Grr - broken speed sensor nut

maoz

Registered
The Hayabusa service manual was less than helpful on giving the proper instructions on how to remove the speed sensor nut that is attached to the engine sprocket shaft. Well I thought I had to use a wrench on the nut, and didn't notice the allen head bolt until too late. I broke off one of the four nubs on the speed sensor nut.
cussing.gif
My question is - do I need to buy a new speed sensor nut or can I still use this one? I don't see the functionality of the nub I broke off but perhaps I am missing something. Thanks so much for any help, I want to get this taken care of ASAP.
smile.gif

busanut1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hayabusa service manual was less than helpful on giving the proper instructions on how to remove the speed sensor nut that is attached to the engine sprocket shaft.  Well I thought I had to use a wrench on the nut, and didn't notice the allen head bolt until too late.  I broke off one of the four nubs on the speed sensor nut.  
cussing.gif
My question is - do I need to buy a new speed sensor nut or can I still use this one?  I don't see the functionality of the nub I broke off but perhaps I am missing something.  Thanks so much for any help, I want to get this taken care of ASAP.
smile.gif
I would probably just buy a new one, it cannot be that expensive.  

Sucks that the service manual didn't help...

Is it just me or does that thing look really cheapo
It's not you Bro, It's something that really torques me about Suzuki...building to a price point is one thing, but I would have gladly paid another couple of grand for a bit more attention to detail and some better quality/materials.

It isn't more than $13 with shipping but I would like to ride this week (the part won't be here until late next week). I am almost positive it won't cause a problem riding as is. I'm not sure why it has the four nubs - on other areas of a motor vehicle it would have the four nub design to be used as a castle nut (i.e. so you could stick a cotter pin in the shaft to ensure the nut never comes loose). Any thoughts on this?

You might have vibrations from being out of balance if this thing spins. A small imbalance can cause a big problem at speed. Where is this thing mounted?

It is mounted on the drive shaft which the front sprocket is affixed to.  The part's technical name is:  Rotor Speed Sensor.  I am assuming that it merely helps the speed sensor gauge how fast you are going....  Does this sound plausible to you?

its no prob to ride with a broken tab on the speedo rotor, only problem is ur speedo will read 25% lower than usual.. this is the problem i had for my first year with the busa til i figured it out.
u can even ride without one, and have no speedo.
not sure if this affects the odometer, but without one and no milage adding to the bike would be nice :p

Curt - that is great information!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for your insight into this problem! Now if I can just get the front sprocket changed tonight I'll be good to ride. Thanks again!
smile.gif

Curt - that is great information!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for your insight into this problem! Now if I can just get the front sprocket changed tonight I'll be good to ride. Thanks again!
smile.gif
Hey Bro I think I have a good idea for you. To avoid any potential vibes or weirdness take a dremmel or whatever you have handy and cut off the opposite side of the one that broke off. Help keep things from getting bizzarre. Then to hell with your speed being accurate until the part shows up.

MikeUSF has been riding with no speedo for quite a while...No Tickets and hauls ass everywhere. It's like he is freakin blessed or something....

Just a thought though, trim up the opposite side and keep thing balanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't hurt anything to ride it that way but your speedo will read 25% low. If your doing 100 it will read 75.

The old lady kept me from working on the bike last night so tonight I hope to get the new sprocket on. Revlis - that is a good idea, just to balance everything out. I will do that tonight.
biggrin.gif
Thanks again guys!

The Hayabusa service manual was less than helpful on giving the proper instructions on how to remove the speed sensor nut that is attached to the engine sprocket shaft. Well I thought I had to use a wrench on the nut, and didn't notice the allen head bolt until too late. I broke off one of the four nubs on the speed sensor nut.

View attachment 420570 My question is - do I need to buy a new speed sensor nut or can I still use this one? I don't see the functionality of the nub I broke off but perhaps I am missing something. Thanks so much for any help, I want to get this taken care of ASAP. View attachment 420571

View attachment 3119
So you have a excuse for speeding
It will read 3/4 speed

Back