Grips

kdogg

Registered
Hello ORG,got a new set of Roarin Toyzs diamond cut grips and of corse no instructions! My buddy says to take off end bars and cut off stock grips,get some glue and pop on new grips.Any info would be helpful on how to do this project correctly and what kind of glue do you use? The grips are a one piece unit made of bullet aluminum. Thanks:bowdown:

What your buddy said is how I seen them do it at the shop. The only other thing is at the shop they sometimes use an air compressor to help slide the grips on the bars (but those are the rubber type grips). I like those billet Roarin Toyzs diamond cut grips, thinking about getting a set myself.

Thats what i thought,do you know what kind of glue to use so they dont slip off? The grips are cool lookin,i have the 08 blue/gold and the grips are gold and fade into black and i already have gold blade style levers.thanks for the info!

Pretty easy job. On the throttle grip, you have to tap off the little white clips. I used a flat tip and a rubber mallet and just tapped them off. Slipped the old grips off, and slid the new ones on. If they are like my hand grips, I didnt use the sleeve provided.

Pretty easy job. On the throttle grip, you have to tap off the little white clips. I used a flat tip and a rubber mallet and just tapped them off. Slipped the old grips off, and slid the new ones on. If they are like my hand grips, I didnt use the sleeve provided.

These are metel not rubber grips,so i dont need any kind of adhesive?I dont want them slippin off,just being cautious.Thanks again:bowdown:

These are metel not rubber grips,so i dont need any kind of adhesive?I dont want them slippin off,just being cautious.Thanks again:bowdown:

My aftermarket grips are metal as well. Mine have screws at the closest end to the bars to tighten the grips to the actual handle bar. If yours dont have screws to tighten, I would call roaring toyz and ask them what they suggest. I would think they included sleeves or screws to prevent slipping.

My aftermarket grips are metal as well. Mine have screws at the closest end to the bars to tighten the grips to the actual handle bar. If yours dont have screws to tighten, I would call roaring toyz and ask them what they suggest. I would think they included sleeves or screws to prevent slipping.

You are correct,thanks so much!:thumbsup:

Ok next question,i took off end bars and cut off old grips and theirs a plastic grip underneath does that need to come offcause the grip wont go over it.Iam doing the throttle side 1st.

if you're talking about the plastic throttle tube, no don't take that off. If you're talking about the little raised lip on the plastic tube towards the bar end, u may need to cut/file that lip off in order to slip your new grip over the throttle tube

At the risk of sounding stupid. I changed the grips on my old zx9 and I could not get the throttle grip on no matter what I did. I thought that I bought the wrong ones. Took them back to the store and the guy said just try the other grip on that side. The throttle grip is a lil bigger to allow for that plastic piece. U may have already knew this, but I didnt at the time. I switched them and it fit perfect
Posted via Mobile Device

if you're talking about the plastic throttle tube, no don't take that off. If you're talking about the little raised lip on the plastic tube towards the bar end, u may need to cut/file that lip off in order to slip your new grip over the throttle tube

I think i may need to file off the plastic lip on the end,DUH!Tells you how bad i am at installing anything!thanks:thumbsup:

That is the part I was talking about. The white plastic peace stays on. Inside your grips, there should be a sleeve you can take out on the throttle grip. If it does not have a sleeve that comes out, you should be able to firmly slide the grip over the white plastic throttle. Mine was a snug fit. Non throttle side was a breeze. Throttle side was the side with the clips I had to tap off.

At the risk of sounding stupid. I changed the grips on my old zx9 and I could not get the throttle grip on no matter what I did. I thought that I bought the wrong ones. Took them back to the store and the guy said just try the other grip on that side. The throttle grip is a lil bigger to allow for that plastic piece. U may have already knew this, but I didnt at the time. I switched them and it fit perfect
Posted via Mobile Device

its the plastic lip on the end thats needs to be filled off on throddle side.See your from C-Town too:beerchug:

When i did mine i took the throttle sleeve of the bike,so i could get a proper fit before installing it back on..i did some filing on the tube and had to cut some of the plastic tube the ring part outside where the grip goes..then placed the grip over the tube and installed it on the bike..

Posted via Mobile Device

Ya thats what i thought when i started doing mine too...but there both the same...

Ok project done! Thanks for everyones help:bowdown:

183.jpg

184.jpg

185.jpg

Back