Grab bar and hump

Thanks for the pics guys. I will do it this week end. That bar is important to a kids little hands. The back of the busa is slick and curvy everywhere. Nothing for them to hold onto when we are sitting at a light or they are adjusting their position.

I think its important for the kids to go on rides with me. Gives me a chance to spend some good 1 on 1 time with them doing something I have always loved. I am sure once they turn 16, they will want to get some bikes of there own and continue the tradition. My 2 cents.

Does anyone have a grab bar they don't want? I bought my 08 Busa last year. It was used with 160 miles on it. I got the seat and cowl but no grab bar.
Thanks for any help!

Nice Dad!!!

Yes he is. Kids love to take rides

I take mine off and on alot also...... I put a hex bit in my Dewalt and it takes a whole 1 min to install and remove.

Last edited:
Let me ask this question for the thousandth time; Why screw up the cowl? Personally, I think it looks tacky to have a passenger grab bar hanging off the back of an aerodynamic cowling.

Would have to agree a 1,000% :thumbsup: But, like otherz have stated......its up to one's discretion, its what makes all our babies our OWN! :beerchug:

I finally put mine on today. I think it looks great. But I am still at stock length. If I was 6 over, I might feel different. I'll upload some pictures when I take them.

Just saw this thread NOW after I spent the better part of a few hours modifying mine. It's totally do-able and there are 2 ways to tackle this:

1) Do what is shown and just dremel out the areas needed. The one thing for sure is you cannot use the stock 10mm bolts since they get in the way no matter how much material you remove. I like the idea of using a small flat self-tapping screw, why didn't I think of that! :beerchug:

2) You can retain the oem 10mm bolts and just dremel the inner sides. However you will need to add a few washers to space out the locking piece instead. This will essentially raise the rear cowl slightly but it allows clearance of the grab bar.

Personally, I WOULD never remove that rear grab bar - I use it all the time to move my bike around the garage and would never remove it in a million years! :cheerleader:

Thanks for the pics guys. I will do it this week end. That bar is important to a kids little hands. The back of the busa is slick and curvy everywhere. Nothing for them to hold onto when we are sitting at a light or they are adjusting their position.

Have you considered some of the backrest i see on this forum?

They look comfortable. Might get one for the wife and then take it off when riding solo :thumbsup:

Did my over the weekend. Used a piece of lexan plastic as shim cut to fit and mounted under the locking plate. Drilled hole dor the screws and mounted and used flush mount screws in the rear of the hump.:thumbsup: She looks like the bee's knees now.:cheerleader:

Have you considered some of the backrest i see on this forum?

They look comfortable. Might get one for the wife and then take it off when riding solo :thumbsup:

Yes I have. Still thinking about it. Just dont like the idea of putting $800 into seats that I hear are not every comfortable anyway. I might just buy the rear with the backrest and buy a gel front. But then I have two different material seats.

No desire to do it here, and I don't have any trouble getting her on stands. Pitbull forward handle rearstand FTW. :thumbsup:

Bumping an old thread that I used to help get this done on mine. I wanted to make the least amount of cuts as possible. 1st time using a dremel.

So originally i had taking some painters tape and then used a pencil to make some marks on the hump with what I needed to cut.

Then I took the black piece off the hump and fitted that to the bike. That let me know what was hitting so then I cut out the pieces there.

Had to expand my original cuts on the hump a little bit and then thin down the sides. Think it came out really well. My wife likes the hump too much when shes riding and I like it to help pivot the bike around in the garage.

Sorry for the badly rotated pictures. They were saved fine on my computer.

final not close.jpg

with dremel.jpg

finished.jpg

finished underneath.jpg

closeup edge.jpg

closeup finished.jpg

Those pics are from 09. I bumped a really old thread instead of creating a new one. Not suprised the photos don't work. But that's why I uploaded new ones from me doing it.

I will be doing mine, while I am home this time - I know that it isn't for everyone, but I like the look of the grab bar with the hump.

Reactions: Ham
Back