GSXR 1000 question

kevmoxj

Registered
my friend is looking to buy a 2001 GSXr1000 and the guy hes buying it from has a slipon exhaust on it. He told us that ever since he put the exhaust on the FI light flashes . Does that sound right or is this guy trying to screw my buddy over? I don't know that much about them so im here to ask. Thanks

the guy probably did not disable the exup valve wire to the ECU if there is one for that year..

oh ok thanks. im new to bikes myself so im pretty much clueless. And i dont want my buddy getting screwed over . thanks a lot

I can't say 100% for sure, but my brother had an '02, which is the same thing, and his bike was bone stock other than a Yosh slip-on and his FI light never flashed.

Go do some searching on Gixxer.com. I'm betting you'll find just what you're looking for if you use the search feature.

--Wag--

I know that on the Busa, if you install a slip-on and don't remove the baffle (like me), there's nothing else needed. However, if you also remove the baffle, you need to install a Power Commander, and you also need to "open up" the airbox by installing a less restrictive air filter. The idea is that, while more exhaust is flowing out, the engine is being starved for air on the other end. Maybe that's what's happening to the Gixxer and causing the FI light to flash?

Last edited:
the engine is being starved for air on the other end. Maybe that's what's happening to the Gixxer and causing the FI light to flash?
not a true statement because when the engine draws in air it comes through the intake valve..the exhaust valve is closed...

GPW hit the nail on the head. I had on 06 and had to clip the wire going to the ECU. If you check the website of the replacement exhaust maker it will probably tell you which wire to remove.

I know that on the Busa, if you install a slip-on and don't remove the baffle (like me), there's nothing else needed. However, if you also remove the baffle, you need to install a Power Commander, and you also need to "open up" the airbox by installing a less restrictive air filter. The idea is that, while more exhaust is flowing out, the engine is being starved for air on the other end. Maybe that's what's happening to the Gixxer and causing the FI light to flash?

I don't think so :laugh:
Posted via Mobile Device

Back