Growing up in the 70's

the 70's were a great time to grow up! babysitters all wore mini-skirts and no bras and were more than happy to let me sit in their laps :laugh: life sure didn't seem as complicated back then!

It was before AIDS came along....and danged if that didn't hit right about the time I hit maturity!! :banghead: that changed EVERYTHING.

I always enjoyed our Polish cannon wars.

We used the old seamed beer cans.

With Dumb - Ep 2 - Polish Cannon - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, those were the days..I know for sure I wore out at least 2-3 BigWheel...and not sure if I ever had the Green Machine, but do recall someone in the `Hood` had one.
My favorite was the Huffy Thunder Road..wore out 2 of them, and could ride it on the back wheel all the way up the street:laugh:
1977 Huffy Thunder Road - BMXmuseum.com

loved my sitters...my gt cruiser, my freedom.....was a blast. thanks for the post that put all that back in my head. great times!!

Who had one of these, I was hot stuff baby!

I had a Green Machine in 1976 ( I was 6)... most bad-@$$ ride of all my friends. Too bad it was that colour. :laugh:

I graduated up to a BMX bicycle in 1978:

6743381851_0c272797a6_b.jpg

I'm the blonde kid on the left, good times! :thumbsup:

Back when we made a go kart from a coffee table, a crate, some boards, a few ropes, and old lawn mower tires. A jump was a piece of plywood and a few bricks. And you were awesome if you could ride a wheelie for more than a second or two.

man o man that takes me back.....we used to bust those wheels competing who wud make the baddest donut or the longest skid marks

My friend had a Green Machine.. I remember not being able to wait to get to spend the night over at his house, I couldnt wait for after school so I could spin around on the Green Machine

Loved my big wheel. I didn't even know what drifting was, as a matter of fact I don't think the term was in use then, but I could drift mine!!

I remember grape soda in a bottle I bought out of a machine where all the bottles were lined up vertically behind a glass door. Pop the top with the built in bottle opener on the machine. Watched my first"R" rated movie when my cousin who was seventeen snuck me in. It was only rated "R" because of some blood. Spent many days and time after school in my tripple level treehouse/fort. Playing smear the queer, a football variant (no disrespect, that is just what we called it and we didn't even know why), no worries about political correctness, that horror would come later.....Wasn't worried about style, patches sewn on the knees of my pants was just...normal! I could go on and on, but startin to feel pretty old!! :laugh:

My Big Wheel had that awesome blue hand brake on the right rear wheel! If you were good you could do a 360...if you were really good you could roll it over!

photo0.jpg

Then there was the Chuckle Bug. I remember it so well. :laugh: You could go in reverse, then jam the stick shift forward and the front end would wheelie. It would tilt all the way back and hit the spare tire which also free wheeled. One drive wheel still powered and the spare tire touching the ground rotating allowed for fast 360 wheelies! And YES it was made to do that!

My first wheelie....how long do you think this would last on the market today?

photo1.jpg

nope...lived in the country...didnt have any of those as only had grass to ride on....more fun was on atc70 parents won when local motorcycle shop opened...we had a track we made in the woods and would race it... i spent more time in the woods shooting old cars and anything that moved with our 22's... reloading 357's...shoot....reload again...yep....that was about it....lol

Back when we made a go kart from a coffee table, a crate, some boards, a few ropes, and old lawn mower tires. A jump was a piece of plywood and a few bricks. And you were awesome if you could ride a wheelie for more than a second or two.
You sure your not an Aussie cause that is exactly what we used to do:thumbsup:

I had the red Big Wheel and wore it out!! Great memories of living in CO, owning my little cul-de-sac :rofl:

Pretty sure I was gangsta before gangsta was good :laugh:

Back