Greetings from Long Island, NY

DrewBone

Registered
So I decided to turn over a new leaf, and in my quest for another bike, I've found myself to be the owner of a 2005 LE Hayabusa in black, and as such, needing to get all up on things, I decided to join the forum for an edjumication and to say hello! Seems like a great crowd here...

Coming from a Hahley[sic] I was first interested in of course the v-twin sport bikes and had considered an '02 Honda Super Hawk, then an older 5th gen V-4 Honda Interceptor, then the Suzuki SV650's...well, one thing led to another and the next thing I know there's this '05 'Busa at a local stealership that I just couldn't let pass me by. "Too much bike?" I asked myself at first, then after some thinking I decided well you only live once and my right wrist will determine whether I live or die with this thing, LOL. I got the idea about the "Sport tourer" from a few guys I met down at the bluffs who were riding two 'Busa's and one ZX14, all decked out with hard bags, soft bags, tank bags, even had bags to put their bags in!! Two appeared to be in their late 50's and the other guy in his 40's, and I asked them what the deal was and one of the gentleman replied [paraphrasing], "Look, we ain't kids no more, we have nothing to prove. These bikes are great for touring...they ride like Cadillacs and have the power whenever it's required. We keep it under 75 mph all day long and can ride for hours and hours in comfort. What's not to like?" I guess that all stuck in my noggin'...

Anyway, about me...'just a 54 yo guy who rides a Sportster but I sure don't want a bagger; I want to experience this Sport tourer side of two wheels. About the bike...as it sits now with 12,000 miles it's got 6" swingarm extensions, full Yoshimura exhaust, PC3, new tires, is dropped in the rear [links] and front [aftermarket top plate], and has what appears to be HID lighting and some form of LED taillight combo...it of course has a few areas that I'd like to address, ie., the previous owner painted the front fairing AND the fuel tank over but looks like he did it while on a pogo stick with a spray can in a windstorm while being chased by his ex-wife with a pitchfork. They will both have to be removed and at the very least wet sanded or reshot. Also, he tinted the headlight lens AND each front directional lens to the point where they're about useless, and the rear lighting LED assy is nominal at best [of course there's no LED flasher relay, load equalizer, or resistors present either so they run quick]. I may or may not lose the swingarm extensions and I see perhaps a set of Helibars [or other method] in the near future to straighten up the riding position a bit for my not so nimble RA afflicted arse...other than that, I have no other "planned" mods, other than corrective ones.

Seeing as how I'm real anal about neatness, it has it's quirks; case in point...whoever did the lighting mods on this thing should be shot...a quick glance through the camel hump opening revealed the wiring from the aftermarket taillight assembly was tied into the lighting harness by cutting the factory connector [I do wiring on vehicles and always try to leave in the factory connector whenever possible for future use] and simply twisting the wires together, then they were wrapped with electrical tape, then covered in <gasp> duct tape. I've also spied the wiring for the HID headlamp that isn't secured well and about makes contact with the forks. I mean really...who does things like this??!!

Anyway, it should be a good learning experience for me and I'm looking forward to gleening alot of useful information here. I imagine some pictures will be forthcoming [EDIT* see below]...thanks for listening and see you guys and gals around...

Cheers!

=8^)

busa.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome,

The first thing you need to get rid of the the swingarm extension, it is useless for street carving.

Twisted throttle sells the mounts for the bike to add Givi or compatible hard bags.

SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Sidecarrier (Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa '99-'07) EVO Style for Givi, Micatech, Trax & Pelican Sidecases - TwistedThrottle.com

Depending on your comfort level, you can also add LSL high bars and then you really have a comfortable sport tourer. I have helibars and I am going to add 1 inch risers as well. I am used to real comfort for long distance.

https://www.spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebar-conversion.html

Enjoy the ride.

BB

Welcome,

The first thing you need to get rid of the the swingarm extension, it is useless for street carving.

Twisted throttle sells the mounts for the bike to add Givi or compatible hard bags.

SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Sidecarrier (Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa '99-'07) EVO Style for Givi, Micatech, Trax & Pelican Sidecases - TwistedThrottle.com

Depending on your comfort level, you can also add LSL high bars and then you really have a comfortable sport tourer. I have helibars and I am going to add 1 inch risers as well. I am used to real comfort for long distance.

https://www.spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebar-conversion.html

Enjoy the ride.

BB

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions! For now I'm just going to get it into shape, then ride it to see where my comfort level is, then take it from there!

Regards,
Andy =8^)

Back