ability  once or if I get back in shape enough to go to the track.
You answered your own question. Besides, 75% of your riding style as alot. Why get a bike that only suites 25% of your riding style?
rock.gif

Also, you mention 1999 technology. Here's the thing. Although its old technology, it still out accelerates, out torques, out comforts, out stables. out after-markets (if that's even a word), and can achieve a higher top speed than 99% of the other production bikes out there. The ZX-14 takes the other 1% but that due to its torque and acceleration. All else mentioned pretty much favors the Busa. Not to mention the fact that the Busa is a proven bike. There's a reason why that 1999 technology still sells.

(getting a bike that only suites 25% of your riding style , is wasting your money)

(Guclu @ Oct. 09 2006,05:58) (getting a bike that only suites 25% of your riding style , is wasting your money)
+1

That being said, 25% of my riding is done on streets now and 75% is at the track. That's why I sold my Busa and went Gixxer.

The Busa handles much better than most ppl think. It's not bad at the track. It just cant outbrake most of the smaller bikes and cant take corners as fast as them due to overall physics. the busa is flickable, but not nearly as much as my 1K.

Seriously, what kind of advice do you expect to get from a site that is for Hayabusa enthusiasts?

its funny you asked the question, busa vs. gsxr1k, i went thru the same dilema and thot i was the only 1 having this kind of decision to make, anyways i went with the 1k last may and rode it until august and traded it for my 2003 busa. my 2006 gsxr1k was a nice bike but that seat sucks, tryed the gel seat and it was worse. i had both and the busa is way way better,comfortable,handles straits and twisties very well,and it draws stares like you cant believe. its by far the best sporting motorcycle out there bar none

if the 1K only fits 25% of your riding...then nothing to think about

if I did it all over again, I would go w/ the 1K: trick it out-nothing but performance!!!!!!!!!

I WILL NEVER GET RID OF MY BUSA!! I could buy a Hummer or a Vette w/ what I put into it. And all around it can do everything! I got it because I was tired of trading up. IMO this is the ultimate bike. Just my opinion, but mine is the ultimate big-bore-everything I could possibly want. And still modding.

I will get the new 1K. When this project is finished. And probably the new Busa after that.

But go with what works best for you. As far as technology. I'm not getting alot of competition from the newer bikes w/ my old technology
biggrin.gif

Every bike is incredible in its own right. Just find the one best for you. And I too think you answered your own question!

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. This year has been really tough, mainly due to my injuries and the change it has made on my life. It has been real hard to accept that my desert racing / road racing days may very well be over and that is why I have had so much difficulty making a decision to go with the Busa. It's kind of like accepting the fact that racing/track riding is no longer an option, or accepting the fact that you have gotten older and can no longer do what you did when you were younger.

After a lot of thought, and some sound advice, I went out and bought a brand new 2006 Limited Edition Hayabusa. I will say this decision made my wife real happy. Even though she is tiny she hated the seat on my CBR and she is not a big fan of my Bandit.

The really good news, my wife has already said I can go ahead and spend whatever money I need to make the bike the way I want!
smile.gif

Pics to follow.

Back