GregBob

Registered
It went like this:

sunny trackday
warm
gsxr 1000
sticky tires
4th lap of 3rd session
passed a guy, passed another guy, passed another guy, passed another guy (hey, that last guy was faster than me last year...this is so coooool!)
in the zone
big left hander, 90mph, done this one hundreds of times, tip it in, just a little more lean than usual (huh? have to tuck my inside leg up more than i thought to get enough lean but no biggie, feels good, i'm really getting the hang of this).

what happened to the front end??? Incoming!!!! oooomph!!! body blow, body blow..sky ground sky ground sky ground...am i on batman and robin? (BANG!, KAHPLUUUEEE! SLAP! POW!) where did this group of thugs come from and why are they kicking the crap out of me? is that banging sound my head hitting the pavement? i almost forgot how hard and unforgiving asphalt is...they really should pad this stuff :banghead: :banghead: slide on back into the dirt.

I DON'T believe that just happened!! %$#*(%#@!%^&*$#@)+#@$%&^%%$$#%^&*&^%$#@@#@$%#^&*%$#@ The first person that comes near me is going to get kicked right in the giblits!!!

MY BIKE!!!! MY BEAUTIFUL SHINEY GENUINE HONG KONG PLASTIC COVERED BIKE!!! Now a smoking, oil and dirt covered pile. Face shields hide the tears.

Why is there blood streaming off my throbbing left hand through that big tear in my leather glove??? Oh god!!!! I'm hit!!!! Medic!!!! Medic!!! Oh, just a flesh wound...everything else seems to be ok. Is that gravel up my butt??

This is gunna be expensive. Who took a grinder to my $600 helmet?

Looks like backup hayabusa for two track days this thursday and friday at spokane....hair of the dog!!

Let's ride!!!! :thumbsup:

Ouch! Glad your okay. The bike can be fixed. How did the rest of you fare? Take a few pills and let us know in the morning. :beerchug:

SAY IT AIN'T SO....After you talk to Tuf (since I think he's going same place this weekend) post and tell us what you think happened. Don't be trying to haul your Busa around like that gixxer; don't want to hear another post like this. Hope you heal quickly.

Glad you are OK.... sounds like a big lesson learned.. but what was it? :laugh: how is the hand?

Dang you wrote that great, although I am very sorry for the lowside. I hope your hand is ok.

Dang that was entertaining! I'm really sorry it involved you though. Like others said, take some pills, relax and think about the new paint job you'll be getting. Glad to see you posting. Oh, and what brand of glove and how old?

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. :beerchug: I'm fine and ready to ride...couple bruises, left hand is a little swollen and bruised. Good thing i use my right:whistle:

The gloves were a brand name but experienced in the ways of the asphalt over the last 3 years and 50 track days and a couple get offs. Should have been using new ones with better armor.

I think this situation was the result of a conspiracy of factors. Most crashes are the result of a series of rider errors.

Probably just too much speed and more lean than i realized. Oversteered and tucked the front.

Tire pressure may have been a tad low (26 psi COLD should have been close to the recommended 29 warm on the bt002's but i didn't check before going out that session).

Instead of neutral throttle, i'm pretty sure i was off the throttle which added slowing forces to turning forces which helped overwhelm the front.

I really don't think I was on the front brake but sometimes in the heat of battle we do things we're not aware of. I'm learning the art of trail braking so it's possible i was still on the front brake too much.

What's the lesson? Slow down, take a couple steps back and gradually increase speed. Work with an instructor who can point out possilbe bad habits that have crept into my riding.

You know that saying: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. well if you're having too much fun, it's probably time to slow down.

Back