GPZ550 for my first?

O

outtahand

Comments please...

I heard about a GPZ550 yesterday for $700. The friend who told me about is a busa rider(copper 99!), has a gs1100, r6 and an '06 gsxr1000, but by no means a mechanic. He's logged close to 100,000 miles on bikes. He heard it, said it sounds good, runs good on the freeway. I don't have a pic yet, don't know year, mileage or cosmetic condition or even the color.

I'd like a durable bike, something not too complicated for me to learn to wrench on, parts are available at a reasonable price.

I'm looking for comments on known issues, qualities of the bike in terms of reliability, power performance, handling, rideability, what things will I need to look out for etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I`ve owned many Gpz`s over the years and the 550 is a fun bike to putt around on cause it feels like a really fast moped what i mean is it is quick and light, those things run forever and so simple to work onn, buy it and have fun.

Any of the GPZ series bikes from even as far back as '86 would make a great starter bike for sure. Several people I grew up with had GPZ's, 550's, 750's,late 80's mostly. All very durable to say the least, with quicker geometry, fairly light for it's time, better than averge performance, they were what the ZX series is based on now. A good set of skins aways does wonders for an older bike. I just picked up a '95 GPZ 1100 from a friends dad who hadn't rode it in about 3 years, new tires, chain and sprockets, and a new battery were just added in '06. A little TLC, and these are still a solid ride. $700 isn't bad though :beerchug:

95gpz11 007.jpg

95gpz11 008.jpg

95gpz11 010.jpg

95gpz11 017.jpg

I used to have an 83 1100. Very nice bikes. I dont see how you can go wrong learning on it. And for that price, you could probably sell it for what you paid for it when you upgrade. :beerchug:

Lamb learned alot on his GPZ550 in college. Good bike to learn on!:thumbsup:

I had a 1984 GPz 550, silver. It was a great bike. You could ride it all day and feel ok. It had 24000 trouble free miles on it when I sold it. Looking back, I wished Id kept it. :( I think you should buy it. Make sure to post up pics if ya get it. :)

I had a 750 GPZ, and it was a great bike. I love it and rode it for several years with no issures.... A great bike.

Back