1441 Carpenters Motor Everday Rider?

Jugghed

Registered
Hi All,

I am currently thinking about bringing my bike to Carpenters for the 1441 sport bike package. I have heard mixed things from people on using a modified motor for street riding. I believe it will be fine but have been told by others that it might ride too hot, not be reliable etc.

I plan on using the bike mainly for street and a once in a blue moon 1/4 mile run.

Any input on durability and ride ability of a 1441 motor would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I can help as that's what I have but a gen 1 , as a 1397 it ran cooler but not by much as a 1441 I did put a second fan on it with a switch , You also need to ask what size cams he's going to put in , He used 425/425 on mine Very big for the street . If I was going to do it all over again I might do a stage 1 turbo but then again that's becomes a open pit as Boost is never enough.

I can help as that's what I have but a gen 1 , as a 1397 it ran cooler but not by much as a 1441 I did put a second fan on it with a switch , You also need to ask what size cams he's going to put in , He used 425/425 on mine Very big for the street . If I was going to do it all over again I might do a stage 1 turbo but then again that's becomes a open pit as Boost is never enough.

Black Max- Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. I currently have some muzzy fans and the ECU set to turn on 10 degrees earlier. I think that should be enough but I will see what they recommend. The cam size with be 400+. The details on their site don't give the exact number. I will find out when I call this week. I have thought about a turbo but have been leaning towards a motor build. Thanks again!

Black Max- Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. I currently have some muzzy fans and the ECU set to turn on 10 degrees earlier. I think that should be enough but I will see what they recommend. The cam size with be 400+. The details on their site don't give the exact number. I will find out when I call this week. I have thought about a turbo but have been leaning towards a motor build. Thanks again!

Keep in mind that those cams will mandate that the bike idle at 1500 rpm . . anything less would be too little oil
pressure resulting in eventual damage. Please don't ask me how I know! On the other hand, a turbo will make more hp with stock cams and idle all day at 1100 rpm . . .

I'd say it comes down to how much riding you plan on doing with the bike. I know some guys who have 1441's. They will say up and down that it's streetable but they basically hop on it ride to the track and back. They aren't racking up hundreds of miles a day on them and taking weekend trips.

So the fact that you say "once in a blue moon" you plan on taking it to the track I don't think it's worth the $$$ and potential issues that could arrive from it. Better off just going the turbo route or doing a more conservative build

I'd say it comes down to how much riding you plan on doing with the bike. I know some guys who have 1441's. They will say up and down that it's streetable but they basically hop on it ride to the track and back. They aren't racking up hundreds of miles a day on them and taking weekend trips.

So the fact that you say "once in a blue moon" you plan on taking it to the track I don't think it's worth the $$$ and potential issues that could arrive from it. Better off just going the turbo route or doing a more conservative build

I appreciate the input. I am starting to lean towards going turbo. My ultimate goal is durability and it seems turbo would accomplish that. I normally take short trips but I do occasionally have a 300 mile day. From the brief research I have done, I think an RCC stage 1 turbo might be the answer. I'm going to do my homework now and figure out what the total cost would be for a bullet proof setup. Thanks again.

Yes my bike idles at about 1300 plus I have all the oil mods done , It is pretty much bullet proof with all the goodies Rods , HD output shaft trans done , you name it . Could I ride it 300 miles in a day ? yes but my ass would give out way before that. 100 miles to the shore then back in the same day is about all I can handle . I did not go with a turbo because I knew I'm the type that would be selling stage 1 for a 2 then 2 for a 3 and so on , what also turned me off on a turbo build was I have seen many turbo's that after stage 1 they are a full time job and things are always breaking plus the fact that someone I knew died on a 450 hp turbo when it spooled up on a tight turn

I appreciate the input. I am starting to lean towards going turbo. My ultimate goal is durability and it seems turbo would accomplish that. I normally take short trips but I do occasionally have a 300 mile day. From the brief research I have done, I think an RCC stage 1 turbo might be the answer. I'm going to do my homework now and figure out what the total cost would be for a bullet proof setup. Thanks again.

there is a parts list out there that details what to get for a good setup
rods pistons
stainless valves
65lb valve springs
ARP head studs, some people like APE.
cometic head gasket
heavy clutch springs
slave cylinder
If money isnt a concern id go for the ball bearing turbo vs a journal. Spools much better
when you turn the boost up some day, which you will, you can either go water injection or intercooler
RCC makes a badass intercooler, expensive but worth it. Again if you can swing it might as well.
Keeps the charge temps down which prevents detonation. Detonation KILLS even the most robust engine build.
65lb injectors
billet fuel rail

Back